Votes: 11 3.1%
  • Lamb

Votes: 13 3.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With no idea of the what the Pies are planning:

i) Would really like Lever but if Wright is there can we afford not to pick and develop a 200+cm power forward as a Cloke replacement (or does the club have a crafty plan for an existing forward from another club...)?

ii) Laverde and Langford. Don't think we can go wrong with either.

My guess for our pick based on nothing at all...Langford

The more I think about it the more I want lever or wright.. We can always pick a mid with pick 30 .. Although laverde is enticing shoring up our talls for the future seems like the way to go..

Failing McCartin or Wright slipping through to 5.

I'm increasingly while left field starting to feel like Connor Blakely is my guy at 5. Outside of Brayshaw, Heeney and Petracca he is the best midfielder in the draft.

Blakely averaged 21 disposals, 7 clearances and 6 tackles per game through the u18 champs at an excellent disposal efficiency of 79% (all of which are in the very best few). He has also exclusively played at WAFL League level this year and had a strong 253 disposals in his 14 games.

With guys like Laverde and Langford, they're less productive, less efficient to that same extreme and they're not certain midfielders.

As a Beams replacement I'm liking Blakely and I'm seeing him as an efficient 25 disposal a game guy with time. Season one ready to play for me. At pick 5 I'm as happy as I'll be with anyone else there.

I'm increasingly while left field starting to feel like Connor Blakely is my guy at 5. Outside of Brayshaw, Heeney and Petracca he is the best midfielder in the draft.

Blakely averaged 21 disposals, 7 clearances and 6 tackles per game through the u18 champs at an excellent disposal efficiency of 79% (all of which are in the very best few). He has also exclusively played at WAFL League level this year and had a strong 253 disposals in his 14 games.

With guys like Laverde and Langford, they're less productive, less efficient to that same extreme and they're not certain midfielders.

As a Beams replacement I'm liking Blakely and I'm seeing him as an efficient 25 disposal a game guy with time. Season one ready to play for me. At pick 5 I'm as happy as I'll be with anyone else there.
Gee that seems left of field at this stage, wasn't he talked about as someone who could slip into the second round (though not to pick 30 obviously)?

I like the idea of a safe bet at pick 5 but gee I'd love someone with a bit of brilliance to their game.

Gee that seems left of field at this stage, wasn't he talked about as someone who could slip into the second round (though not to pick 30 obviously)?

I like the idea of a safe bet at pick 5 but gee I'd love someone with a bit of brilliance to their game.

Blakely a bit like Pendlebury back in 2005 is being projected mostly as a late 1st - early 2nd rounder and likely otherwise to go 15-25ish.

Flash isn't necessary. Being able to play is. And Blakely is a guy you can back in with confidence. He's a real composed guy and probably the closest thing to Pendlebury in this draft, not that anyone in this draft will be Pendlebury.

Big call Nightmare on Blakely.

My wish list is the following, at least I know one pick is certain.

In
5 Wright(203) http://www.afl.com.au/video?guid=696729
9 Moore (199) http://www.afl.com.au/video?guid=693724
30 Neal-Bullen (182) http://www.afl.com.au/video?guid=698165
48 Viojo-Rainbow (185) http://www.afl.com.au/video?guid=697219
85 Taylor (177) http://www.afl.com.au/video?guid=699088

Touk Miller who you linked a video of (85 on your wishlist) may go as high as the 20s. But that pick 85 will be used to upgrade Frost anyway.

I'd love to have
5. McCartin/Wright/Blakely
30. Gore/R.McKenzie/Bampton
48. Bampton/T.McLean/J.Glenn
Upgrade: Jack Frost

I expect Collingwood add some more outside guys than this, but these are the guys I look at and see as the best availables at each selection.

Touk Miller who you linked a video of (85 on your wishlist) may go as high as the 20s. But that pick 85 will be used to upgrade Frost anyway.

I'd love to have

I expect Collingwood add some more outside guys than this, but these are the guys I look at and see as the best availables at each selection.
Any love for Ed Langdon?

Are you the main draft guru on our board?

I'd love to have

The Jack Frost upgrade cannot happen via the draft now, as the deadline for nominations passed yesterday.
He can only be upgraded via a nominated rookie position or via LTI (both of which would only occur in March next year). Hence we either use pick 85 as a live pick, or we bring in a delisted free agent or we pass on 85 & go in with 39 senior & 5 rookies (of which 1 is upgraded as a nominated rookie).

I believe De Goey is the real smokey for pick 5.

Hine and Co. would have seen a lot of him while watching Moore at Oakleigh and while he doesn't rack up big numbers as yet to me appears the best alternative to Brayshaw if you are looking at a similar type.

His ability to push forward, kick goals and take a good grab coupled with his ability to play through the midfield would appeal to many.

Has been described as just a natural footballer, highly competitive with a touch of class and recall seeing someone comment that he may well end up being seen as one of the best of this draft in a few years time.

A bit of left field thinking here but if by some small chance we took De Goey at 5 I wonder if other Oakleigh players who we rate could come into play at our other selections.

Geelong if my memory serves me correctly did pretty well by taking a number of young men who had played together at the falcons.

We've taken a number of South Australians over the last couple of seasons who have done the same thing.

5-De Goey
9-Moore
30-D.McKenzie
48-McLean

Any love for Ed Langdon?

Are you the main draft guru on our board?

Myself and Snoop Dog are the main draft watchers.

Langdon has some ability but more a rookie pick if we were to consider him.

At this stage Langdon is not on my shortlist. Sample size of games small and others are better performed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Myself and Snoop Dog are the main draft watchers.

Langdon has some ability but more a rookie pick if we were to consider him.

At this stage Langdon is not on my shortlist. Sample size of games small and others are better performed.
Thoughts on Lachie Weller? I know you said that you were a fan of Blakely because he has good skills and Weller is in the same boat.
Wouldn't be as left field but still not expected to be around top 5.

I'd love to have

Hello Nightmare,

Yes, the heading is Touk Miller but when you press play it should show Shannon Taylor high lights.

I believe De Goey is the real smokey for pick 5.

Hine and Co. would have seen a lot of him while watching Moore at Oakleigh and while he doesn't rack up big numbers as yet to me appears the best alternative to Brayshaw if you are looking at a similar type.

His ability to push forward, kick goals and take a good grab coupled with his ability to play through the midfield would appeal to many.

Has been described as just a natural footballer, highly competitive with a touch of class and recall seeing someone comment that he may well end up being seen as one of the best of this draft in a few years time.

A bit of left field thinking here but if by some small chance we took De Goey at 5 I wonder if other Oakleigh players who we rate could come into play at our other selections.

Geelong if my memory serves me correctly did pretty well by taking a number of young men who had played together at the falcons.

We've taken a number of South Australians over the last couple of seasons who have done the same thing.

5-De Goey
9-Moore
30-D.McKenzie
48-McLean

Left field? Yes. Will it happen? No.

Oakleigh have a strong program, but it would be amateur hour to do something like that.

Think of it this way your in charge of hiring graduates for an organization that turns over $80 million annually. One of the best uni graduates in Australia is automatically assigned to your organization so are you going to recruit 3 others from his graduating class simply because you've kept an eye on this one individual? Or are you going to recruit the best candidates for that position regardless of where they graduated from?

FWIW the program producing the best footballers at the moment for mine is SA's. If we were to specifically target individuals from one area that would be the one. It could result in a draft like below:

5: Durdin
9: Moore
30: Gore/ Neale-Bullen
48: Wigg

However I'd be extremely disappointed if we went down that path...

It's good to have another member on the bandwagon :thumbsu:

His numbers are as competitive as any WA midfielders over the past 5 years, he almost single handedly carried their midfield through the champs and he has the cleanest hands on the pick up and gather going around.

The only reasons I can come up with that he isn't regarded a top 10 lock is that he isn't as flashy as some, he lacks a bit of positional scope and that he's from WA who are a bit stinky ATM at underage level. I look at him and think there's Jack Redden or Rory Sloane not a top level star, but a very solid 20-25 ppg mid.

De Goey or Blakely I'm starting to like.

Thoughts on Lachie Weller? I know you said that you were a fan of Blakely because he has good skills and Weller is in the same boat.
Wouldn't be as left field but still not expected to be around top 5.

Weller is good but more outside than Blakely.

Think of Weller as a poor man's Aish for a recent comparison. Weller is quick, skilled and versatile. Definitely a guy we can use but not quite my best available at 5 with others for me having a higher ceiling.

Hello Nightmare,

Yes, the heading is Touk Miller but when you press play it should show Shannon Taylor high lights.

Shannon Taylor hasn't impressed me in the VFL. Exceptionally quick but hasn't developed since his underage year way back when.

If we're going after a small forward Toby McLean is much better and should be available late/rookie. Aidan Anderson is another better option as a forward.

Pick 5 you don't want an accumulator of stats. Thats what Blakely appears to be, hence the suggested draft range of 15-25 amongst the experts for him.

Hine will take a guy he rates best in a few years time. Not a kid who can come in and play now. Hence, we've been linked to Laverde, Langford, De Goey, Wright and Lever. All have a massive scope for improvement and far from a finished product to play right away and impact. I expect our pick to come from these guys. Don't discount Lever.

We can always pick up a decent accumulator at pick 30, given the numbers of kids projected to go in that draft range by the experts.

It's good to have another member on the bandwagon :thumbsu:

His numbers are as competitive as any WA midfielders over the past 5 years, he almost single handedly carried their midfield through the champs and he has the cleanest hands on the pick up and gather going around.

The only reasons I can come up with that he isn't regarded a top 10 lock is that he isn't as flashy as some, he lacks a bit of positional scope and that he's from WA who are a bit stinky ATM at underage level. I look at him and think there's Jack Redden or Rory Sloane not a top level star, but a very solid 20-25 ppg mid.

Those are roughly the sorts of names to think of re. Blakely. James Kelly, Joel Corey. Redden and Sloane as you mentioned same story. Blakely can be in that conversation of midfielder which without a standout at 5 is a safe and strong way to go in our situation with Blakely for me the more sure thing and sure to be exceptionally good guy who will be available.

He isn't a giant or someone who is so flashy but he just keeps his feet, does everything inside you want (contested ball winning, winning clearances, tackling) but then his ball use is clean and efficient. He's not a heavy scoreboard impact guy, moves well but isn't a linebreaker and perhaps could become more dominant overhead to become more of a threat forward of centre, but few are perfect and Blakely I'm pretty happy with who he is.

you have to laugh when media make a podcast and mention kids names that fans start to like them at our pick.
I should make a podcast and tell everyone who's going to win the AAMI Victoria Derby and pick names :)

Pick 5 you don't want an accumulator of stats. Thats what Blakely appears to be, hence the suggested draft range of 15-25 amongst the experts for him.

Hine will take a guy he rates best in a few years time. Not a kid who can come in and play now. Hence, we've been linked to Laverde, Langford, De Goey, Wright and Lever. All have a massive scope for improvement and far from a finished product to play right away and impact. I expect our pick to come from these guys. Don't discount Lever.

We can always pick up a decent accumulator at pick 30, given the numbers of kids projected to go in that draft range by the experts.

Accumulators time and time again get wrongly evaluated.

That perception followed Sloane, Parker, Rockliff. Even Beams was considered an accumulator when drafted.

Blakely does all the things good inside players need to do - wins the contested ball, tackle numbers excellent, clearance numbers excellent, has played senior state league footy and performed to a strong standard and is an exceptionally efficient ball user.

Blakely's ceiling is not at all limited. He will just continue to improve as he doesn't have any major limitations to his game that will prevent his game from continuing to progress.

Guys like Laverde, Langford and De Goey are guys you'd like to see become midfielders. But they're not midfielders and may not become midfielders. They're just aspiration/speculative potential midfielders. Many of them have some dominant traits which makes them intriguing but Blakely does more things well and more things to a high level which is the difference there and as a midfielder there is just more performance and less holes to his game than with the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back