News Tiger Hampson admits off-field challenges hurt his output

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope none of you have to experience balancing the expectations of thousands of sports fans with trying to grieve the death of your father

Sounds like a guy that just wants the abuse he gets on the street to stop and to be treated like a real person

You've said it now though Hampson so follow up on it

So what's his excuse for his tenure at Carlton?

Jesus tapdancing Christ, do some of you blokes ever ease up? Guy's lost a close family member and has said he knows he needs to improve to not be left behind, and people are crucifying him for it???

They're comments he made during a promotion for men's health, after admitting that his father's death and the birth of his kid might have affected his form. It's not a political puff piece by the club, it was written by Travis King from afl.com.au.

I'm not even a Hampson lover, he's a sub-VFL standard one-dimensional tap ruckman. But of all the things to roast him about, this is probably the most petty and the least warranted.

Jesus tapdancing Christ, do some of you blokes ever ease up? Guy's lost a close family member and has said he knows he needs to improve to not be left behind, and people are crucifying him for it???

They're comments he made during a promotion for men's health, after admitting that his father's death and the birth of his kid might have affected his form. It's not a political puff piece by the club, it was written by Travis King from afl.com.au.

I'm not even a Hampson lover, he's a sub-VFL standard one-dimensional tap ruckman. But of all the things to roast him about, this is probably the most petty and the least warranted.
You've missed my argument and reasons for the roast
This piece indicates to me he's never been mentally or physically prepared to play afl football bc of his poor attitude
The death of his father was a tragedy and relevant for his men's health promo, but not to why he has had a poor attitude from when first drafted. It's bewildering how he survived in the system so long

For the love of god...how many years has he been in the system
Why is it some footballers get minimum time/ opportunities and others seem to have all the time in the world to get it together
Sean...it's 2015 or bye bye
Unfortunately not everyone is gifted by being 200+cm.
Even Angus got a second crack

Geez, ease up you lot.
The bloke lost his father, comes out and tries to raise money for charity, speaks openly and honestly about what he needs to improve on, and we've decided to give him a roast and sink the boots in.

Terrible.

How about showing a bit of support for a change.
Have you read the posts ?? I suspect not as posters have contlessly stated their condolences for his Dads death
The OP and Roast is based on attitude only

I didn't make it sound minor. You did. I said it was a side issue
Note the word ISSUE It means there is a problem , but not relevant to the points (SIDE) I raised as they appeared to be long term ones from day dot

The definition of a side issue is:

a point or topic connected to or raised by some other issue, but not as important, especially one that distracts attention from that which is important.

That indicates it is minor. You didn't need to dismiss it as a side issue, you could have simply said it was an issue, but your concern was the other statements he said. Instead you chose to play the man

a point or topic connected to or raised by some other issue, but not as important, especially one that distracts attention from that which is important.

That indicates it is minor. You didn't need to dismiss it as a side issue, you could have simply said it was an issue, but your concern was the other statements he said. Instead you chose to play the man

surely his performance is the main issue?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No I clearly looked at performance and attitude , you've thrown it into turmoil
You're muddying the waters and confusing readers with the sad death of his father over performance and attitude
My other concerns are has the club provide him with all the support to overcome his grief ? In reality we are stuck with him for two more years and need him to be mentally ,physically and emotionally prepared if we are to get any improvement out of him
Mate I didn't play the man I just picked out the concerns I found with his interview and as building a positive culture is critical to our club then this guys statement didn't do much for it

No I clearly looked at performance and attitude , you've thrown it into turmoil
You're muddying the waters and confusing readers with the sad death of his father over performance and attitude
My other concerns are has the club provide him with all the support to overcome his grief ? In reality we are stuck with him for two more years and need him to be mentally ,physically and emotionally prepared if we are to get any improvement out of him
Mate I didn't play the man I just picked out the concerns I found with his interview and as building a positive culture is critical to our club then this guys statement didn't do much for it

again, I had no issue with your original post, or the points you were raising on what he said. I just think its a cheap shot to dismiss the issue later raised as a side issue. its dismissive, and plays down how big a factor it can be in peoples lives. As Ive already said, it was an unnecessary put down

again, I had no issue with your original post, or the points you were raising on what he said. I just think its a cheap shot to dismiss the issue later raised as a side issue. its dismissive, and plays down how big a factor it can be in peoples lives. As Ive already said, it was an unnecessary put down
FFS are you for real? I didn't put any one down
Show me where as I explained to you the side issue statement

Maric saying club's standard's aren't right
1182.gif

Hampson saying his own standards' not right, while giving a justifiable reason
inmnqBZs2UH0R.gif

FFS are you for real? I didn't put any one down
Show me where as I explained to you the side issue statement

and I showed you calling it a side show is insulting, because it doesn't mean what you later said it meant. Its means something that is not important and a distraction to the main issue. To infer a fathers death is not important and a distraction to the main issue is insulting

and I showed you calling it a side show is insulting, because it doesn't mean what you later said it meant. Its means something that is not important and a distraction to the main issue. To infer a fathers death is not important and a distraction to the main issue is insulting
Didn't say or infer any of this so stop the crap and Try again You're are now bordering on bullying bc you don't have an argument. Have a rest mate you sound like you need it
Good night and hope to chat with you soon

Last edited:
He is featured in the magazine because he is a footballer

He plays football for richmond

He doesnt play too well

But Earns 5 times what most people earn

He doesnt deserve to earn the money he is on

Because he is a crap footballer

But he gets interviewed for a magazine

Shaun Gale

G'day guys just stumbled across this along my journeys.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-31/tiger-hampson-admits-offfield-challenges-hurt-his-output

Two staggering points

1."I think fitness is a big one. It's never been a strong point of mine, so I'm going to work hard on it in this pre-season and continue working on marking and goalkicking. "

What! He's worked out after 9 seasons that Aussies rules football requires you to be fit.Any wonder Mick was keen to get this guy of his list.:$

2."It's stuff I've had to work on my whole career, but I'll really give it even more this year.":mad:

So he has not been giving his all over the years,but collecting his pay cheque

Anyway I'm opening it up for your opinion guys.
Flower sniffers welcomed;)

Oh come now! lol.

1. If you are going to quote someone, do the whole quote "It all levels out in pre-season and everybody's equal. (I need to) work hard, fix a couple of things in my game and hopefully crack back into the side," Hampson said.

"I think fitness is a big one. It's never been a strong point of mine, so I'm going to work hard on it in this pre-season and continue working on marking and goalkicking.

"It's stuff I've had to work on my whole career, but I'll really give it even more this year".

All he is saying that he needs to work on his fitness. Obviously having been in Micks program, he still has not developed acceptable fitness :p In all seriousness though, he most likely is referring to needing to be fitter as he missed most of the pre season and then missed a chunk of training when his dad passed.

Does that excuse his shocking year ? Nope, it explains it but does not excuse it. To suggest though he has come across for a pay cheque is not only insulting to him, his family and the club but really shows how irrational this hate has become. He did not ask to be traded to us for our round 2 pick, that was the CLUBS fault not his.

Again, all he is clearly saying is that this year his fitness was not good enough. That happens when you miss training/ chunk of the preseason.

Oh come now! lol.

1. If you are going to quote someone, do the whole quote "It all levels out in pre-season and everybody's equal. (I need to) work hard, fix a couple of things in my game and hopefully crack back into the side," Hampson said.

"I think fitness is a big one. It's never been a strong point of mine, so I'm going to work hard on it in this pre-season and continue working on marking and goalkicking.

"It's stuff I've had to work on my whole career, but I'll really give it even more this year".

All he is saying that he needs to work on his fitness. Obviously having been in Micks program, he still has not developed acceptable fitness :p In all seriousness though, he most likely is referring to needing to be fitter as he missed most of the pre season and then missed a chunk of training when his dad passed.

Does that excuse his shocking year ? Nope, it explains it but does not excuse it. To suggest though he has come across for a pay cheque is not only insulting to him, his family and the club but really shows how irrational this hate has become. He did not ask to be traded to us for our round 2 pick, that was the CLUBS fault not his.

Again, all he is clearly saying is that this year his fitness was not good enough. That happens when you miss training/ chunk of the preseason.
You didn't read the article carefully. You are putting your interpretation or spin on it.
He is talking about training not being one of his strengths not in the present year , but from time in system or even earlier
Lets forget about his tragic death of his father unless he's had nine fathers pass away each year for nine years then i will accept your argument
Don't put your spin on it and stick to the facts as your argument would be deemed flimsy in court
My two points in the OP clearly look at the performance or attitude of this guy over his career based on what he told the afl world (not just this season).
These threads are actually a good test to test on whether people are capable of actually able to read a newspaper clip and the op and then to use clear thinking to combine the two
I really am enjoying the responses so thanking you for your input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back