Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not across things like others here but from my limited understanding he currently plays as a HFF with stints in the middle, left footer but can get under it a bit when kicking longer. Good hands over head and reads it fairly well. Reminds me a little bit of Ryan O'Keefe. Would also like to hear other's views of him and curious as to his height and size.

I'm certainly rating him higher than I did with Hammellman and co. Needs to back it up this year. I believe he stands at 184cm(might have grown more since I last went through my heights and weights)

I'm not across things like others here but from my limited understanding he currently plays as a HFF with stints in the middle, left footer but can get under it a bit when kicking longer. Good hands over head and reads it fairly well. Reminds me a little bit of Ryan O'Keefe. Would also like to hear other's views of him and curious as to his height and size.

I like that comparison - I reckon you've picked it pretty spot on! Strong through the core, runs hard, wins his own ball on the inside, good overhead, smart in the lead, tackles hard. ROK is actually the kind of player that comes to mind.

I would say he probably even has a little more x-factor about his game. Not saying he is better by any means but what he has shown creatively and in finding the big sticks from difficult spots is probably not O'keefe's strength. Long way to go to get anywhere near Ryan though of course who is a legend.

I'm certainly rating him higher than I did with Hammellman and co. Needs to back it up this year. I believe he stands at 184cm(might have grown more since I last went through my heights and weights)
See him live he has to be more than 184. I would've guessed him at least 188

Academy 2015 preseason squad, interesting to see who will stand out

Declan Watson 17
Dominic Paino 17
Jacob Allison 17
Lliam Molan 17
Max Hewett 17
Jack Rolls 17
Jack Mammone 17
Luke O'Sullivan 17
Hayden Tompkins 17
Luca Mason 17
Nathanael Carswell 17
Sam Copland 17
Jason Kennedy 17
Joel Perry-Warren 17
Blake Hartley 18
Charlie Driffield 18
Corey Wagner 18
Liam Moseley 18
Jordan Maynard 18
Connor Stackelberg 18
Aaron Yusia-Maricic 18
Ben Keays 18
Caleb Saunter 18
David Yabsley 18
Isaiah Edwards 18
Max Quigley 18
Tom Rolls 18
John Mason 18
Luke Penberthy 18
Rueben Williams 18
Jonathan Macanawi 18
Oliver Ritchie 18
Daniel Mauch 18
Benjamin Glover 18
Eric Hipwood 18
Gareth Hunt 18
Nate Dennis 18
Wade Nelson 18
Isaac Corvo 18
Jack Munkara 18
Josh Elmslie 19
Wylie Buzza 19 * New Player
Jonah Licht 19 * New Player
Nick Weller 19 * Rookie Search
Dylan Adkins 19 * Rookie Search

Tigernova apology to the Lions Academy in 5...4...3...
Oh my God, can you imagine if Wylie Buzza gets drafted?? Tigernova may just explode!!

Heh

Quigley was a nickname I briefly had at uni and I thought I would use here in honor of Brenden Quigley. A club great.

Tom Selleck reference?

I wonder how getting Beams will affect the Lion's Academy kids who would have been looking to get drafted in the midfield? Appears we have more than enough midfielders for the next 6 years or so.... Looks like Mosely probably won;t be required although he's been in the best three in his age group for the past 4 years (with Keays and Wagner). I would say he was a lot tougher and harder in and under the ball than the other two. Shame if he's not really going to get a look in......

I wonder how getting Beams will affect the Lion's Academy kids who would have been looking to get drafted in the midfield? Appears we have more than enough midfielders for the next 6 years or so.... Looks like Mosely probably won;t be required although he's been in the best three in his age group for the past 4 years (with Keays and Wagner). I would say he was a lot tougher and harder in and under the ball than the other two. Shame if he's not really going to get a look in......

IMO You can never have too many top quality midfielders. You can always play them in a defensive or forward pocket, which is usually where marginal talents go to hide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO You can never have too many top quality midfielders. You can always play them in a defensive or forward pocket, which is usually where marginal talents go to hide.

Plus who knows we might lose Rich and Aish this year.

If you get your list management and culture right, a draftee midfielder can spend 2-3 years developing in the reserves without there being a desperate push for them to play regular seniors from the get go. So we're looking at 2018/19 for guys like Keays or Mosley to come through, if drafted. To put that into context, Adcock will be retired, Hanley and Zorko around 30 and the class of 2008 in their late twenties. We'd want to have new midfield options pushing through by this point.

If you get your list management and culture right, a draftee midfielder can spend 2-3 years developing in the reserves without there being a desperate push for them to play regular seniors from the get go. So we're looking at 2018/19 for guys like Keays or Mosley to come through, if drafted. To put that into context, Adcock will be retired, Hanley and Zorko around 30 and the class of 2008 in their late twenties. We'd want to have new midfield options pushing through by this point.
Having most of your draftees come in and play a significant number of games straight away is not normal, particularly in successful sides. Look at what Sydney have at their disposal- Mitchell couldn't get a game, now they're bringing in Heeney + another couple of highly rated F/S / academy mids next year. It's unlikely that the younger guys will play much(if at all) in their first couple of years.

The Brisbane Lions Academy “Initial” Under 18 Squad, and 15-17yr olds “North” and “South” Summer Squads have been sent out. They start Academy Training in early November.

19 year olds on the list include:
Josh Elmslie
Wylie Buzza
Jonah Licht
Nick Weller
Dylan Adkins

Are these squads public yet - haven't seen them anywhere on the Lions or AFLQ websites?

Anyone got knowledge they can share about any of the talented 17 year olds on that list?

Very keen to know more. I know abit about some of the 18 yo but very little about the next crop.

Power played lots a forward pocket early in a strong midfield. Ashcroft eventually went to the back pocket. They'll find a spot for smart footballers.
Agree with this. In fact I think the Swans and Hawks are the exception rather than the rule. The sheer depth of talent they have tends to make the progression slower for their draftees, but for most of the rest of the competition the expectation is that if you draft a top midfielder with a first or second round pick he will play some senior games in his first year and increasingly from then on. Especially so for clubs like ours that are desperate for improvement. As for Mitchell, if he doesn't get significant games this year and playing well in the NEAFL it wouldn't surprise to see him seeking opportunities elsewhere. Club culture and player welfare will only take you so far.

Rumour has it that Mosely has been offered a couple of league contracts and will have to choose between afl and league this year. it will be a loss i reckon.

Rumour has it that Mosely has been offered a couple of league contracts and will have to choose between afl and league this year. it will be a loss i reckon.
League contracts don't mean a lot at this age to be honest. Know plenty of guys signed during school only to lose them first year out. Doesn't guarentee squat

League contracts don't mean a lot at this age to be honest. Know plenty of guys signed during school only to lose them first year out. Doesn't guarentee squat
Yeah knew loads that were given contracts only 2 eventuated. They give them contracts when they are like 13/14 but by the time they are 17 nearly
All lose the contracts mostly
From behavioural reasons in my experience and the other is that the bodies don't put on the mass required by that age and don't get given an extension. Good thing about AFL is that nearly all body shapes can succeed.

Yeah knew loads that were given contracts only 2 eventuated. They give them contracts when they are like 13/14 but by the time they are 17 nearly
From behavioural reasons in my experience and the other is that the bodies don't put on the mass required by that age and don't get given an extension. Good thing about AFL is that nearly all body shapes can succeed.

Yeah behavior is the biggest one I have hard. Know one bloke who lost a contract because the club found out he had drunk a beer underage at the pub with his dad. They are damn strict when their young but seems as soon as they make it leaguies can do pretty much anything and get away with it. Some of this s**t I have seen professional league players do is disgusting. Lets just say a lot of Justin Hodge's late withdrawls from matches especially in his early years were not from pulling a hamstring in the warm up.....

Yeah, might be a bit different in this case as Mosely is already 17, he plays 1st XV rugby at Nudgee so he already has the size, and league can guarentee a 3 year under 20's contract where his uni is paid. AFL can't promise anything. How many of the Academy boys are going to end up drafted after giving up everything else. Problem is even if he doesn;t make it in league, he has to give up afl to give it a go, afl can;t really give him anything to convince him to stay for now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back