Article Thirty Years On - The Tale of the Swans Relocation

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you have a reference for this? This article specifically was written to cover the events immediately leading up to the relocation, with only the briefest look at surrounding events. that said, I couldnt find a reference for any such merger proposal after a quick look through the internet.

The Wookie,

Silent Alarm is correct. During the very dark years, the Blues actually suggested everything mentioned as Sydney were about to fold. The only thing was that the other 14 or 15 clubs at the time, decided that they would rather Sydney stay together than let the Blues dominate this way.

I will attempt to pull some information together and post in future.

92 the Swans were broke and basically the AFL put a variety of options to the clubs, including winding them up. Carlton did indeed propose the 11 "away games" thing. I'd have to check it but from memory the vote was very close as regards the AFL basically taking them over and letting them die. North were a very interested party and had been involved in a similar but different scheme to Carlton's and we ended up abstaining on the vote, which let the AFL plan go ahead.

South Melbourne goes back in my family as far as my great grandparents, followed through to grandparents, parents then onto me.

My old man was the runner and fitness coach with South up until the move, then stayed around to work with the 2's for 5 or so years, who stayed in Melbourne.

My Pop reckons once the move was sealed that was it for him, just wouldn't follow football anymore, Dad the same.
Apparently at the time we we're going to scrap the red and white and wear NSW blues colours.

The decision was met with a lot of criticism so they announced they'd keep the SMFC colours and the club song, that's when they both decided to stay on supporting.

It's a bittersweet thing for me, I'd love to be able to live in a city that my team calls home so I could see more games more often but the move to Sydney was a godsend, forever thankful for those who orchestrated the move.

As it is now I've been a member over 20 years, go to every Swans game in Melbourne, 2 or 3 in Sydney and every final we play in.

For some reason I always end up shouting South or Bloods at games!

92 the Swans were broke and basically the AFL put a variety of options to the clubs, including winding them up.

Williesee bought the license off Geoff in the late 80's.

He went bankrupt and had to sell the license back to the AFL. They had a vote to keep them in the competition or wind them up in 92'.

AFL then sent in Barassi to coach them in 1993 and they funded Roos & Lockett moving to Sydney.

I remember a story where the KSAS people went to the VFA
Keith Webb (what ever happened to him)
gave them a piece paper stating the cost of running a VFA team and... that was that

I did once see a story from The Age on Google Archive suggesting they wanted to join the VFA. Must have fallen apart when the piece of paper was produced.

Unfortunately thanks to Google News Archive ironically having a search engine Ask Jeeves would be ashamed of I can't find the story again.

Ad from The Age - 14 July 1981

south_zps8b700ccb.jpg

P.S - If you're looking for all the South to Sydney stuff open The Age on Google News Archive on July 1 1981 and start from there. There's a story almost every day from then on.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ad from The Age - 14 July 1981

south_zps8b700ccb.jpg

P.S - If you're looking for all the South to Sydney stuff open The Age on Google News Archive on July 1 1981 and start from there. There's a story almost every day from then on.

The Victorian press have been consistent, they want all the benefits but stonewall the changes.

Williesee bought the license off Geoff in the late 80's.

He went bankrupt and had to sell the license back to the AFL. They had a vote to keep them in the competition or wind them up in 92'.

AFL then sent in Barassi to coach them in 1993 and they funded Roos & Lockett moving to Sydney.

& the value is shown in every TV deal.

The Victorian press have been consistent, they want all the benefits but stonewall the changes.

The articles (in The Age anyway) are quite balanced on the plan. This is an ad bought by the KSAS committee.

If the then VFL decided to move a club to sydney rather than campaign against not being able to televise on sundays it just shows what a short sighted bunch they have been over the years

I like how this write-up, from a Blues fan, failed to mention their proposed 'merger' with South Melbourne. Wasn't it that the club would continue to play at Optus Oval, be called the Carlton Blues, but play 11 'away' games up at the SCG and have an SMFC monogram on their shorts as the signal of the combined entity?

Yes, I remember this, crazy plan, how did Carlton ever think they would get away with this.

Suppose they Bought North at one stage.

My mother is a South/Swans fan and has a book by Jim Main about the history of the Swans. Can't remember the name of it, it was written in late 1996 or early 1997.

The book I am familiar with is called "In the Blood", but I don't think it was written in the 1990s, I recall it only being published a few years back.

My memory of it based on t'v broadcasts was they were the noted as "the swans" for scores etc
and there seemed to be an imbargo or reluctance on using the term "south Melbourne" at all

there's a book put out c 1986 very much party line pro Broadcom painting KSAS as misguided

Last edited:
They started 1982 as South Melbourne but officially changed their name mid-season.

I did see the familiar 80's Sydney Swans logo in a newspaper article before the 1982 season, but that was probably just (at the time) for the consumption of Sydneysiders.

Even though there was only supposed to be a one year 'trial' of 11 home games in Sydney articles before the season started point out that they're up for millions of dollars of sponsorship if they stay in Sydney but would probably not get a cent in Melbourne and concede that there is no way they're not relocating permanently.

Edit - Looks like the change began to take place from around Round 8 1982 http://news.google.com.au/newspapers?id=1T9VAAAAIBAJ&sjid=pZQDAAAAIBAJ&pg=2497,6713724

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back