Rockliff v S.Hill

Who would you prefer?

• Tom Rockliff

Votes: 61 55.5%
  • Stephen Hill

Votes: 49 44.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

One is an outside midfielder with great skills and line breaking ability whose every possession is gold, the other is a tackling machine that thrives on the contest, but doesn't make the most of his possessions.

Very strange comparison. I'd rather have Hill at the Dogs because it would complement our midfield because of our lack of line breakers.

One is an outside midfielder with great skills and line breaking ability whose every possession is gold, the other is a tackling machine that thrives on the contest, but doesn't make the most of his possessions.

Very strange comparison. I'd rather have Hill at the Dogs because it would complement our midfield because of our lack of line breakers.
Hill at Essendon for this reason.

Rockliff is definitely the better player though.

ye it is strange complete different players it really depends on which type of player you would prefer.

Rockliff the better player... but we need a Stephen Hill type....

after having a discusion with a Freo suporter about who they would take i was interested in a neutral view on who you would prefer at your club, both complete different types of players so just the one that you would like at your club the most. Both from the 2008 draft so no age excuse all just based on pure output.
Can't Believe you started a thread on this. Never said Hill was the better player, I said I would still take him at 3 and that he is a far more damaging player then Rockliff, which he is. Both would get a game in every side in the league, but I would take hill.

Rockliff is the better player and I would want him at the Saints

Rockliff is the Scott West of the modern era - just accumulates a load meaningless possessions that have a minimal effect on the outcome of matches.

Hill is inconsistent and gets about 1/2 as much of it but still has more of an impact which says something.

Have to give the voters in this thread credit though, it looks as if at least 50% of them have actually managed to look further than the statsheet.

Rockliff is the Scott West of the modern era - just accumulates a load meaningless possessions that have a minimal effect on the outcome of matches.

Hill is inconsistent and gets about 1/2 as much of it but still has more of an impact which says something.

Have to give the voters in this thread credit though, it looks as if at least 50% of them have actually managed to look further than the statsheet.
Bitter until the very end :D Rockliff is a two time best and fairest and current all Australian. Comparing him to Scott West and thinking that is an insult just worsens your argument for Hill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rockliff's the kind of guy you build a club around, but I don't think this should rule Hill out, by any means. He's outrageously good in full flight.

I'd rather have Hill at the Dogs, purely because of his pace and the greater impact of his disposals.

Elite outside mids are alot harder to find then inside grunts. Look at most people's top 50/25 players and count how many are one paced mids.
Also look at how many fast athletic types who get drafted fail. I heard a statistic that in the first round inside mids succeed 80% of the time opposed to outside mids who only have a 40% success rate.

In saying that rockliff is clearly has more runs on the bored.

It also worth mentioning that one racks up meaningless possessions for one of the worst teams in the comp while the other is a crucial player in one of the best midfields in the comp. If Rockliff moved into Fremantle's midfield it wouldn't help them much - he is not better than Mundy or Fyfe imo. If Hill left Fremantle it would significantly weaken them.

It's interesting reading people's views about one being more damaging yet over their careers they average the same goal assists per game and 1 shot on goal per game as well. It will be good when we have Rich, Redden and Leuenberger back into our midfield next year - he will then be able to get forward of the ball to bump up his attacking stats. Especially when you consider Mayes and Aish will have another year under their belt and we will be adding Beams, Christensen and Robinson to our midfield, I'd be surprised if Rockliff doesn't break the 20 goal barrier next year (interestingly Hill hasn't done this yet either).

It's interesting reading people's views about one being more damaging yet over their careers they average the same goal assists per game and 1 shot on goal per game as well. It will be good when we have Rich, Redden and Leuenberger back into our midfield next year - he will then be able to get forward of the ball to bump up his attacking stats. Especially when you consider Mayes and Aish will have another year under their belt and we will be adding Beams, Christensen and Robinson to our midfield, I'd be surprised if Rockliff doesn't break the 20 goal barrier next year (interestingly Hill hasn't done this yet either).
You're looking at this wrong. Goal assists and shots on goal don't mean one is more damaging, especially since Rocky has played a bit of time as a forward whereas Hill has not.

Hill makes his possessions count. You just have to watch a game each of theirs to see the difference in this, and it's something stats won't show properly.

But the thing is, because of the rest of the midfield Rockliff doesn't need to do that. You have Rich, Christensen, Beams, Hanley etc. for that and I hate you because your midfield is absurdly good.

As timtamWB mentioned, it's got little to do with scoring, and more with the impact (hence 'damaging') of his disposals around a stoppage - chains of possession often begin with Rockliff but his disposals don't open up stoppages or create opportunities for the team to break and/or score - for the most part. The players feeding off Rockliff within the stoppage often dish it out to the runners.

It's just a vision thing - we had a similar debate on the Rockliff/Liberatore thread - you shouldn't equate people preferring Hill's impact with them stating he's a better player - it's merely what they'd prefer to add to their team. Rocky's a leader of men, a huge physical presence and capable of hitting the scoreboard, but his contribution at the stoppages is the 'meat and potatoes', if you like. It's not something you can always statistically measure, with the traditional KPIs.

Rocky's got other dimensions to his game, but plenty of sides lack someone of Hill's pace and vision - he opens up the stoppage and moves it forward so often. That's essentially why, given the choice, people would choose to add Hill to their team.

You're looking at this wrong. Goal assists and shots on goal don't mean one is more damaging, especially since Rocky has played a bit of time as a forward whereas Hill has not.

Hill makes his possessions count. You just have to watch a game each of theirs to see the difference in this, and it's something stats won't show properly.

But the thing is, because of the rest of the midfield Rockliff doesn't need to do that. You have Rich, Christensen, Beams, Hanley etc. for that and I hate you because your midfield is absurdly good.
But the context of damaging I was talking about was goal assists and goals. I totally agree that the traits Hill has means he will mostly always be more damaging on the outside with his disposals (if he wasn't he'd be struggling to get a game). It's like comparing Rich and Rockliff, one is more damaging with his disposals without a doubt. But put both permanently in the forward line and I'd take Rockliff's ability over Rich.

Regarding Rockliff playing more time up forward than Hill, I disagree with. You'll find he had 7 goals in his first 3 games this year and then at the end of that 3 game stretch Leuenberger and Rich went down meaning he couldn't spend anywhere near as much time up forward, with those injuries resulting in two less mature bodies in the middle for a team that had 6 teenagers in it for a majority of the weeks. So to say Hill spent less time in the forward half is wrong, especially when one player was in a top 4 team and we also had Redden went down halfway as well.

Also, when we have the midfield we have, with Rockliff's ability in the forward 50, we'd be crazy not to have him spending time up forward next year.

But the context of damaging I was talking about was goal assists and goals. I totally agree that the traits Hill has means he will mostly always be more damaging on the outside with his disposals (if he wasn't he'd be struggling to get a game). It's like comparing Rich and Rockliff, one is more damaging with his disposals without a doubt. But put both permanently in the forward line and I'd take Rockliff's ability over Rich.

Regarding Rockliff playing more time up forward than Hill, I disagree with. You'll find he had 7 goals in his first 3 games this year and then at the end of that 3 game stretch Leuenberger and Rich went down meaning he couldn't spend anywhere near as much time up forward, with those injuries resulting in two less mature bodies in the middle for a team that had 6 teenagers in it for a majority of the weeks. So to say Hill spent less time in the forward half is wrong, especially when one player was in a top 4 team and we also had Redden went down halfway as well.

Also, when we have the midfield we have, with Rockliff's ability in the forward 50, we'd be crazy not to have him spending time up forward next year.
I wasn't talking about their work in the forward line at all, I only mentioned it because you brought it up. Rockliff is better than Hill in the forward line, no doubt. And he's played a lot more as a forward than Hill has over his whole career, which is what I said. Rocky has played more time as a forward over his whole career, and he probably has more this year as well. He hasn't played much time up forward, Hill just doesn't really play in the forward line.

When I say damaging, I mean in whatever position they are. If I'm talking about a midfielder, I'll be talking about their use of the ball. If I'm talking about a defender, I'll be talking about their rebound or their ability one on one etc. And Hill is a more damaging mid than Rockliff. Rockliff is a better player, but like you've said it's like comparing Rich and Rockliff. They're completely different players, so it doesn't make much sense to compare them.

It also worth mentioning that one racks up meaningless possessions for one of the worst teams in the comp while the other is a crucial player in one of the best midfields in the comp. If Rockliff moved into Fremantle's midfield it wouldn't help them much - he is not better than Mundy or Fyfe imo. If Hill left Fremantle it would significantly weaken them.
Hardly a fair comparison, only the great one is better than Fyfe IMO (Rocky's got Mundy covered though).

I voted Rockliff, contested possessions is where the game is won (thus making them probably the most meaningful possessions) and Rocky averaged five more CP per game than Hill.
Plus, Rocky is unable to be tagged, where as Hill can be tagged out of it (although much better this year than previously).

Pretty sure it has been said on big footy that Rockliff averaged the most effective possessions so your logic is out the window.

Back