Changing the Original Lions Guernsey/Clash Jumper Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless you are Essendon (grey) or Richmond (yellow). It's one game. Geez.
We know, we know.
Every few days, during every off-season, someone says "Hey, why don't we have a yellow Bears thing for our clash".
There are some reasonable arguments against, plenty for, but at the end of the day, it ain't happening this year (again).
AFL jumper policy is nonsensical and fundamentally unfair.
We know.

Not an attack on you, although it was about the 4th or 5th jumper thread started this month alone, just that it's been done to death.

We know, we know.
Every few days, during every off-season, someone says "Hey, why don't we have a yellow Bears thing for our clash".
There are some reasonable arguments against, plenty for, but at the end of the day, it ain't happening this year (again).
AFL jumper policy is nonsensical and fundamentally unfair.
We know.

Not an attack on you, although it was about the 4th or 5th jumper thread started this month alone, just that it's been done to death.
I hear you. I just thought it would be cool to wear that jumper when they play at Carrara. Kind of like a home away from home.

Plus we know the Lions will play at Carrara at least once every year for the foreseeable future so it could easily become a tradition. The two cities and that stadium are intrinsically linked when it comes to the history of the BBFFC. Such a shame the AFL won't look at it.

I hear you. I just thought it would be cool to wear that jumper when they play at Carrara. Kind of like a home away from home.

Not every time though. A one off would be good, maybe in 2017 for the 30th anniversary of the Brisbane Bears.

I know you are in a process of educating yourself about Queensland footy which is great, but the history books don't really encapsulate the complex emotions involved.

As such, I think you somewhat misunderstand the nature of the affection we have for those Carrara days and for the jumper. It's similar to people liking that photo of the pastel blue suit they wore to their wedding in the 80s. It's great to get the photo out and have a nostalgic smile every now and then but they don't want to wear the suit over and over again.

Wearing a Bears jumper every year at Metricon would be quite silly. I want to pants those plastic Suns in our proper premiership jumper - a real footy jumper for a real footy club. Not a museum piece that says "hey, we were once a plastic franchise too!"

Not every time though. A one off would be good, maybe in 2017 for the 30th anniversary of the Brisbane Bears.

I know you are in a process of educating yourself about Queensland footy which is great, but the history books don't really encapsulate the complex emotions involved.

As such, I think you somewhat misunderstand the nature of the affection we have for those Carrara days and for the jumper. It's similar to people liking that photo of the pastel blue suit they wore to their wedding in the 80s. It's great to get the photo out and have a nostalgic smile every now and then but they don't want to wear the suit over and over again.

Wearing a Bears jumper every year at Metricon would be quite silly. I want to pants those plastic Suns in our proper premiership jumper - a real footy jumper for a real footy club. Not a museum piece that says "hey, we were once a plastic franchise too!"
Fair call. 2017 would make a lot of sense given the history. Exactly 30 years since Queensland footy stepped up to the big time and you have the Lions wearing the Bears jumper. Perhaps even the Suns in a Southport guernsey?

Fair call. 2017 would make a lot of sense given the history. Exactly 30 years since Queensland footy stepped up to the big time and you have the Lions wearing the Bears jumper. Perhaps even the Suns in a Southport guernsey?

Why not an amalgamation of every GCAFL/QAFL teams guernsey??

Why not an amalgamation of every GCAFL/QAFL teams guernsey??
EB2lF3C.jpg

The Southport Sharks were heavily involved in the creation of the Gold Coast Football Club. The Suns often play preseason games at the Sharks and the B&F is held there every year. The Sharks even committed $10 million to the club when they first entered the AFL. Their relationship is very good. Not to mention the Sharks flew the flag for Gold Coast footy for decades. I'm pretty sure the Dockers have worn the South Fremantle jumper in the past so it has been done before.

Seems a wonderful way of pissing off every non-Sharks supporting Gold Coast fan.
Sure, and that's why it'll almost definitely never happen but if you were look at a way to celebrate Queensland footy then Southport would have to be involved in some capacity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Typical Brisbane mentality.

Wow.

I'm not sure exactly what you are now arguing for given you backtracked pretty quickly from the ridiculous notion that the Suns should wear a Southport jumper.

I have a lot of time for what Southport has done in the last 30 odd years. But there are clubs which have been in existence for many years longer with wonderful histories. And I don't think it makes sense for the Lions to wear an old Mayne jumper either. The point being that representing a single club doesn't make any sense when you are purporting to represent a region.

Anyway, I'm not sure why I am debating Gold Coast football heritage with a Port supporter on a Brisbane board. I'm out of this conversation.

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realise the GCAFL competition was based outside of QLD. Typical Brisbane mentality.

Tone it down a bit. Just because people dare disagree with you doesn't mean you get to start denigrating people with "Typical Brisbane mentality" BS.

Tone it down a bit. Just because people dare disagree with you doesn't mean you get to start denigrating people with "Typical Brisbane mentality" BS.

Typical Sydney mentality... oh wait, no it's not... carry on.

Looking at our home and away guernseys for this year, I think I prefer the away version. I don't think it's because of the Fitzroy connection (well, maybe sub-consciously), I just like the colours more. Anyone else prefer it?
PS: I am colour blind though.:(

Looking at our home and away guernseys for this year, I think I prefer the away version. I don't think it's because of the Fitzroy connection (well, maybe sub-consciously), I just like the colours more. Anyone else prefer it?

I prefer the home guernsey, I like the darker maroon. Both look awesome so I'm happy either way.

Home Guernsey is better in my opinion

*sigh* and here we go again. We got the real jumpers back, let's not start debating over which one is the favourite child. They're both equally awesome.

*sigh* and here we go again. We got the real jumpers back, let's not start debating over which one is the favourite child. They're both equally awesome.
It was a perfectly innocent question about peoples' preference - not intended to incite argument. I'll go back into my hole.

I have no connections with fitzroy it was before my days of being a supporter but I hate the colours. The reddy orange is meh

.:(

Love it. Apart from the FFC logo, replaced by the Fitzroy Lion, it's the jumper that most resembles the Fitzroy jumper I followed through the late 70s, 80s and 90s, and worn by Fitzroy now in the VAFA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back