Oct 28, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
90437_056819bf4b21ad829bd0e515f2f2d661.jpg

Born: 26/5/1994
Height: 188cm
Weight: 90kg
Position: Forward

“I think it’s a great opportunity for me. It’s a young side and there’s plenty of potential in the team. There is great coaching staff and I feel like the sky is the limit from here,” Membrey told SAINTS.com.au.

“I really just want to get down and start training. I want to earn the respect of those senior guys that have been here and really be open to everyone; get used to the system, work hard and set myself up for a good year.”
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-11-04/membrey-cant-wait-to-crack-in

TIM Membrey has hit the track for the first time with his new teammates on the first day of pre-season training.

The former Sydney player, who signed with St Kilda on the weekend, looked at home alongside a range of fellow youngsters, including four VFL players, Jared Patrenko, Shaun McKernan and Jeremy Taylor.

Membrey was introduced to the playing group and coaches around 9am, before participating in a simple kicking warm-up and run throughs.
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-11-05/membrey-begins-his-saints-journey

Speaking on Wednesday as the Saints first- to fourth-year players began pre-season training, Membrey said he felt assured after hearing what St Kilda had to offer.

"They came to me and made a presentation and it was really professional. I just thought it was the right fit for me," he said.

"This is going to be a good, young team and I'm going to enjoy playing with them."
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-11-05/former-swan-settles-in

Last edited by a moderator:

Any players we're looking at in the PSD now?
We can, but they'd get rookie-listed as that's us only got 4 list spots and they'll be for picks 1, 21, 22 and 48. Unless they wangle something like Simpkin tearing up his contract then being rookied back onto the same contract via PSD. Or just outright delist someone. I can't see either happening.

There is the chance that none of the players on our rookie list this year will be actual rookies... Given the volume of development players on our list, we use it as a reserves list instead...

We can, but they'd get rookie-listed as that's us only got 4 list spots and they'll be for picks 1, 21, 22 and 48. Unless they wangle something like Simpkin tearing up his contract then being rookied back onto the same contract via PSD. Or just outright delist someone. I can't see either happening.

There is the chance that none of the players on our rookie list this year will be actual rookies... Given the volume of development players on our list, we use it as a reserves list instead...
Schneids, McKernan, Petrenko...

Gotta wonder why Sydney just didn't do the trade for a junk pick and get this over with weeks ago.

I wondered the same thing, then thought maybe the very poor timing of the AFL decision on their COLA situation played a part. To tell them they can't make moves right as the trade period gets underway was very poor. They probably took a while to understand how it affects them. Personally I still don't - they bring anyone else in and they lose COLA right away; but surely they ought to be able to bring a player in if they lose someone, just on a lower contract. It's not the AFL's business as to how Sydney meet their cap, they should just stipulate a cap which reduces over the next two seasons, resulting in removal of COLA.

Welcome Tim!

Excited that he kicked 48 goals in the neafl last year and average 18 disposals.

He looks to me as a half forward in the hamill format.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm excited by the growing number of potential mids/resting forwards Billings, Petracca, Acres, Templeton, Stevens, Membrey and even Armo. In a few years I hope we have a similar style of play to Port!

I'm excited by the growing number of potential mids/resting forwards Billings, Petracca, Acres, Templeton, Stevens, Membrey and even Armo. In a few years I hope we have a similar style of play to Port!

Plus the number of Def/Mids we seem to be developing as well.

I'd consider Newnes, Geary, Wright, Webster, Savage* in this category.

* personally reckon he'll go ok in outside mid role eventually.

A good pickup I think.

Pros: A great set shot for goal. He's built like a tank. Right age group. Comes from a team renowned for their development. Will be that third forward target that we need (now the team needs to realise there is another option other than Roo). The kid can play.

Cons: That bloody sleeve of tatts - if you're going to go down that route at least do it right - go Yakuza style!!

Plus the number of Def/Mids we seem to be developing as well.

I'd consider Newnes, Geary, Wright, Webster, Savage* in this category.

* personally reckon he'll go ok in outside mid role eventually.

Interesting that you say that. He averaged 4 tackles in the NEAFL. This suggests to me a contested style footballer to me.

I think Membrey could see the writing on the wall with the team he was trying to break into having the two key positions up forward locked up (Tippett and Franklin) the half forward flanks already filled and a line up of further players eager for a crack at the mid / half forward role (Hannebury, Parker, Cunningham, Rampe, Rohan, McGlynn, McVeigh etc.) The "third talls" Sam Reid and Adam Goodes are also very difficult to omit. Membrey could put a very strong case to the Swans that he cannot fulfill his potential, nor demand the wage he deserves by remaining at the Swans. Allowing him to leave offers some cap relief as most of the younger players they claim from the draft can start out on close to minimum wage.

It seems to me that he is a bit like Luke Delaney last year - a good player that was omitted only because of depth. If he turns out like Keys this year, then I think we can all be happy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back