Opinion Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes it's early but what expectations do we have on Freo next season ?

1./ We finish top 2
2./ We make the Grand Final
3./ We score an average of 100 points a game
4./ We nail our first round draft pick who becomes a lock for best 22
5./ Mora makes it through the season uninjured (WAFL or AFL, it does not matter)
6./ We fist the Eagles twice
7./ Ballaz and Fyfe don't get suspended for more than 2 games between them.

1./ We finish top 2
2./ We make the Grand Final
3./ We score an average of 100 points a game
4./ We nail our first round draft pick who becomes a lock for best 22
5./ Mora makes it through the season uninjured (WAFL or AFL, it does not matter)
6./ We fist the Eagles twice
7./ Ballaz and Fyfe don't get suspended for more than 2 games between them.
One and seven wont happen, if we had improved our side before the drafts, maybe, we basically have the same squad as last year, a top
four finish, I would classify as a success.

Wouldnt it be a good idea to at least wait until after pre season until Luke is written off

It's more fun writing the team off before the season starts - that way we can feel more comfortable going in as underdogs o_O

This far out, only going on what we know from 2014 and from the free agency/trade period I can see us being one of about 6 teams fighting for top 4. Outside of that it all depends on avoiding injuries and stupid suspensions. We won't be totally injury free but we need a season that isn't taking the piss like 2014.

It will be interesting to see how the ruck situation unfolds, given ZacC won't have much of a pre season. Given a full pre season I can see Griff getting the nod early.

I am very confident next year, dead set copped all the bad luck at seasons end. It is very early days but a few tweeks here & there I can see Freo wright on the money.

Not going to happen. He has broken down towards the end of the last three seasons.

The fitness staff aren't going to magically make a 33 year old man fitter at the right time after 9-10 months of intensive training.

There is a fair bit of luck involved in things like that too.

McPharlin could easily play every game next season. Soft tissue injuries might be more likely as you get older, but they aren't inevitable.

McPharlin could easily play every game next season. Soft tissue injuries might be more likely as you get older, but they aren't inevitable.
Not once in his 15 previous years in the AFL has Mcpharlin played every game, good luck doing it now at 33.

Hawthorn didn't have Lake for most of the year through injury and being a psychotic thug. He was pretty handy for them in September. Don't see much difference between his situation and Luke's, other than the fact that Luke isn't a nut case.
Honestly people here were catastrophising for years about when Luke retires and when he doesn't everyone is acting likes its a sign of the apocalypse.

Expectations from the Boss:

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2014-10-31/lyon-expects-growth-from-talented-list

Interesting to get the official line on some hot topics debated in these parts and also clarifies some uncertainties namely:

- Reference to Duffy who started to understand what it takes to play AFL football and prepare in an elite manner - definately dispels any doubts re: his contract status.

- 6 players under the knife though I think he only discusses 5 being Ibbo(shoulder), Duffy(shoulder), Clarke (knee), Johnno(back), Silvia (ankle). Mora maybe the 6th?

- Post Dec, he expects all players to be available unlike prior seasons barring a hiccup. That contradicts those Sunday Times reports that Clarke would not have a preseason and miss games even IIRC.

- Refers to our 'relatively young list bar 3 or 4 older guys'. That one's a hot topic around these parts.

- Zac Clarke needs to improve and should improve. Another topical subject.

- Banking on growth from our middle tier and emerging players. Duffy, Taberner, Crozier get mentions as well as a fit Walters and improvement from Neale, Suban, Sheridan.

So, at this point, we should have the full list in training from Mid Dec which sounds like the first time that has occurred under Ross.

Surely the hunger and attitude will be there on the back of a disappointing finals exit this year. Then it's all about being fit and available.....I'm talking about our preseason training watchers of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very happy to hear that about Duffy. Haven't been as excited about a player for a while after watching Max's first few touches at the top level. Just has a bit of Steve Johnson about him. A forward line with him, Walters, Balla and Crozier will have some excitement about it!

Very happy to hear that about Duffy. Haven't been as excited about a player for a while after watching Max's first few touches at the top level. Just has a bit of Steve Johnson about him. A forward line with him, Walters, Balla and Crozier will have some excitement about it!

Fair amount of X-factor with that lot all playing at the same time and it definitely increases our chances of having a good spread of lads kicking multiple goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back