2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit about Robinson on the tail end of an article about Aish (see his roster thread for that).
Loving the work from Swann. We've had such a strong media presence since he's taken over.

I see in all the articles regarding Aish that they go to great lengths to point out his manager is Pickers who has had several high profile players change clubs. It's not like he's a bloody puppeteer, he only facilitates what his players decide to do.

Looking forward to welcoming Robinson, think he will add value to the team. Yes he has off field issues, but so did Martin Pike and that turned out well. Like i trusted Leigh with selecting Pikey, trust Leppa and the club with taking Robinson.

After listening to Swann on SEN this morning, I'm so impressed. He is definitely the best pick-up in the last year! I love his attitude. And if KB is genuinely annoyed that Richmond didn't get the "wrecking ball" then I'm happy with Robinson also. He's hard at it, has heart. Perfect Lion.

Loving the work from Swann. We've had such a strong media presence since he's taken over.
I see in all the articles regarding Aish that they go to great lengths to point out his manager is Pickers who has had several high profile players change clubs. It's not like he's a bloody puppeteer, he only facilitates what his players decide to do.
Player managers would be paid a percentage of a contract and players won't always choose the most profitable (financialy) contract. Which do you reckon some managers would prefer? The manager then sells the contract to the player, so has some influence on how good either contract appears. Where 19, 20 or 21 year olds are concerned, the managers' influence can definitely play a part in the player's decision.

Player managers would be paid a percentage of a contract and players won't always choose the most profitable (financialy) contract. Which do you reckon some managers would prefer? The manager then sells the contract to the player, so has some influence on how good either contract appears. Where 19, 20 or 21 year olds are concerned, the managers' influence can definitely play a part in the player's decision.
Probably not short of a dollar after the Boyd deal. Influencing a decision of one of your clients based on your own financial desires wouldn't be a smart move. Might get you a little more in your pocket now, but would be a losing strategy long term in terms of client retention & acquisition. Couldn't see the serious managers doing that.

Probably not short of a dollar after the Boyd deal. Influencing a decision of one of your clients based on your own financial desires wouldn't be a smart move. Might get you a little more in your pocket now, but would be a losing strategy long term in terms of client retention & acquisition. Couldn't see the serious managers doing that.
Not suggesting they force players into bad decisions, but if there are 2 good options the manager may have a preference for one and is in a position to sway that decision. What I'm saying is that it isn't just the players' decision, and the manager doesn't just do his clients' bidding.

Which delisted players will find a new home?

BRISBANE LIONS
Mitch Robinson (Carlton, 25, 100 games)
Why Robinson?
Robinson’s hardness around the contest would be a welcome addition to a Lions midfield that is now brimming with class.
Likelihood: 9/10. Robinson has been heavily linked to the Lions throughout the trade period and been endorsed by CEO Greg Swann who had a close link with Robinson at Carlton.

FREMANTLE
Jordan Lisle (Brisbane Lions, 24, 23 games)
Why Lisle?
This is one out of left field but Lisle had one of his best matches against Fremantle, kicking three goals in round 12, 2013. With the retirements of Scott Gumbleton and Kepler Bradley and the recruitment of young key position players, there's a gulf in the age profile of the key forwards on Fremantle's list, which the ex-Hawk could fill.
Likelihood: 1/10. Lisle could be a good option but Fremantle are more likely to draft and develop.

Wow...if it eventuates.

GOLD COAST
Andrew Raines (Brisbane Lions, 28, 123 games)
Why Raines? The Suns need to add depth and hardness to a midfield that relies too heavily on too few, and Raines fits the bill. His professionalism would also be a bonus around the young team.
Likelihood: 8/10. Raines has been linked to the club and done a medical already. The Suns wanted some maturity on their list and Raines would provide it.

GREG Broughton is odds on to play for Gold Coast next season despite being delisted by the club on Friday. That player is Broughton, 28, who fell out of contract at the end of this season. Broughton could nominate for the NAB AFL Draft and be selected by any team, but it is believed he will nominate for the pre-season draft instead, where the Suns intend to re-draft him as a rookie. Broughton played 20 games in 2014, averaging 17 disposals.

I quite liked Broughton as a player and whilst it is unlikely we would pick him up, considering our need for a competent small defender, I reckon he would have been a good fit.

I just hope Mitch Robinson wears his hat around the right way if he joins the Lions.
Funny Story
Quite a few years ago, I was working for the Dept of Public Works. I was in a very boring meeting and I was starting to nod off , when Manager who was chairing the meeting asked if there were any questions. The Horology Supervisor, who was a very funny guy, and also stuttered badly when excited, asked, wh, wh, wh why do all the young blokes wh, wh, wh, wear there caps around back to front? The Manager who was not impressed said, I have no idea Greg. so he stood up, and off he went. so,so,so,so,so, th,th,th,they ca,ca,can ta,ta,take more co,co,co,co,ock. The meeting fell apart.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why's that out of interest? Has never seemed up to it.

If he gets over his injuries he'll be a gun. More upside than Robinson, etc.

Probably plays similar to Aish but a better kick.

Is there any chance that Patrick Wearden will go onto our rookie list?

Or has he move on out of Brissy?

It could be worth a try depending on what we are attempting to get out the rookie list in the near future even though to say that I am not a fan of recycling senior list players to rookies is a big understatement but occasionally there is scope for an exception.

I quite liked Broughton as a player and whilst it is unlikely we would pick him up, considering our need for a competent small defender, I reckon he would have been a good fit.
I agree with you. It's hard to draft gun players with pick 67, but a small lock down proven 105 game defender at pick 67, seems promising. Going of the stats below, he should be considered.

upload_2014-11-2_13-51-58.png

I see from a Pearce Hanley tweet that Todd Banfield was back in Brissy for a visit. Any chance we re-list him as a rookie? Leppa would have seen a bit of him at Richmond, although obviously didn't set the world on fire there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back