How Does Your Garden Grow??

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Seeing as it's spring and beautiful flowers are springing up all over my garden and I feel the need to get my vegetable garden planted out, I thought I'd start a gardening thread for people to post pictures of what they're up to in their gardens at various times of the year.

I'll kick it off with a couple of pics from my place...

My Brunfelsia- in the early stages of flowering last month. Also known as Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow (because the flowers start out purple and gradually fade to white over a couple of days) and Brazil Raintree.

Screen Shot 2014-10-21 at 1.29.54 pm.png

A day's handful of pickings from the vegie patch last year. I think I'd better get a move on if I want to see more of this!!

Screen Shot 2014-10-21 at 1.36.46 pm.png

Last edited:
Wonderful veggies Teri! I love the shape of your carrots, rather like the Lyin Dicktater lol

This is one of the urns I did at Mum's house, this is the day it was planted, but it is much more spectacular now -
Urn - FoxGlove-Small-1.jpg

It has a Floxglove, Colombine, cabbage, pansies, succulents + ivy.

This is one of Mum's Roses - Cherokee

Cherokee Rose - Mum-Small.jpg

Here are some flowers from the new house

I have no idea what this is -
Colourful Red+Orange-Small.jpeg

This is one of my Hippeastrums - one of my favourite flowers. It always blooms for my birthday.
Hippeastrum - Striped-Small.jpg

There are some lovely roses at the new house
Orange Rose-Small.jpg

Red Rose-Small.jpg

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I've got some of that "I have no idea what this is", too. Mine's not as bright pink- will try and get a photo later and compare. The lady who gave it to me told me what it was at the time but I've forgotten. :( I'll have to look it up.

I've got a lovely orange rose called "Greg Chappell"- unfortunately it isn't scented... well, I can't smell it if it is :( It's a hybrid tea. (colour doesn't ever show up as bright as it is on the rose itself.)

Screen Shot 2014-10-21 at 5.30.09 pm.png

Will dig some more rose pics out later- thought I'd be clever and delete the photos in my trash, not realising that my daughter had deleted her entire backup of her photos and they're all sitting there, waiting to be deleted out of the trash.... :( Could be here a while, I think!

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Christmas where the gumtrees grow....

.... when the bloom of the jacaranda tree is here,
Christmas time is near. :)

Well, the jacarandas started blooming here a week or two ago- slowly at first but purple trees are gradually popping up all over town.
Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 4.49.32 pm.png

Last year, this is what it looked like, two weeks into Nov:

Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 5.07.49 pm.png

In addition, the West Australian Christmas trees are starting to sprout bright golden plumes of flowers all over town as well- they grow in native bushland everywhere here and are very spectacular.

Mine has started to show a bit of yellow right at the very top:

Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 4.49.21 pm.png

And here it is in mid-Nov last year:
Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 5.07.34 pm.png

The problem with this tree is that it is very brittle, so branches and even whole trunks can snap off in a storm.
Luckily for us, Gregory is very fond of chomping on the branches :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BotsMaster

2022 Sep Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
Lol :D
What tree? Does it have flowers or nice foliage?
Who does the planting/watering?

Please post photos so SquishyKitty and I can have fun trying to guess what the tree is- if you don't know it- also any interesting plants.
I do the watering and the landlord did the planting.

I'll take a photo when I get around to it :p

Christmas where the gumtrees grow....

.... when the bloom of the jacaranda tree is here,
Christmas time is near. :)

Well, the jacarandas started blooming here a week or two ago- slowly at first but purple trees are gradually popping up all over town.
View attachment 89959

Last year, this is what it looked like, two weeks into Nov:

View attachment 89965

In addition, the West Australian Christmas trees are starting to sprout bright golden plumes of flowers all over town as well- they grow in native bushland everywhere here and are very spectacular.

Mine has started to show a bit of yellow right at the very top:

View attachment 89960

And here it is in mid-Nov last year:
View attachment 89966

The problem with this tree is that it is very brittle, so branches and even whole trunks can snap off in a storm.
Luckily for us, Gregory is very fond of chomping on the branches :D
The second last one looks like a topiary! Get clipping Teri ;)

Here's the fragrant entry into my front chook pens- the lovely honeysuckle!
View attachment 90117
How gorgeous Teri!

The neighbours behind me have a passion fruit vine + I took some tendrils + threaded them to my side, which gets the most sun. It is exploding with flowers! Adore passion fruit! I feel a pavlova coming on!

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
How gorgeous Teri!

The neighbours behind me have a passion fruit vine + I took some tendrils + threaded them to my side, which gets the most sun. It is exploding with flowers! Adore passion fruit! I feel a pavlova coming on!
I get about 5 bucketsful of passionfruit from my vine- next to the Christmas tree is a Melaleuca and my vine starts on the other side of the fence, climbs all over the Melaleuca and back onto the fence in front of the Christmas tree.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
When I grew 3 vines on the fence I shared with my neighbour, all the fruit grew on her side. :mad:
I kept putting my hand through to pick some for myself but let her have the rest. We don't eat a lot of p/f.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
This is one of Mum's Roses - Cherokee

View attachment 88499

Here are some flowers from the new house

I have no idea what this is -
View attachment 88500

This is one of my Hippeastrums - one of my favourite flowers. It always blooms for my birthday.
View attachment 88501

There are some lovely roses at the new house
View attachment 88502

View attachment 88506
Kitty! I think I found out what your "I have no idea what this is" is!!!
image.jpg

Does it look the same as this??
Check out the name!!!! :D

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
And, on a completely related note, a quite spookily related note- I have got an "I don't know what this one is" planted next to my Peruvian lillies- given to me by someone totally unconnected to the person who gave me the Peruvian Lilies - and I've just found out that they are called "marvel of Peru"! :eek:
They are beautiful- yellow, red and orange flowers on the same stem, the flowers sometimes spotted, splashed or striped, just a riot of untamed colour in my garden. Someone once told me they were a weed- but he's a Rhodesian- maybe the plants grow crazy over there.
Anyway- here's a pic of a plant like mine (I'm not going out at midnight to take a photo!).
I might take my own pic later if I can find something better to show you.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Kitty! I think I found out what your "I have no idea what this is" is!!!
View attachment 96269

Does it look the same as this??
Check out the name!!!! :D
Yes, it is the same! + the name!

They are very pretty Teri.

We need to resurrect this thread, so our gardens are blooming for Spring!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back