Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
G'day guys just stumbled across this along my journeys.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-31/tiger-hampson-admits-offfield-challenges-hurt-his-output

Two staggering points

1."I think fitness is a big one. It's never been a strong point of mine, so I'm going to work hard on it in this pre-season and continue working on marking and goalkicking. "

What! He's worked out after 9 seasons that Aussies rules football requires you to be fit.Any wonder Mick was keen to get this guy of his list.:$

2."It's stuff I've had to work on my whole career, but I'll really give it even more this year.":mad:

So he has not been giving his all over the years,but collecting his pay cheque

Anyway I'm opening it up for your opinion guys.
Flower sniffers welcomed;)

G'day guys just stumbled across this along my journeys.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-31/tiger-hampson-admits-offfield-challenges-hurt-his-output

Two staggering points

1."I think fitness is a big one. It's never been a strong point of mine, so I'm going to work hard on it in this pre-season and continue working on marking and goalkicking. "

What! He's worked out after 9 seasons that Aussies rules football requires you to be fit.Any wonder Mick was keen to get this guy of his list.:$

2."It's stuff I've had to work on my whole career, but I'll really give it even more this year.":mad:

So he has not been giving his all over the years,but collecting his pay cheque

Anyway I'm opening it up for your opinion guys.
Flower sniffers welcomed;)
I must be a flower sniffer....

I see no problem with acknowledging his weaknesses. It doesn't mean he has never worked on them, but perhaps this preseason he has an even stronger resolve. I'd be inclined to get off his case (after the year he had) and let him try and prove himself in 2015

I must be a flower sniffer....

I see no problem with acknowledging his weaknesses. It doesn't mean he has never worked on them, but perhaps this preseason he has an even stronger resolve. I'd be inclined to get off his case (after the year he had) and let him try and prove himself in 2015

Thank you for your response,but gee i wish you were my boss tell me,"I think working hard is a big one. It's never been a strong point of mine, so I'm going to work hard on it in this pre-season and continue working on my profession "
Doesn't make sense to me.
i am not on his case ,i'm staggered to why he would publicly state this.

Thank you for your response,but gee i wish you were my boss tell me,"I think working hard is a big one. It's never been a strong point of mine, so I'm going to work hard on it in this pre-season and continue working on my profession "

Thats why I m not buying it.

Reads like a political puff piece!

He never said he hasnt worked hard, i took it to mean his running ability doesn't come naturally to him. He said fitness but I reckon he meant running ability. Not unusual for guys over 200cms. Same goes with marking and goal kicking, it comes a bit tougher for big guys. If I was your boss I'd be pleased with a public statement acknowleding your weaknesses and committing to focus on them.

I hope none of you have to experience balancing the expectations of thousands of sports fans with trying to grieve the death of your father

Sounds like a guy that just wants the abuse he gets on the street to stop and to be treated like a real person

You've said it now though Hampson so follow up on it

He never said he hasnt worked hard, i took it to mean his running ability doesn't come naturally to him. He said fitness but I reckon he meant running ability. Not unusual for guys over 200cms. Same goes with marking and goal kicking, it comes a bit tougher for big guys. If I was your boss I'd be pleased with a public statement acknowleding your weaknesses and committing to focus on them.
I'm sorry to disagree with you here as fitness and running ability are two distinct attributes
Being an athlete I think he clearly knows the difference
I don't know how athletes can drastically improve their running ability after 9 years
I think you did misread the article. I would encourage you to read it again

I hope none of you have to experience balancing the expectations of thousands of sports fans with trying to grieve the death of your father

Sounds like a guy that just wants the abuse he gets on the street to stop and to be treated like a real person

Agree with the death of his father, but this is not the issue here
It was his baffling points relating his attitude towards fitness
Most people in the work force get a minimum of 5 days for death ins family and if they need longer they are forced to use up their holiday leave etc etc
Sadly they're expected to perform at their peak when they return
Anyway This is a side issue

Agree with the death of his father, but this is not the issue here
It was his baffling points relating his attitude towards fitness
Most people in the work force get a minimum of 5 days for death ins family and if they need longer they are forced to use up their holiday leave etc etc
Sadly they're expected to perform at their peak when they return
Anyway This is a side issue

hardly a side issue. I nearly quit a job when they told be one day was all they would give me to mourn the loss of a close family member was a half day for the funeral. only thing that stopped that was my direct manager who told me I would be "working" and I should be with the rest of my family

loss effects different people differently. I have lost some close family and it effected me little. Others, made me reassess parts of my life. you have a point to make with this thread, and its a pretty good one. Dismissing this part of this interview as simply a side issue however is ugly and beneath you.

If anything footy at AFL level should be an outlet to escape off-field issues like the bombers.

Sure a loss is a loss but playing footy should be separate IMO generally speaking.

Not intimate with the circumstances but I would have thought passion and competitiveness to excel at footy should push aside any initial depression on the footy field. Can't see how players have time to think about such matters on the ground when the competitive juices are triggered!

Maybe Hampson lacks the competitive juices and simply excelled from atheletism!

Some would use the death of a father to inspire them on and push harder which is surely what most fathers would want. Fight in a competitive sense on the field in the memory of their fathers which I assume is why players put black bands on and so forth would be most common I would have thought.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hardly a side issue. I nearly quit a job when they told be one day was all they would give me to mourn the loss of a close family member was a half day for the funeral. only thing that stopped that was my direct manager who told me I would be "working" and I should be with the rest of my family

loss effects different people differently. I have lost some close family and it effected me little. Others, made me reassess parts of my life. you have a point to make with this thread, and its a pretty good one. Dismissing this part of this interview as simply a side issue however is ugly and beneath you.
Steady on big boy he was pathetically out of form before his Dad passed
I know your point on death , but an person of your knowledge should be clearly able to see the gist of the argument and pull it to shreds .just as you pulled me apart over the use of two words. Didn't we give Hampson Grievance time? More than half a day I can recall
Yes death is a tragedy and does affect us all differently , but this was not the point of my argument as Hampson made two points to me that told me he hasn't had his mind on the job from day one

The death of a loved one such as a father, mother, wife or child will hit anyone harder than a sledge hammer and I can understand that. He has one more year on his contract. Next season is an another season and another chance to prove himself. He is low on the ruck pecking order at the moment and should concentrate on moving up. We will see by the end of the 2015 season where he's at (I really didn't want to use that term :oops:). Not much point in sinking the boots in him now.

Steady on big boy he was pathetically out of form before his Dad passed
I know your point on death , but an person of your knowledge should be clearly able to see the gist of the argument and pull it to shreds .just as you pulled me apart over the use of two words. Didn't we give Hampson Grievance time? More than half a day I can recall
Yes death is a tragedy and does affect us all differently , but this was not the point of my argument as Hampson made two points to me that told me he hasn't had his mind on the job from day one

As I said, your thread raises a relevant issue. I just have a massive issue with you referring to his fathers death as a side issue. its pathetic to make it sound so minor

The death of a loved one such as a father, mother, wife or child will hit anyone harder than a sledge hammer and I can understand that. He has one more year on his contract. Next season is an another season and another chance to prove himself. He is low on the ruck pecking order at the moment and should concentrate on moving up. We will see by the end of the 2015 season at. Not much point in sinking the boots in him now.

I wouldn't bother with reasonable arguments such as this bro, honestly I think if this lot saw Hampson get hit by a car in the middle of the street, they'd probably run over to him and starting sledging him! :eek:

As I said, your thread raises a relevant issue. I just have a massive issue with you referring to his fathers death as a side issue. its pathetic to make it sound so minor
I didn't make it sound minor. You did. I said it was a side issue
Note the word ISSUE It means there is a problem , but not relevant to the points (SIDE) I raised as they appeared to be long term ones from day dot

The death of a loved one such as a father, mother, wife or child will hit anyone harder than a sledge hammer and I can understand that. He has one more year on his contract. Next season is an another season and another chance to prove himself. He is low on the ruck pecking order at the moment and should concentrate on moving up. We will see by the end of the 2015 season where he's at (I really didn't want to use that term :oops:). Not much point in sinking the boots in him now.

Unless Hampson killed his father or caused his death how could you sink boots into him??

It is not about us surely!!!

It is about Hampson and what he can do to compete on field more effectively with or without the memory of his father.

My father will be dying soon enough unfortunately but I know there is nothing I can do to stop it. I know my father wouldn't want me worrying about him either !!

Last edited:
Storm in a teacup...
What that we have a guy on our list who has had a poor attitude in the system for all these years. He's now finally telling the afl world he's going to change his ways.
I find this disturbing as what example is he to the rest of the guys on the list ?? Especially towards the young kids

2 years left

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back