2015 MLB Off Season

Remove this Banner Ad

very exciting one as a cubs fan.

What has happened so far?

B0KS5mUCAAALW-z.jpg

Wow didn't realise the upgrade was going to involve so much demolition. Smart way to re build the stadium without rebuilding it.

Yeah, pulled down the bleachers either side of the scoreboard, whilst leaving the outfield walls up. Need to reinforce everything for the signs/videoboard. I also saw something about the dispute with rooftop owner over their access due to a contract, and that 'expansion' would override the contract, so it's possible this slight bleacher expansion (300 extra seats) is a way to get around potential challenges. Sad to see the spot was sitting a year ago gone though.

I think for the rest of the stadium they're keeping the structure and replacing alot of the concrete due to age (NFI how that is done). Also moving bullpens under the expanded bleachers and making a new clubhouse next door.

So Joe Maddon opted out of his Tampa Bay contract, sending everything into a spiral of rumours.

Cubs apparently keen to talk to him. Rick Renteria did a good job this year generally, has a contract through 2016. But this is a bit of a game changer. Maddon is a very good manager and, having heard him interviewed, seems like a top bloke as well. Would feel bad for RR if he got turfed through nothing of his own doing, but would love to have Maddon in the dugout

So Joe Maddon opted out of his Tampa Bay contract, sending everything into a spiral of rumours.

Cubs apparently keen to talk to him. Rick Renteria did a good job this year generally, has a contract through 2016. But this is a bit of a game changer. Maddon is a very good manager and, having heard him interviewed, seems like a top bloke as well. Would feel bad for RR if he got turfed through nothing of his own doing, but would love to have Maddon in the dugout

Hearing a few rumors of Maddon and the Dodgers.

Hearing a few rumors of Maddon and the Dodgers.
Dodgers have denied, but their new president of baseball is the GM that just left Tampa Bay.

Clubs aalways deny this so who knows. Same situation, Mattingly si signed through 2016. Although i'd hazard a guess he's on more money than RR and would need a bigger payout

Jesus. One of the top prospects in baseball, Cardinals OF Oscar Taveras, has died in a car crash.

Kind of takes a lot of attention away from this whole World Series thing... just awful news.

I thought Taveras was gonna be a excellent player, showed some good things 2nd half of the season for the Cards. Absolute tragedy.

Although everything is irrelevant after news like this but our roster needs a shake up, have to get pitching even if it means we trade out some guys like Kendrick, Aybar etc. Hamilton's contract would be nice as well haha

I think scherzer will get paid big time, and wouldn't be surprised at all if he was opening day starter for the Yankees.

Hopefuly Lester or Shields end up at the Cubs.

Maddon not official yet but looks very close to being done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't there another prospect who died in a car crash in the DR during the offseason 3 or so years ago too?

A young couple at the start of the prime of their life's gone just like that. Very sad indeed.

What are your thoughts on Maddon/Renteria, Bomber Bears ?

Is Maddon such an upgrade? How did you rate Renteria in his sole season?
Not a knock on Renteria but I am ecstatic to have Maddon. Remember hearing him interviewed when Rays were at Wrigley this year and just sounded like such a genuine, stand up guy, one of the few people in sports who was really good to hear interviewed because they had something to say. For where the club is at, with the amount of youth and the potential of some good free agents coming in, he is perfect.

I do feel bad for Renteria, because I think he did a reasonable job. He helped foster a more positive environment than last year, which was pretty tough to watch. There were queries over his in game stuff (partly just due to juggling young bullpen arms, but the endless sac bunts were pretty frustrating) and his post game was never particularly inspiring, nothing answers and such.

I was reading some stuff on the value of managers and sabermetrics and such, rated the very best manager as a 2 WAR option, and I sort of think talent will generally win out in the game situations over the season. I think maddon is absolutely perfect though to foster the environment where players back themselves, back there ability and are relaxed in the spot.

If maddon weren't available I would be perfectly happy with Renteria still being there, but I'm very happy that when Maddon opted out they werent right after him.

Yeah, that's fair enough. The consensus seems to be that Renteria didn't do a bad job, but Maddon is better. The Cubs' statement announcing Renteria's firing was all class. If only all sporting teams were so transparent, eh? Gonna be fascinating to watch the Cubs over the next few years.

As for my Dodgers, we're assembling a heck of a team of nerds in our front office. All of the appointments seem to be highly credentialed, but they won't be out there hitting the home runs and pitching complete game shutouts. Here's hoping the players they identify do that!

Talk of a new deal for Giancarlo.........$325m 13 years...are the Marlins mad??!!

They must be. You would think they would want to see how he goes returning from the hit in the face before committing big time.

Part of me thinks it is a media ploy to convince fans that they genuinely tried to keep Stanton to avoid a backlash when he departs via free agency or they trade him.

Braves making a few moves early under the new GM (trying to fix some of Wren's mistakes)

La Stella to the cubs - kid did alright in debut year but was never the future 2b, got a kid in Double-A who will probably be 2016 starter.
Heyward to cards - what we need is pitching and to get Miller is a good thing (sounds like the prospect we also got will be good as well) Sad to see Heyward go but he was probably gone at seasons end anyway through free agency.

Talk of Gattis to LF and J Upton to RF, lose alot in defense with heyward gone but keep gattis power and get betancourt in as catcher. Braves are all about building for 2017 season in their new ballpark so dont expect much in 2015 and a few more moves before 2016 starts.

These crap contracts Wren did for Uggla and BJ Upton has really hurt us and now have to try and shed payroll to plan for future. Just got to hope BJ can turn it around at least a little

Russell Martin looked set for the cubs yesterday (4 years, 64 million), wake up today and he's signed for five year, 82 million at the Blue Jays.

And Giancarlo Stanton with a 13 year, $325 million extension with Miami. Opt out after 5 years, no trade protection of some sort as well

Russell Martin looked set for the cubs yesterday (4 years, 64 million), wake up today and he's signed for five year, 82 million at the Blue Jays.

And Giancarlo Stanton with a 13 year, $325 million extension with Miami. Opt out after 5 years, no trade protection of some sort as well

Back-ended contract for Stanton. If he opts out of the contract after the first six seasons, he leaves $218 million on the table. The theory is that the Marlins can spend money on putting talent around Stanton. According to ESPN, he makes $6.5 million next year, $9 million in 2016, $14.5 million in 2017 and $77 million in the following three seasons.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11897600/giancarlo-stanton-325m-miami-marlins-heavily-backloaded

Remove this Banner Ad

Back