Draft Profile Kyle Langford

Remove this Banner Ad

SugarCoat

Club Legend
Suspended
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
My prediction as the bolter of the 2014 draft class.
Is one of the youngest players in the draft class.
I see him raising like Bontempelli last year.
Is highly versatile, can play mid, forward or back.
At 190 cm and 73 kg's, he is only going to fill out.
Biggest criticism on him is he is very outside.
Away from his playing abilities, is an excellent leader.
Was the captain of the Ivanhoe Grammar first 11 & vice captain of the first 18.
I now view him as a massive chance to go to Collingwood at 5 or he will go in the 7 to 10 range.

http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/696678/draft-prospect-kyle-langford/

207179-0da81884-235e-11e4-a804-07785902d9f7.jpg

I now view him as a massive chance to go to Collingwood at 5 or he will go in the 7 to 10 range.

I don't think he will go that high, probably in the mid teens, but I do agree whoever gets him is onto a "good un". Probably only going to play half a dozen games in his first year (needs a good AFL pre-season), that is unless he goes to a struggling team. But I'm with you, a bolter indeed with great leadership skills (he was elected co-captain of the AGS rep team that got pumped by the APS); but he only managed a handful of games with the Northern Knights due to school commitments, though he did make the Vic Metro team. An outside player, like you said, with speed and good skills on both sides of the body, I'm personally going to start a drug abuse rumour so he drops down to Hawthorns pick in the early 30's!! (I was dissapointed he wasn't one of Chris's boys, but Lachie, elegible next year, is supposed to be a player, taking after his fathers, not his brothers, size)

What were his endurance results like at the combine? He's an intriguing prospect no doubt. Just not sure where he ends up at AFL level, you'd think a tall wingman maybe.

What were his endurance results like at the combine? He's an intriguing prospect no doubt. Just not sure where he ends up at AFL level, you'd think a tall wingman maybe.
14.11 beep I was told and about a 10.35 for 3k so better than reasonable you would have thought

want this kid at the dogs bad , but not sure hell be around

Attachments

• Kyle Langford mark.jpg
    Kyle Langford mark.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 19
He's got that look of being a future whipping boy - he has a kind of Tom Swift/ Alex Rance look going for himself which is ominous.

Apparently his neck is like twice as long as the length of an average mans which makes his height of 190 cm somewhat moot.

I'm with you Sugar, wouldn't mind at all if we end up taking him at 5. He looks like he's going to really fill out too so he won't be a twig forever. Really good prospect and if Laverde is taken at 4 then I'm happy to see him in black and white.

He's got that look of being a future whipping boy - he has a kind of Tom Swift/ Alex Rance look going for himself which is ominous.

Apparently his neck is like twice as long as the length of an average mans which makes his height of 190 cm somewhat moot.
player20.jpg

He will go Top 8 at least.
GC have spoken to him quite a few times before the AFL & exam cut off date.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the past week I've decided I'd prefer this kid over Laverde. I look at his game, (highlights) read write ups on him and he looks like he's got the scope to become one of the best this draft will produce.
Firstly, his marking is just a cut above. He plucks anything that goes near him straight out of the air with a really good, clean set of hands. He positions his body so well that he makes it look easy even when he's outsized, outnumbered or late to the contest.
His field kicking, though not exceptional, is very good although he'll need to practise kicking flatter and more direct passes. Close to goal however his use looks beautiful. He uses his left really creatively when needed and his ability to do so means he's all the more dangerous around goal. His set shots are very, very good and it's always good when a player has the ability to get good conversion from his opportunities.
He doesn't appear to move with extreme pace but he moves well and creates space for himself well so he can dispose of the ball effectively. He doesn't appear rushed either and looks to sum up his options before he disposes of the ball.
All up he just looks the goods. He's got footy smarts, is an elite mark, excellent kick on both sides and puts himself in the right places to exploit his strengths. He's also a really solid character as well which is a huge plus. His late birthday also makes him an attractive pick up.
My only real concern regarding the kid is the chance of a growth spurt putting him at an awkward height. He's very light but he doesn't look like he'll have an issue bulking up but if he were to grow 2-4cm it'd potentially rule him out of eventually being developed into a tall mid/wing which is where I think most teams would like to eventually have him play.

http://madmondayshow.com/2014/11/08/kyle-langford-player-profile/

STRENGTHS:
Versatility:Northern Knights’ Kyle Langford is capable of performing to a high level both in defence and up forward, and has been productive in both positions throughout 2014. he’s done his best work as a forward, kicking bags of 5 goals on more than 1 occasion for the Knights and he has shown real goal sense. He’s a hard player to defend with his height and elegant movement causing headaches for TAC Cup defences. Langford can play a role down back, he’s a very intelligent reader of the play and can shut-down opposition medium talls. In games Langford brings all his positive attributes together very well, he always manages to find space to mark the ball be it when providing rebound out of defence, on a wing or up forward. He can swerve and dodge opponents with the footy in hand and uses his height and length well.

Athleticism: Langford is a high level athlete who performed extremely well at the Draft Combine. Langford tested in the top 20% of players for vertical jump, in the top 25% of draft prospects for the 20m sprint, with a sub 3 second time and finished just outside the top 10 prospects for agility. On top of this, his VO2 max score and 3K Test times were above average.

Late Birthday and Upside: Like 2013 draft bolter Marcus Bontempelli, Kyle Langford was born in December and could have much more physical development to come, especially with regard to his strength and body size. Langford has shown himself to be a smooth outside player, but could grow in stature and develop a midfield game under a sound development system. Langford has also dedicated summers to cricket in the past, with his concentration firmly on football he could make improve out of sight.

WEAKNESSES:
Small Build: For a terrific athlete, Langford is built very lightly, at 76kg. It’s visible in his slender frame, he will need to put on at least 10kgs. He tested well for skin folds at the Combine, he now needs to put on muscle, not so much so that it harms his silky movement, but enough to be able to compete at the highest level.

Not Yet a Consistent Midfielder: There’s no doubt that any club taking Langford will aim to turn him into a tall, athletic, smooth midfielder, but he’s yet to consistently show the ability to play in midfield for Northern or Metro. Langford has impressed up forward and down back, but is not a dominant or fluent midfielder. At the U18 Champs, over 80% of his possessions were uncontested, he needs to work on his inside game.

Thanks for that. Hadn't seen it yet but it's good to hear he's well regarded by those in the know. I'm sure almost everyone else will realise soon that he's right up there in terms of talent as well.
He's going to bolt on draft day, seeing as many have him going in the late teens. R. McKenzie will also also go much higher than the 25-50 mark many have touted. I'd be surprised if Langford lasts past pick although stranger things have happened.

Seems he is high on Pies/Hine’s Radar at Pick 5:

Haven't read the article, but remember Moore was out marked and out played by Langford, before Moore got shifted. I think up forward!!

That was in RD 1 and Moore was coming back from Missing a Entire Season of Footy

Moore kicked 4 goals that day, Langford 5.
They put Moore in defence to curb him but he out marked him twice.
He just has a habit of floating in the air.

In the past week I've decided I'd prefer this kid over Laverde. I look at his game, (highlights) read write ups on him and he looks like he's got the scope to become one of the best this draft will produce.
Firstly, his marking is just a cut above. He plucks anything that goes near him straight out of the air with a really good, clean set of hands. He positions his body so well that he makes it look easy even when he's outsized, outnumbered or late to the contest.
His field kicking, though not exceptional, is very good although he'll need to practise kicking flatter and more direct passes. Close to goal however his use looks beautiful. He uses his left really creatively when needed and his ability to do so means he's all the more dangerous around goal. His set shots are very, very good and it's always good when a player has the ability to get good conversion from his opportunities.
He doesn't appear to move with extreme pace but he moves well and creates space for himself well so he can dispose of the ball effectively. He doesn't appear rushed either and looks to sum up his options before he disposes of the ball.
All up he just looks the goods. He's got footy smarts, is an elite mark, excellent kick on both sides and puts himself in the right places to exploit his strengths. He's also a really solid character as well which is a huge plus. His late birthday also makes him an attractive pick up.
My only real concern regarding the kid is the chance of a growth spurt putting him at an awkward height. He's very light but he doesn't look like he'll have an issue bulking up but if he were to grow 2-4cm it'd potentially rule him out of eventually being developed into a tall mid/wing which is where I think most teams would like to eventually have him play.

Why don't we have both, just noticed your post and was just amazed that these 2 ended up lasting till picks 17 and 20...happy daze..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back