Are any Crows fans worried about our ageing supporter base?

Remove this Banner Ad

My kids local club trains U/7 - U/10 on the same night.

There is consistently 3 kids that wear Port jumpers, a small sprinkling of other AFL clubs, then approx 95% crows jumpers
I'm always fascinated by the 'sprinkling'. You kinda want to tell the kid in the Saints jumper to take up tennis or something. Same goes for the Richmond fan that generally has me reaching for phone to dob in child abuse.

My kids local club trains U/7 - U/10 on the same night.

There is consistently 3 kids that wear Port jumpers, a small sprinkling of other AFL clubs, then approx 95% crows jumpers
Same with my lads U10 team this year. 23 kids, 18 in crows jumpers, 2 in Port tops, 1 Collingwood top, 1 Western Bulldogs and a Geelong top. And we're a club in the western suburbs. I'm not worried.

we have a young and exciting list, ollie wines and chad wingard for example. younger people usually look up to these type of players, s**t have you seen how many teenage girls these boys attract? it's pretty crazy really.

we have a young and exciting list, ollie wines and chad wingard for example. younger people usually look up to these type of players, s**t have you seen how many teenage girls these boys attract? it's pretty crazy really.
Well then, if youve got the teenage girl market sewn up then its all over, we might as well shut the club down.

It was 2009, I was on a holiday with my family in the Gold Coast, I saw my Uncle (a crows fan) doing his fantasy team. I was interested in the concept and out of interest I began watching games.

The first game I remember watching was the 2009 QF against Collingwood. I remember yelling at the TV, not knowing any of the players names, all I remember is feeling joy and shock in a matter of minutes. From that shattering loss my love for the game and the Adelaide Football Club began.

My involvement and passion for the club has been growing ever since. I did school assignments on Goodwin's retirement and I didn't speak for days when we lost the PF against Hawthorn a couple of years ago. At the start of this season I began reading these forums. I have read every thread, from "the good, the bad and the uglies" to the "1000 page long drafting thread". At the start of this month I finally signed up and here I am.

Good times. Safe to say I have not missed a single game since that QF against Collingwood. :)
2009 QF against Collingwood. Bullshtako free kick against Rutten. Lol
You should watch the 93 prelim against Essendon. raaaah
Welcome to the AFC. 97,98. 25 yrs of agony and ecstasy combined. You are most welcome.:thumbsu:

The interesting thing about that day, of all the kids in crows jumpers only 1 had our current white clash and there were 2 in the old white clash but all the rest were in the home jumper. Which, I was surprised about.

There was even some weirdo kid in a Roosters guernsey.

I assume by weirdo you mean absolute legend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm apparently in Ports regional "heartland" at the moment and if your around the place on training night you see far more people in Crows gear than Port. I am fairly certain that up until the move to Adelaide Oval Ports junior membership with game access cost about $30, obviously investing in the future. Its pretty hard to compete with that and even now they are under $50 in GA but at some point they will have to come and compete with the big clubs and actually make a profit so it will be interesting to see how many of those they convert into real members.

I miss the crowd of 91-99. great era.. load, proud and it was a "us against them" sorta feel
Leaving the mcg, thousands of crows fans singing we hate u cause you're a Victorian, marching down the great southern stand after rolling the doggies in the 97 prelim was a moment I'll never forget.. pure magic.

hat a coincidence. We also have a whole lot of players in their 20s.

All the younger Crows fans are in Melbourne

We all leave Adelaide at 20/21 and don't come back until we get married, or maybe never at all

sadly, I don't know if I count as a 'younger' fan anymore...

pretentious much?

there are alot of people here in Melbourne from Adelaide (and Perth, and Brisbane, and New Zealand, and elsewhere) - it's the nature of the city -

I wasn't being arrogant or pretentious, but I was saying it could be just one potential factor in the Adelaide Oval Crows' crowd being that of an older generation..

it wasn't a personal dig at anyone still in Adelaide... don't be so precious

Taking a look at recent events on facebook and twiiter of crows supporter group dinners and luncheons alls that i see are crows fans in their 50-70s. Even at the games, the lack of 18-30years involved in the supporter groups and active support worries me. I have heard robbo and the Wheatley fella on AFL 360 say the fan base of the power is so young and loud and intimidating. You go to crows games and you dont have that feel. I worry for 5-10 years down the track and lack of on field success that the crows will lose support with the older generation moving on.
How can we appeal to the 12-18 year olds? its very sad that these kids that are born in SA decide to barrack for a interstate club just cos they have won the flag.. nothing Shits me off more than hearing a moron kis say he barracks for collngwood or Hawthon or the bombers when they are born in SA. W e need these younger fans to barrack for the crows and be loud and proud!

The oldies will all be dead soon and new supporters will come along to take their place.

Consistently winning games of football is what draws new supporters into the fold. Its really that simple.

What are the stats on the demographic of our membeship base? I am not convinced its as bad as some people make out. There are people of all ages who sit around me and I get told to quieten down by young and old:D
I don't think is heavily skewed & we have older, middle & younger ages.

We have a waiting list & as the older generation depart, they will be replaced by youngsters.

The interesting thing about that day, of all the kids in crows jumpers only 1 had our current white clash and there were 2 in the old white clash but all the rest were in the home jumper. Which, I was surprised about.

There was even some weirdo kid in a Roosters guernsey.
Roosters? That was Sanders

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back