Who gets the Choco treatment this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Once again it's a joke, taking the piss of a mate. Happens all the time at clubs. Dimma has openly taken the piss out of Rance for his Rance moments, took the piss out of Jack after Jacks foot in mouth comments about the game plan. Seriously you need to relax a little.

Taking the piss on this board is a art form now :p

I take it the news that Hampson is being taken under Choco's wing hasn't gone down well with some? :D

For better or worse, the bloke is on our list for another year. No point slagging him off relentlessly.

For the record, his last game of the year in the VFL was very promising. The best I've seen from him in a Tiger jumper. Took a couple of huge contested marks, kicked a goal and did a few nice things. Was up against Minson in the ruck that day and did well in ruck contests too.

Not convinced by him even remotely but given what happened last year off the field, he's still a chance.

I take it the news that Hampson is being taken under Choco's wing hasn't gone down well with some? :D
Well Choco was brought in to develop the kids..... It'll be like watching the movie Elf with Will ferrell.
For better or worse, the bloke is on our list for another year. No point slagging him off relentlessly.
another 2 years.... not saying you,,, but there is no point pumping his tyres up again to watch him unable to live up to expectations again.
For the record, his last game of the year in the VFL was very promising. The best I've seen from him in a Tiger jumper. Took a couple of huge contested marks, kicked a goal and did a few nice things. Was up against Minson in the ruck that day and did well in ruck contests too.

I was at the game and it was a good "Hammer" performance.... I remember shaking my head a couple of times a qtr.... not the usual half dozen.
Not convinced by him even remotely but given what happened last year off the field, he's still a chance.

Lets hope Maric stays fit.

It's amazing despite the obvious dislike of Hampson from teammates, 25 of them have jumped in to help him raise money during Movember, including the one highlighted earlier as bagging him.

It's amazing despite the obvious dislike of Hampson from teammates, 25 of them have jumped in to help him raise money during Movember, including the one highlighted earlier as bagging him.

Where in this thread does anyone say they dislike Hamspon??? are you making thinks up again?

Taking the piss on this board is a art form now :p
No longer allowed it would seem. I took the piss last night and it disappeared.

Where in this thread does anyone say they dislike Hamspon??? are you making thinks up again?
Hampson is the worst trade in our history.
Hampson can't mark or kick.
No point pumping up Hampsons tyres to watch him fail again.
Shaking my head only a couple of times a quarter rather than the usual half a dozen.
Implying that the players weren't having a joke about Hampson but were showing their hatred of him by airing stuff on national TV.

Fair to say they are all examples of Hampson being disliked. Then again maybe you're just taking the piss and all of us have missed the joke.

No longer allowed it would seem. I took the piss last night and it disappeared.

Hampson is the worst trade in our history.
Hampson can't mark or kick.
No point pumping up Hampsons tyres to watch him fail again.
Shaking my head only a couple of times a quarter rather than the usual half a dozen.
Implying that the players weren't having a joke about Hampson but were showing their hatred of him by airing stuff on national TV.

Fair to say they are all examples of Hampson being disliked. Then again maybe you're just taking the piss and all of us have missed the joke.

Because someone isn't very good at football doesn't mean I dislike him or hate... You are a weird cat.

Because someone isn't very good at football doesn't mean I dislike him or hate... You are a weird cat.
I'm not the one bagging a player for being the worst trade in our history, who will hold us back for years and basically saying he has no talent, nor am I complaining about teammates taking the piss when joking about him. But I'm the weird cat. :rolleyes::eek::oops:

I'm not the one bagging a player for being the worst trade in our history, who will hold us back for years and basically saying he has no talent, nor am I complaining about teammates taking the piss when joking about him. But I'm the weird cat. :rolleyes::eek::oops:

Why do you continually exaggerate what people say... IMO worst trade in ten years.

.. you dont see the difference about a team mate? on national TV? shortly after his dad died? Would have made Hammer feel wonderful.
And if he already knows where he is coming from he wouldn't care. Mates dig each other all the time, just look at commentary teams. It is so far from a big deal its not funny. You jumping at shadows.

Discuss and debate, just keep it friendly.
I have been keeping it friendly, yet my taking the piss photo disappeared.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do you continually exaggerate what people say... IMO worst trade in ten years.
How can you seriously think that Hampson with pick 34 in 2013 is a worse trade than Jordan McMahon for Pick 19 in 2006 that cost us Scott Selwood?
At least we have had a backup ruck with him on the list for when Maric was injured, he's also only now the same age as Ivan was when he joined us and people thought he was an average pickup for a 2nd round pick then too.
Complain about his salary all you like, but rucks always get paid more in the AFL, $250k a year for a ruckman is pretty low, even if he's only a backup.

How can you seriously think that Hampson with pick 34 in 2013 is a worse trade than Jordan McMahon for Pick 19 in 2006 that cost us Scott Selwood?
At least we have had a backup ruck with him on the list for when Maric was injured, he's also only now the same age as Ivan was when he joined us and people thought he was an average pickup for a 2nd round pick then too.
Complain about his salary all you like, but rucks always get paid more in the AFL, $250k a year for a ruckman is pretty low, even if he's only a backup.
Because it's my opinion ...and playing him as a back up helped us get to 3-10.

I think I've been pretty friendly, but ignorance just has a tendency to irritate me, that's all! :p

Sorry if you think any of my posts have crossed the line.
If you're debating something and the majority of it is about another poster, rather than their argument, then you've lost the argument. If I said something that was wrong, and I choose to stand by that argument, then that is my choice. You have the choice to accept that I hold this opinion and move on, or if it's that important to you that I change my opinion, find out what body of evidence would change my opinion.

End of the day it's the Internet, if you're taking it that seriously then it's time to get up and get some fresh air. But that's just my opinion man. ;)

If you're debating something and the majority of it is about another poster, rather than their argument, then you've lost the argument. If I said something that was wrong, and I choose to stand by that argument, then that is my choice. You have the choice to accept that I hold this opinion and move on, or if it's that important to you that I change my opinion, find out what body of evidence would change my opinion.

End of the day it's the Internet, if you're taking it that seriously then it's time to get up and get some fresh air. But that's just my opinion man. ;)

It's impossible to win an argument with somebody who doesn't want to see the reality of the situation though, so there is no body of evidence that I can show which would change the opinion.

It's tantamount to the "Creation Vs. Evolution" discussion. Evolution is an absolute, categorical, stone-cold fact of reality, backed my mountains of evidence, but if you present that evidence to somebody who has an opinion that the universe was actually created by God, most of the time they will simply ignore you, even though they are absolutely wrong in every single way! :p

I definitely don't take the internet too seriously mate, but what I do take seriously is the Richmond Football Club. And when people take big old shits on players/coaches/staff representing the Richmond Football Club, whether it's my favourite player, or my 44th favourite player, and especially when they're doing it from complete and utter ignorance to boot... well yeah, it does frustrate me a bit, I won't lie.

I guess it makes me feel like one of those scientists trying to explain evolution to a christian lol... :D

The biggest myth there is about freedom of speech is that an "opinion" cannot be disproven or shot down. If it's utter garbage, of course it can! :p

Once again though, I do feel like I am playing pretty nice, all things considered! :cool: haha

When Hampson finishes 8th in our best and fairest let me know.... also when he completes a game with out dropping a Mark or shanking a kick let me now.

I was never a McMahon fan but he was actually serviceable in his first season(8th in the best fairest)... was an elite kick... but soft as butter. Probably worth pick 56 not 19..... Hampson isnt worth a rookie spot. IMO. So yes Hampson for pick 32 was worse.

When Hampson finishes 8th in our best and fairest let me know.... also when he completes a game with out dropping a Mark or shanking a kick let me now.

I was never a McMahon fan but he was actually serviceable in his first season(8th in the best fairest)... was an elite kick... but soft as butter. Probably worth pick 56 not 19..... Hampson isnt worth a rookie spot. IMO. So yes Hampson for pick 32 was worse.

Dude it's the positional requirement that is the issue with these two trades.

J-Mac was a run of the mill half back flanker, and the type of player that we really didn't need at that stage. The 2007 draft netted us Trent Cotchin and Alex Rance, two clear cut A graders in our team. Had we retained that pick, we could have had Scott Selwood, Levi Greenwood, Andy Otten, Callan Ward, or Scott Thompson (Kangaroos) among others.

Granted, it wasn't the most successful draft in league history, but there is some quality there that we missed out on, and all because we wanted a player type that we didn't even actually need anyway. The lack of need to do it to begin with, is why the J-Mac trade is considered so awful. Still, when he was drafted, even though I didn't like the trade at ALL, I backed J-Mac in like the other 40+ players at the time.

As for Hampson, as has been explained ad-nauseam on here in the past, he was picked up due to our REQUIREMENT for ruck depth that we simply HAD to have, given the issues with Maric's groin, and Vickery being primarily ear-marked as a forward.

If we had like 3 ready-made AFL ruckman on the list, and a couple of project players as well for that position, and THEN we went out and got Hampson too, I would probably be on your side on this one, but we needed somebody, and the general rule is, you always pay more for a tall.

Did we pay a bit too much? Honestly, for what Hampson is, we probably did, and I'm not denying that. But we were caught between a rock and a hard place, and so we did the deal, and it's done.

My REAL question/issue here is... why can't the whinging and snide comments about him just stop, and as a supporter base, can't we just get behind ALL the guys who wear the jumper, and WANT them all to succeed? If he doesn't make it, so be it, that's for the club and coaches to monitor.

I guess I'll just never understand why anybody writes another human being off, and categorically says they can't or won't improve. I'm guilty of it too at times, and I have to check myself when I'm doing it... but yeah, being an armchair assassin just isn't constructive.

Dude it's the positional requirement that is the issue with these two trades.

J-Mac was a run of the mill half back flanker, and the type of player that we really didn't need at that stage. The 2007 draft netted us Trent Cotchin and Alex Rance, two clear cut A graders in our team. Had we retained that pick, we could have had Scott Selwood, Levi Greenwood, Andy Otten, Callan Ward, or Scott Thompson (Kangaroos) among others.

Granted, it wasn't the most successful draft in league history, but there is some quality there that we missed out on, and all because we wanted a player type that we didn't even actually need anyway. The lack of need to do it to begin with, is why the J-Mac trade is considered so awful. Still, when he was drafted, even though I didn't like the trade at ALL, I backed J-Mac in like the other 40+ players at the time.

As for Hampson, as has been explained ad-nauseam on here in the past, he was picked up due to our REQUIREMENT for ruck depth that we simply HAD to have, given the issues with Maric's groin, and Vickery being primarily ear-marked as a forward.

If we had like 3 ready-made AFL ruckman on the list, and a couple of project players as well for that position, and THEN we went out and got Hampson too, I would probably be on your side on this one, but we needed somebody, and the general rule is, you always pay more for a tall.

Did we pay a bit too much? Honestly, for what Hampson is, we probably did, and I'm not denying that. But we were caught between a rock and a hard place, and so we did the deal, and it's done.

My REAL question/issue here is... why can't the whinging and snide comments about him just stop, and as a supporter base, can't we just get behind ALL the guys who wear the jumper, and WANT them all to succeed? If he doesn't make it, so be it, that's for the club and coaches to monitor.

I guess I'll just never understand why anybody writes another human being off, and categorically says they can't or won't improve. I'm guilty of it too, but being an armchair assassin just isn't constructive.

Cameron Wood... free... Derickx free.... Hampson pick 32. .... McMahon 8th in the best and Fairest. I'm sorry but nothing you wrote comes close to convincing me that the McMahon trade was worse than the Hampson trade. Hampson has been tried and tested by Ratten and Malthouse in multiple positions and continually failed. I know exactly why we needed a ruck... we just got the wrong one and wasted a seconf round pick. Tuck played in the Ruck once and was better than Hampson.
We disagree... leave it at that.

Cameron Wood... free... Derickx free.... Hampson pick 32. .... McMahon 8th in the best and Fairest. I'm sorry but nothing you wrote comes close to convincing me that the McMahon trade was worse than the Hampson trade. Hampson has been tried and tested by Ratten and Malthouse in multiple positions and continually failed. I know exactly why we needed a ruck... we just got the wrong one and wasted a seconf round pick. Tuck played in the Ruck once and was better than Hampson.
We disagree... leave it at that.

So you're trying to tell me you would prefer McMahon and George Hewitt over Hampson and Scott Selwood. :$

Remove this Banner Ad

Back