Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Just home from Adelaide and very impressed with Adelaide Oval.

Few down sides to the stadium is the management of the place. A lot of the bars and food outlets closed on lower tier in southern stand even though it was full.
Gates locked at full time between the two stands with staff saying they have to wait till instructed to open. Wasnt until Cops got them to open them before everyone could exit.

The closed outlets when only level 1 was open in the Riverbank stand was a little odd. If the whole stand was open I can understand less outlets open, but with just the one level open they should've opened everything.

I think the locked gates between the stands was a police/security issue. With the way the Victory active area was behaving, security would've probably been instructed by the police to keep them penned in until the crowd thinned out.

For a football/cricket match that would never happen.

I think the locked gates between the stands was a police/security issue. With the way the Victory active area was behaving, security would've probably been instructed by the police to keep them penned in until the crowd thinned out.

For a football/cricket match that would never happen.
Security and Coppers wanted it open was an attendant in a blue Oval t-shirt that refused to until management said. I was in Victory away bay and we wernt being held back after match so was all good that way.
Guy has balls I'll give him that!!

I think this being the first big event (not AUFC v Malaga) that wasn't cricket/aussie rules (eg third party also involved) there may have been some teething issues, eg opening outlets, gates, etc. Don't know who has control of what for these kinds of events.

As for the pitch. I'm surprised that, given the ground hasn't been used since the SANFL Grand Final almost a month ago, the grass wasn't longer.

Grass would begin being prepared for cricket season - where the grass is much shorter than for the footy. be more suprised it wasnt like a billiard table out there.

Grass would begin being prepared for cricket season - where the grass is much shorter than for the footy. be more suprised it wasnt like a billiard table out there.
Thing is, it's had a month to grow to longer level, and it only takes one or maybe two mows to cut it short again.

The grass issue may be that they were putting the cricket pitches in overnight immediately after the game last night, as from 8am today (Sat) the stones crew were starting to put the stage together for the concert, so they may not have had much time to worry about the surface.

The problem they would have had with the tickets is that all of the top deck of the Eastern stand was Reserved seating, so rather than just buying a GA Ticket (as it was for the SANFL Grand Final ) each person, literally had to choose a seat, one of my mates from work, got to the gates at 6:45pm and didn't get in until 5 minutes before half time ( 1 hour in the line).

This may have been a way for United to make more money as there were more reserved seats ($46.00) than GA Seats ($30.00). All of the Western stand, & Level 3 & 5 of Eastern stand were Reserved seats, only Level 1 was General Admission prices.

Last edited:
The ground surfaced is definitely going to be trashed for the 1st Shield game which is only 6 days after the Rolling Stones concert, the northern end, where the stage will be and the rest of the ground too as there will be around 15000 people sitting and standing all night on it.

The problem they would have had with the tickets is that all of the top deck of the Eastern stand was Reserved seating, so rather than just buying a GA Ticket (as it was for the SANFL Grand Final ) each person, literally had to choose a seat, one of my mates from work, got to the gates at 6:45pm and didn't get in until 5 minutes before half time ( 1 hour in the line).

I'd be surprised if Ticketek were letting everyone pick a seat for the Eastern/Western Stands at the gate - usually they just give you best available and you get no say (especially when there's big line ups). You didn't get a say if you bought them online, it was best available.

Yeah it could be that with the grass. Disappointing. Really wouldn't take long to mow the ground while dropping in pitches and then mow the last bit where the pitch dropper drives. Otherwise the grass might get a bit long before the concert. But not "up to your ankles" long.
Would be interesting to get a response from SMA about this.

The problem with the tickets is that, even with all the statements by AO/AUFC/SMA that all ticket boxes will be open, it would still be quicker and easier and cheaper to pre-purchase......everybody rocks up and buys tickets at the gate like it's a ING Cup game with 2000 people there! :)

The problem with the tickets is that, even with all the statements by AO/AUFC/SMA that all ticket boxes will be open, it would still be quicker and easier and cheaper to pre-purchase......everybody rocks up and buys tickets at the gate like it's a ING Cup game with 2000 people there! :)
On the one day comps.
Has the setup changed this year?
Last year was crap (why play it all in 1 city? :drunk:)
But I think I heard it was different this year?

On the one day comps.
Has the setup changed this year?
Last year was crap (why play it all in 1 city? :drunk:)
But I think I heard it was different this year?
Tournament split between Allan Border Field, Gabba, SCG, North Sydney and Bankstown (which was dumped for Blacktown due to issues).
Great prep coming into the WC. Teams were naming squads and staying/travelling for a month or so. Staying in one format too. Just like the WC.
Given we now have T20s to attract crowds bigger than we got in the last few pre-T20 years I don't have too much of a problem with it. Sure I'd go to games if they were here but there's definite merit in what they're doing. Wouldn't mind going back to the old way for the next few years until the leadup to the next WC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are to find out where the money has gone sometime soon ... that reviews take time is a commentary on the competence of the reviewing folk:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-30/where-does-the-money-go

The Power's average home crowd of 44,364 easily eclipsed their anticipated average crowd of 32,000 in 2014 and subsequently Thomas has sought a greater slice of the stadium revenue pie.

&/or

Apart from the Australian cricket team, in 2014 the Crows averaged the highest home crowd of any side, in any sport, in the country.
The club would like to see its share of revenue at Adelaide Oval reflect that status.

Anyone here going to the 20/20 against the SAFs ? Looks like two B grade teams, but i'll be there for the patriotic beers and a laugh. Any excuse now to be at Port Adelaide Oval :p

Looking forward to the Big Bash too, then get that out of the way.....................bring on the football !!!!!!!

Went to the Shield yesterday. The displays on the southern replay screens are well set-up, with two lines of regularly rotating score information on the bottom. Current batsmen, current bowlers, partnership, last wicket. That kind of stuff, and the score always on there. And they've added the score to the overs and rate etc information on the top of the northern screen.
However they've put boards up, like the ones in front of the sight screens, in front of all of the digital fence, from the north-western pocket all the way to the south-western. Most of it is just white. Which makes me worried that CA aren't going to utilise this technology for the Test/T20I, or the Strikers for the BBL, or the ICC for the CWC. Doesn't need to be as intense as what we've had for the footy, but I really hoped to see it used. Especially in limited-overs cricket. But even for the Test, only change what's on there between balls/overs and you're set.
Remains to be seen if the advertising on the front of the Eastern/Riverbank stands gets use or not.

A bit of a shame that the T20 is on Wednesday. A weekender second or third game of the series for a bit more hype would have been ideal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back