Certified Legendary Thread Willo's Friday Inquisitions - Seasons 1 & 2

Remove this Banner Ad

So , going by the hammer comments you had this one in the bag a while ago Willo_? dazbroncos , can hoonestly say he is one of the reasons Im still around this place when I think at times I should just leave it to the younguns'
Yeah it was wrapped up by last weekend I think... have a few more ready to go as well... so hopefully not much changes in between me posting them!

Lose track of em too easily I reckon.
Awesome work though Willo_ and dazbroncos !
Yeah my preference is to keep them all together..... and since I'm the one driving the bus that's what's going to happen!

I will link each interview up to the OP so they are there easy for everyone who wants to skip all the other BS

i kinda feel like seal when i read a post from dazbroncos

baby-shocked-gif.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi fellow Cats posters and opposition lurkers,

Tonight we are joined by a very special guest, he is our very own celebrity particuarly on Geelongs own K-Rock, the 2012 (I think) poster of the year... the man who doesn't sleep (but when he does it's in a Cats beanie cuddling a Grammy)

The one and only dazbroncos

*This was completed before the last batch of delistings, I have left the answers regarding players now gone in as it's all good insight

So how does it feel to be a twitter and KRock celebrity?

Definitely don't consider myself a celebrity by any metric. Just a cats fan using the mediums available as I'm limited by distance and want to be involved in the discussions. There are plenty of people ore knowledgable than I but it is nice to hear that the contribution is noted as appreciated.

And my album drops next week so make sure grab a copy!.. Did I do that right?
Just kidding....

Hahaha just remember your friends here when you conquer the world!

You mention using the mediums available of which bigfooty is obviously a huge part... how did you find bigfooty and how grateful are you for places like this? And on the other side of the coin how frustrating is it being limited by distance and how hard is it?

And of course I have no onstage talents at all….

I found BF after a brief Google search and the rest is history.
BF makes a massive difference for me as it gives me a very important slice of home that is not location dependant. You get great people, great insights and information with some strong opinions that on the whole are incredibly good and well thought out. Id say that for information and discussion, there are better people on BFthat are better than in the media. And there are some really talented people that put their wares up for all to see in terms of the media content stuff. Very skilled people.

The downside of it can be tolerating the hijacking of reasonable discussions with repetition. I welcome the difference in opinions and the discussion it brings. Thats one of the best parts.

Being far, far ,far away sucks. It means the games are hard to watch and the not being able to just GO is really difficult. Its hard, especially with the success we have had, to have not really been involved in it personally on a local level. That said, you make the best of it and if that means 28 odd weeks a year of 2am alarms, no sleep and 24 hour days just to be involved then you do it. There is no end to the vitriol spouting out of me however when you make the effort to get up, set the streaming thru the TV and laptop to go and then get blacked out by some AFL restrictions on media coverage or even worse, technical difficulties.

I will say it makes the wins all the more enjoyable. The losses are REALLY hard on little to no sleep however. It would be great to be able to put some faces to the names ( meet ups) and get to the VFL stuff as well to see how he newer and younger player at the club are getting along.

Its not hard for there to be better people on BF than the media when the biggest footy paper in the land (the HS) has Robbo as the chief football writer!! but i agree completely

You mentioned not being able to go being really difficult, I know this year you were back for a few weeks. How often do you get back home, and does the fixture dictate when you try to get home?

I try to get home home every year for about a month and its easy for me to just pack up and piss off. The Minister of War and finance, as supportive as she can be, usually has a fair swing at the feasibility and with the kids thrown in its getting harder and more expensive every year. That said both kids by age 5 have more frequent flyer points than I had by the time I was 30 so they are doing fine.

The times I get home are pretty dictated by when work settles or drops off for mess that is often the main catalyst - then the famiily's schedule and so forth. However, once the general time period has been sorted and if it falls between March and September, there is serious Footy consultation. Same goes for Dec - Feb with the cricket.

What do the wife and kids think of this weird Australian game that has their husband/Dad completely obsessed to the point of staying up all night once a week for half a year?

The wife gets it ( not really but ill just leave it there ) and just accommodates it like all good spouses do of their partners obsessions…

The kids have been completely brainwashed into all things Cats footy. One of my mates from Oz came thru LA last week and his son is a big Hawks fan of about 6 years. My 5 year old saw him for about the third time so they know each other relatively well for 5 year olds living 1/2 a world apart.

We met at Disneyland and had a great day. However, he turned up wearing his favorite signed Luke Hodge Hawks jumper…. to which my 5 year old quickly and quietly whispered to me as they approached that " look Daddy he's wearing the Poos and Wees jumper… we don't like them them do we!"
I was rolling and then had to remind her to not yell that out during the rest of the day.

Its hard to fit it into my schedule honestly and it has an effect on them too as I get tired at the days end after a game but they know its just me getting grumpy and in need of a nap.

The kids enjoyed an open training session last year so maybe we'll get another one in soon.

Given that you don't get to see too many live games these days this question may take you back a bit, but what is your all time favourite footy moment you have seen live?

Its kind of a limited sample…

I saw the 14 GAS kicked against the Tigers in 89 and then the Final Vs Essendon at Waverly.

Juniors last game at KP in 2010 was well. Nothing huge but it was nice to see I guess.

Watching any game that GAS was in really. He was the reason people went to the Footy as you just knew you would see something special. Whether it was Jonny Gastev losing all the air in his lungs for a month, kicking 9 in a GF, redirecting planes on Pert's shoulder, chasing a wet ball full pace thru the middle of the G keeping it in front of him then dodging a player and putting it thru from 50 on the run or sizing up the goals from 60 , baulking the player on the mark and casually slotting it from 45 - you knew there would be something special.

And yes, the greatest I have ever seen as im sure you are gonna ask.

Well that saves me asking :) are you trying to shorten this interview or something??

Do yanks have any understanding or appreciation for the game? And how do to find trying get to explain the game to them?

The seppos have no clue. There are some that are interested and once they see how hard it really is there opinion develops quite quickly. A few friends have sat and watched replays and kind of gotten into but that as far as they get. No membership sales yet.

Many can't be bothered and for me getting people to watch Cats games live is pretty difficult.

There are many debates about how AFL can't be harder than NFL and back and forth. I usually compromise on it a bit allowing for the strength and power of the NFL players and their size is amazing.
They however get lots of rest and recovery time.

I push our skills and endurance and that no NFL player, clearly from their skill positions WR, TE or DB would be able to make it straight into the game on fitness levels or toughness levels.

I feel however that our guys could run with them step for step and take some of the hits dished out.
Of course, the USA is the best at everything and that discussion is a battle.

In my head I just am seeing the scene from 'Funny People' with Eric Bana watching a game with Adam Sandler and Seth Rogan

yes… and yes. But with uglier people.

Hahahaha

So what do you do during the off season to get your fix from home? You mentioned the cricket earlier but I can't see you sitting up all night watching day 2 of the 2nd test at the WACA

Cricket.

Many moons ago I got Direct TV over here - requires a special dish to receive international channels and this is where they bury the Willow Channel. So its $15 a month for that from Nov - March.
And my DVR has 300 hrs of SD space. So its all about recording the tests and trying to barrel thru 8 hrs a day and not getting too far behind. I find I can watch 8 hrs in about 4 with a bit of cutting stuff out. Im a cricket tragic so it's easy enough most of the time.

Does the trick if I can't get home for the real deal. But yes, I watch all I can. In short, Im taking about 20 years off my life for bad sleeping patterns in the last 15 years.

But its survival.

Your commitment is outstanding I have to say.

Obviously bigfooty helps you get your Aussie Fix over the off season as well..

Very much so. Head off the Geelong board to other places for info can be entertaining to say the least but with the FA/ trading period it was good to get a different perspective. Some of which needed some adjustment upside the head but a lot of really good information came from it - so yes BF is a lifeline on that front.

Can be divisive at times to but again overall the information is great and surprisingly accurate.

After venturing to other places however its always great to get back home so to speak.

How do you think we went trading wise? We unfortunately had the Bundy situation which threw us in the crap a week in

Not the best of weeks on face value. Bundy a big loss no doubt. Probably in the first 8 or so picked when fit and in that are group we lack a lot of. And the club was doing, from all accounts, everything to get him signed. There are some stories out there i'll leave alone but suffice to say if the environment was that toxic that he had to go then better he is gone and we move forward. 21 for him is not enough but better than nothing.

Gettling Mitch Clark will help us up forward but is risky given his history. Same for Stanley really although big guys seem to take the longest to develop so maybe getting ones well into the development phase might be a masterstroke…. or not. We will see.

Was sad to see TV leave but perhaps it was time. He played his role at the club and was not the same after losing confidence in his body Will always be remembered for the 2011 GF and particularly that goal in the 4th qtr. Sherringham, Bourke, Stringer were expected. Burbs and Schroeder could consider themselves shorted but its business and their time was up.

As for the pick trade, we need the best we can get and 10 just helps Wells more with greater choice. Never a bad thing.

Lots of wait and sees in this one for sure.

I see you no longer have a photo of yourself as your display pic here.... any chance you update the egg on twitter anytime soon? (for those not aware Daz despite having no problems with using a picture of himself as his Avatar here has not changed his profile picture on twitter from the default egg... despite being a twitter celebrity on KRock)

I changed that out as it was getting close to Wells time of year. So its just a tribute to him really.
As for the other, if I remember and get the time lol. Being faceless sometimes has its advantages

Going forward, who out of the kids that aren't regulars excites you the most and why?

Clearly a Kersten fan. Think he will do very well for us. A full preseason, injury free and the rest is up to him. He did ok in the first 4 game he played then tailed off. Needs to arrest that. Would hope he is played as #3 forward and allowed to lead up the ground. Our Gunston type.

James Toohey could also surprise. Long way back as a rookie but is tall, big, good below his knees and good skills. Can push forward and kick goals too. Is young so time on his side.

Would luv to see Hammer get a go too. Is like a far more ready version of Toohey. Picked by Wells as a project 3 years ago and I feel has to get a go, and a good go this year in the Mackie role. Is quick, has fast skills and plays hard.

Hartman should see more time in the TV role and also Lang playing inside mid for Bundy.

Lincoln McCarthy I also like as the small forward. Hard, fast and athletic. Just needs, like Motlop, to slow down 1/2 a sec before disposal of the ball.

Go Catters

YES!! You have finally answered a question with your trademark 'Go Catters'
What started that and why do you sign off every post with it?

I’m pretty sure my first post ended with that… and it kinda stuck.
It’s what I often yell the footy and given I don't yell much at the TV at 2 am for obvious reason, I thought a Geelong forum was a good a place as any to do it.

Did it when I started and 9500 posts later it's still going. I don't really think about it anymore to be honest. Kinda fun when it annoys the other supporters of opposition clubs too… :)

One last question.... Where do you see us in 2015?

Ah the old 2015 projections…..

Sounds like a cliche, probably as it is, but 2015 could really go either way. The consensus would, IMO, be a slide out of the top 4 but still in the 8. We have cleared, or had clear our, some solid talent and loved Geelong players and junked some dead wood. We have kept, as many would assert, wounded ducks, and have brought in so far some really big question marks.

AS such, its pretty easy to presume that based on that viewpoint that a slide is coming, especially as those around us ( Hawks, Swans, Freo, North) will probably get better.

It will be very interesting to see how it goes. If the question marks become exclamation marks, the ducks fly and we travel better as we are lighter without the dead wood the sky is the limit.

Is this possible? Absolutely. How likely it is remains to be seen. As one from the 1/2 full society, I'll back the club to have done the research on whom we have acquired and expect them to do what is required to make their place in the 22 their own. I hope it is not gifted but deemed worthy on their efforts.

The wounded ducks, for now, need to get out there. Getting healthy is the least of their issues. Its all about getting and staying out there. Form and fitness will follow just getting out there.

As for the incumbents, we need to be getting games into the newer players and allowing the Vets to play but be better managed. We were not fit enough - see Port etc - and by own admission we need to improve there. Depth wins you flags and its well known ours is not only being tested but its inexperienced and lacking in the age group that you need, historically anyway, to have to be a genuine Premiership threat.

Not saying it can't happen but its going to be a massive effort. No major injuries and health to those that are hurt, a complete buy into the GFC by not only those that end up here but those that are already here.
A blooding of the youth whilst maintaining the leadership and experience that is there.

And Boris getting to 300. Milestones like this are getting harder to achieve and while it may not add wins or Premierships in isolation, the effect it has on the club would be great.

Go Catters

Thanks heaps for your time Daz, I've enjoyed getting to know more of the man behind the Grammy ;)

Cheers mate.

Hope it was what you thought you would you get. Im just a very ordinary ****** that doubles as a Cats fan - and quite honestly im just one of the crowd that appreciates this place and all that to brings.

thanks for your time. Keep up the good work.

GO Catters :)

Great again guys!

Just one problem here...Daz isn't excited for Jansen :'( :'( :'(

Well done guys.
And Willo. I'd never seen that Bana vid. Pisser.

But I would have asked and will ask this.
You work in lighting in LA Daz.

Who have you worked with / for.
Done any rock concerts?
What were great experiences?
What were the opportunities you knocked back? (explain. might have been a party. Offer of sex, drugs. you get the gist)
Who are the top 2 arses and 2 best you've met?

Well done guys.
And Willo. I'd never seen that Bana vid. Pisser.

But I would have asked and will ask this.
You work in lighting in LA Daz.

Who have you worked with / for.
Done any rock concerts?
What were great experiences?
What were the opportunities you knocked back? (explain. might have been a party. Offer of sex, drugs. you get the gist)
Who are the top 2 arses and 2 best you've met?
You didn't catch the Krock extravaganza?I'm sure someone could bump it.

Daz have you ran into or know of a septic over there in LA who's an absolute AFL tragic,first name Jeff used to talk regularly with a bloke on talk back radio here in Brisbane,he apparently kicked of an AFL league over there,the bloke he talked at 4bc is no longer doing it due to ill health so don't know where the league is at,can you shed any light on either?

So , going by the hammer comments you had this one in the bag a while ago Willo_? dazbroncos , can hoonestly say he is one of the reasons Im still around this place when I think at times I should just leave it to the younguns'

Just happy to be part of the furniture and a pleasure to be appreciated.
Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back