NFL 2014 NFL - Week 9

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't really follow the Panthers last season but what are they lacking this season compared to last season when they qualified for the number 2 seed in the NFC?

no WRs, no secondary, no greg hardy,too much money being spent on RBs

Funny I have seen heaps of Carolina fans on Twitter calling for Derek Anderson to be the QB.
I'd like that :cool:

May or may not be because it would make you worse and give Atlanta a shot at winning.

Offense has been the biggest issue for the Panthers and that is despite the Defense not performing as it should. The salary cap issues that we've got meant we spent the off season with 1 hand tied behind our back. Hopefully it can be sorted in this coming off season.

Hardy's trial has been postponed. ESPN is reporting that Hardy will ask Goodell to be reinstated to the active roster.

Outside of Olsen and Newton the offence is incompetent.

Cut Steve Smith Snr and Jordan Gross (their Pro Bowl left tackle) retired unexpectedly. Panthers have zero cap space (Greg Hardy and Charles Johnson are tying up a lot of cap space between them, and they have $8 million in dead money on Jon Beason!) so they couldn't sign anyone in free agency.

Plus the Panthers have drafted a stack of defensive tackles in the last few seasons.

Thanks for the info guys

Having just watched the replay of today's game I've got to say I really, really hate Thursday Night games.

Not sure if it's the insufferable commentary team, the short week & lack of preparation or the matchups we've had, but the games lack the same sense of urgency we see on a Sunday (Monday morning).

For us it was a pretty typical road game. Workmanlike but messy and the inevitable turnovers. Ingram again the star and probably our best offensive player so far this season.

The Panthers were terrible again. Their D is challenging & still probably the best D in the division (not hard) but they lack play-makers in the secondary to capitalise on the great work up front. Graham looked uncharacteristically nimble against Roman "tram tracks" Harper.

Their O is their problem though. I couldn't believe we hard to suffer through a half of commentators wanking over Cam while he sprayed footballs all over the park. Eventually even they couldn't ignore such a pathetic performance.

Happy with the win and division lead but it was the usual Thursday Night non-event.

Brady can make average receivers look good. Cam can't.

It's very counter intuitive, but its actually very surprising just how bad the Patriots are at drafting/developing WRs. They've had quite a lot of guys bust in their system.

It contrasts with Peyton, who seems to have every player that comes across him turn into gold.

It's very counter intuitive, but its actually very surprising just how bad the Patriots are at drafting/developing WRs. They've had quite a lot of guys bust in their system.

It contrasts with Peyton, who seems to have every player that comes across him turn into gold.

I wonder how many high draft pick WR Peyton and Brady have been given over their careers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder how many high draft pick WR Peyton and Brady have been given over their careers

In terms of first rounders Peyton's had: Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, A. Gonzales, D. Thomas (was there before he got there of course). Probably some seconds as well, but don't have that figure.

I don't think they've given Brady any first round picks, but I think there have been some seconds (Dobson etc.). Figures may be effected by the Patriots trading down a few times.

Of course Brady has also been given quite a few prominent free agents (Moss, Welk, Ocho Cinco, Lloyd). Peyton's probably had less prominent free agents brought in, though still some recently (Welk, E. Sanders).

It just seems like every guy they put with Peyton goes on to become a stud 'weapon' who Peyton's later described as lucky to have. Look at a guy like Sanders- never had more than a 750 yard season before.

Poor Rams, blew the head-gasket on this trade....

The Eric Dickerson trade turns 27
Posted by Mike Wilkening on October 31, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwyznzmzothhmzyzmjrhmtnhntmwotljzwm4mwm5owrm-e1414810760683.jpeg
Getty Images
Friday is the 27th anniversary of the Los Angeles Rams trading Eric Dickerson to the Indianapolis Colts, something Dickerson himself pointed out this afternoon.

This was no small trade. According to NFL records, it involved the fourth-most players/picks in league history. The deal also looped in a third team, the Buffalo Bills.

All three clubs came away with their own presumed pot of gold.

The Colts got Dickerson, in his prime at age 27 and the league’s leading rusher the previous season.

The Bills received linebacker Cornelius Bennett, the second overall pick in the 1987 draft.

The Rams got a bushel of draft picks — three first-rounders and three second-rounders. They also received tailbacks Greg Bell and Owen Gill.

Dickerson, for his part, rushed for nearly 4,000 yards in his first three seasons in Indianapolis, including 1987, when the Colts made the postseason. In his lone playoff game with the franchise, Dickerson racked up 115 combined yards and a caught a TD pass, but Indianapolis fell 38-21 to Cleveland. In all, Dickerson would play 61 games for the Colts before being dealt to Oakland in 1992.

Bennett, meanwhile, was a five-time Pro Bowler for Buffalo, a key part of a club that made four straight Super Bowls.

So what about the Rams’ draft pick haul? As it turns out, they drafted just one Pro Bowler — tailback Gaston Green. And Green’s Pro Bowl season came with Denver, not Los Angeles. The veteran Bell, though, was a starter on the Rams’ 1988 and 1989 postseason entrants.

But the Herschel Walker trade it was not for the Los Angeles Rams, who would, in time, move to St. Louis. Dickerson, in time, would become a Hall of Famer. The Hoosier Dome, where Dickerson played his home games in Indianapolis, is gone, and no NFL team plays on Astroturf anymore.

Well, so not all change is bad, but the days of teams getting together to construct 10-player/pick deals are probably gone. And that’s no fun.

Well, at least we have Twitter.

Jeepers. I only just got around to watching the condensed version of TNF this evening.

I heard on the Move The Sticks podcast this week that 4 of Carolinas O-line are UDFAs. It showed in this game. They were inept.

I heard on the Move The Sticks podcast this week that 4 of Carolinas O-line are UDFAs. It showed in this game. They were inept.
I reckon that's a tad harsh.

For most of the game they did enough to give the O the opportunities they needed. They weren't responsible for Cam spraying passes & receivers dropping easy passes. When Carolina used their RB's to the run the ball the OL did a pretty good job there too.

In fact if we compare their performance with the Saints OL, I'd say the Panthers did at least a well as them in protecting their QB (probably better).

romo will not play, its just that they are trying to drag out the suspense until gametime. Their OC just said it is vary rare that a quarterback who has missed practice all week still suits up for the game. Plus seeing that he now has 2 fractures in his back plus the fact that they have to travel to london on a short week would make it seem that it would be best to rest your Qb.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back