Recruiting EFC Trade/Draft Talk II with F/A rules in OP - Billings for a fourth rounder the latest rumour

What do we do with the #1 pick?

• Use it

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • Trade it for multiple top 10 picks

Votes: 65 42.2%
  • Trade it for players

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade it for players and first round picks

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aylett outruns O'Brien and has better speed. Pretty sure that Aylett was running third in those trials behind Rayner and Ambrose.

As good as Hams' attack is I don't see it as being quantifiably "better".

Browne is not as good a runner in terms of speed or endurance and sprays as many kicks as he nails.

I'm not sure we're going to find anyone who is noticeably harder at the man of the contest than Aylett has been this year, at least not to the extent that it would be an elite attribute which separates him from Aylett to the extent that he keeps his spot on the main list.

Like I said in the Aylett thread there is more than enough that has happened this off-season which makes it look like we've managed our list as though we are now at the end of October 2013 ignoring much of what has happened this year. There is a pretty big elephant in the room if you want to consider this line of thought.

The all powerful elephant in the room.

Seriously Aylett has shown a bit in the VFL, as have many other players who never make the next step to AFL.

He got a game last year and didn't set the world on Fire. O'Brien, Browne and Kommer to name a few that you've compared him to, have shown alot more when they have had opportunities.

As it stands Aylett as a hard inside mid has shown potential in the VFL and the club obviously believes he needs to work on some areas of his game. A rookie listing is hardly the end of the world as we've had many rookies get opportunities through out the last few years. If he's good enough he can still make it.

One of those games he was the sub and in the other from what I remember he barely played in the middle.

It goes back to the classic "Play VFL in the midfield but AFL in the forward pocket"
So true, if we want young guys to come in and play a certain position in the seniors they should be played in that position. For example we had Jetta playing in the midfield in the VFL but in the AFL we stuck him in a forward pocket and he was useless. Similar thing with Hurley, he played the vast majority if not the entirety of his junior football as a full back (from memory he was an U18 All-Australian in his draft year in at full back), and then because we didn't think to draft a key forward, we spent up to and including 2013 trying to turn him into a CHF and while he had some good moments it just wasn't working!

Yup the guys potentially available are: Callum Daniher (or is it Harvey Daniher?), Tom Wallis, Todd Vander Haar.

I thought it was Harvey Daniher, Jett Bewick and Tom Wallis

(going off ages listed in the James Hird Academy newsletter update)

Jake Long (eligible 2014)

Tom Wallis (eligible 2015)
Jett Bewick (eligible 2015)

Harvey Daniher (eligible 2016)
Matthew Neagle (eligible 2016)

One of those games he was the sub and in the other from what I remember he barely played in the middle.

It goes back to the classic "Play VFL in the midfield but AFL in the forward pocket"

These days you need to play in multiple positions. Aylett is way down the list of being a starting mid and if he can;t play well in another position then his value goes down.

These days you need to play in multiple positions. Aylett is way down the list of being a starting mid and if he can;t play well in another position then his value goes down.
He started his career off HB. Aylett would have been top 5 in our VFL BnF

Dalgleish (and maybe Hams) is worth persisting with for another couple of years, his growth an development has been stunted by injuries.

The others will go unless something extraordinary happens. Having said that Browne's sidestep might save him.

That's my reading of the situation - Was showing that some of these guys have been on the list for while - And usually you can tell if a player will make it after 4 years.

Further, the fact that there are multiple guys on that list with 5 years in them, let alone Pears on 8, suggests the club isn't about to slash and burn the 3-year-olds for the sake of it.

That's my reading of the situation - Though it highlight that players like Dalgleish/Browne/Aylett/Kavanagh/O'Brien have to improve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 father/sons?
(going off ages listed in the James Hird Academy newsletter update)

Jake Long (eligible 2014)

Tom Wallis (eligible 2015)
Jett Bewick (eligible 2015)

Harvey Daniher (eligible 2016)
Matthew Neagle (eligible 2016)

My mistake - was under the impression three were eligible.

Didn't Richmond pick up someone Brisbane wanted to re-rookie a year or so ago? The depths they'll sink to to recycle a player...

The club and player X agree that the player will drop to the rookie list. Player X disagrees, contacts his Manager, fish for offers and then player X asks to be delisted. Switch from primary list to rookie list only happens with player consent - hence why the player slips through to the rookie draft.

Second game played on Hanneberry. Totally outclassed and was moved away in the second quarter.

Ok I've had a look at the AFL site draft player descriptions and highlights. I now know everything I need to know and can conclude all players are walking highlight reels and will be absolute steals for us at 17 and 20.

A bumper draft for sure. In fact it's so good we should piss Ambrose off and get one of these guys with a later pick. They just don't make mistakes.

That's my reading of the situation - Though it highlight that players like Dalgleish/Browne/Aylett/Kavanagh/O'Brien have to improve.
I've said the following before and i don't seem to get much traction with it... but why do people expect that new players are still going to be able to break into the team even though the team as a whole has moved from the bottom 8 to a top four contender? Back when heppell broke into the best 22 there were players such as Lonergan, Reimers, Slattery and Neagle all getting games. It is a very different kettle of fish when players the calibre of Howlett, Hocking and Dempsey are identified as those most at risk! Sure you get freaks like Zach and JD waltzing in, but that is not going to be the case for the vast majority. The kids need to be assessed on what they show at a VFL level, not assessed on their success with breaking into the AFL side.

I've said the following before and i don't seem to get much traction with it... but why do people expect that new players are still going to be able to break into the team even though the team as a whole has moved from the bottom 8 to a top four contender? Back when heppell broke into the best 22 there were players such as Lonergan, Reimers, Slattery and Neagle all getting games. It is a very different kettle of fish when players the calibre of Howlett, Hocking and Dempsey are identified as those most at risk! Sure you get freaks like Zach and JD waltzing in, but that is not going to be the case for the vast majority. The kids need to be assessed on what they show at a VFL level, not assessed on their success with breaking into the AFL side.

When 2nd - 4th year players are being overlooked in favour of 1st year players that is why we are left wondering.

I was more meaning Fantasia and (essentially a first year player in) Gleeson ahead of the guys mentioned.
Fantasia got played for a couple of games to fill a perceived need, much like Kav did the year before. It means nothing about his chances of game time this coming year. Gleeson came in for a player out on an extended absence and held up the position reasonably well. Just because he did enough to keep getting games didn't mean he came back in automatically later on the in the year. If Howlett or Myers had been injured around the time that Aylett really hit form then Aylett could well have ended up with a similar count to Gleeson for the year... I might be stretching the concept a little, but my point is that timing and filling needs, dictates who gets promoted more than any other factor.
In short i keep an open mind about concept that Gleeson is going to be a star while the likes of Aylett warranted demotion.

Thoughts on Touk Miller and Reece McKenzie?
Miller I like, probably a late 2nd round pick. McKenzie I don't like, has no flexibility about where he can play.

I was more meaning Fantasia and (essentially a first year player in) Gleeson ahead of the guys mentioned.
Fantasia got the same late-season three-game stint the older youth did in previous seasons. Gleeson earned his position early in the season, and perhaps shouldn't have come straight back in for last couple, but that was a whole two games. It just so happens that there are certain positions where it's easier for a youngster to crack the team, particular if they're tall and/or quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back