Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of short memories on this board. The response to getting out of woods, after having the boots stuck into us for five long years as the laughing stock of the competition, has in some cases to do the exact the same thing to teams now in the same position. It seems a lot of AFL fans can't be content unless there is a club in the "must be booted from the comp ASAP" category.

In fairness, if struggling Victorian clubs such as Melbourne, North and the Scray had to labour under the SANFL-imposed lunacy we'd endured since 1996-7 they'd have floated down the Ganges years ago.

In fairness, if struggling Victorian clubs such as Melbourne, North and the Scray had to labour under the SANFL-imposed lunacy we'd endured since 1996-7 they'd have floated down the Ganges years ago.

Yep. I don't have any sympathy for Melbourne purely because of the lack of outcry when we were at our lowest. When we get smashed by 100+ points, it's a token "What do Port Adelaide stand for?" in a five minute grab during the entire season. When the only sponsors we can attact is MyATM and Soaring Securities, people just point and laugh. When we have to put tarps on the seats, we get an equally s**t draw the next year. On the field, the AFL removes priority picks the very year that we qualify for one, on top of compromising the draft pool when we finish 16th and 14th after losing to Gold Coast and GWS in consecutive years. There was no inquiry as to why we were performing so badly.

What do Melbourne get? Wall to wall coverage about how they can rectify the situation, the clamoring of the media to get Roos to coach them, how awesome it is they are getting beaten by 30 points instead of 90 playing shithouse football under Roos, McGuire telling people that everyone should chip in and help Melbourne out with sponsorship after they had to get rid of EnergyWatch and the AFL trying to sell the public a s**t sandwich by implying that 5 games involving Melbourne are must watch events.

I don't laugh at Melbourne because they are s**t. I laugh at Melbourne because they are given all the leg ups in the world and they are still ******* s**t.

Yep. I don't have any sympathy for Melbourne purely because of the lack of outcry when we were at our lowest. When we get smashed by 100+ points, it's a token "What do Port Adelaide stand for?" in a five minute grab during the entire season. When the only sponsors we can attact is MyATM and Soaring Securities, people just point and laugh. When we have to put tarps on the seats, we get an equally s**t draw the next year. On the field, the AFL removes priority picks the very year that we qualify for one, on top of compromising the draft pool when we finish 16th and 14th after losing to Gold Coast and GWS in consecutive years. There was no inquiry as to why we were performing so badly.

What do Melbourne get? Wall to wall coverage about how they can rectify the situation, the clamoring of the media to get Roos to coach them, how awesome it is they are getting beaten by 30 points instead of 90 playing shithouse football under Roos, McGuire telling people that everyone should chip in and help Melbourne out with sponsorship after they had to get rid of EnergyWatch and the AFL trying to sell the public a s**t sandwich by implying that 5 games involving Melbourne are must watch events.

I don't laugh at Melbourne because they are s**t. I laugh at Melbourne because they are given all the leg ups in the world and they are still ******* s**t.
Nailed it.

Not only does Geelong's new 2015 gear look terrible:
AFFFCA2F-D822-D654-B273AB0746BC805C2015runoutteefront.png
B0011493-E64B-DF7D-7AD9A5FE01DEA67F2015runoutteeback.png

And not only does it introduce a colour never associated with them in the first place,
AAF2FF36-C1E0-6A5F-F13349D4EBEB049E2015adultmediapolofront.png
18FE5334-A976-107D-2C9155CBFBC327DD2015playerspolo.png

They also have the same ******* design as us, (that we don't sell anymore):
E7654F0E-ABC3-3E5D-43307F1C71DC185E2015baseballfrontr.png

And not only does it introduce a colour never associated with them in the first place,

Since when is gold one of their colours?

Since they've seen the writing on the wall and know they are going to fall down the ladder, but are desperate for their fans to remember the halcyon days when they were the kings of the competition.

I don't know, but doesn't "GC" stand for Gold Coast. ;)

GC = Gold Coast

Unbrilliant methinks.
Perhaps a sign their marketing department labours with innovation, AFC-fashion, due to complacent inevitability of the Ford major sponsorship.

Further comparison with the Crows: Momentum Energy and the Geelong Advertiser are minor sponsors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the field, the AFL removes priority picks the very year that we qualify for one, on top of compromising the draft pool when we finish 16th and 14th after losing to Gold Coast and GWS in consecutive years. There was no inquiry as to why we were performing so badly.

Here is part of the reason why priority draft picks were removed, and why I hate Collingwood so much. The article states that it was genius, I say they were cheats.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ts-way-to-a-flag/story-fncqi979-1226440468746

A lot of short memories on this board. The response to getting out of woods, after having the boots stuck into us for five long years as the laughing stock of the competition, has in some cases to do the exact the same thing to teams now in the same position. It seems a lot of AFL fans can't be content unless there is a club in the "must be booted from the comp ASAP" category.

I may have a short memory...but I do recall joking about Melbourne's culture for a couple of decades now. It is not new

From our perspective, it's a bit confusing that you guys talk about us the way you do ....
I know you've had about 20 replies now directly or indirectly but yeah a few of us have probably forgotten a few dark years recently. Serial humiliations. A win of any kind not treated as an accomplishment but rather a failure of whoever you beat. The inability/unwillingness to follow the media dissection of the your game in the week after a round finishes because why would you? The only thing I have to say about that is if we looked for posts from your board about us in 2011/12 especially I doubt they'd have been too supportive of us (in general).
...... Considering you were exactly where we are just two years ago ......
That's a bit more contentious. The huge difference between us is our drafting/trading perversely got better as we slid, plus we kept almost everyone we wanted to. We only lost Chaplin and Pearce and we were able to seamlessly replace them. We built up a good list in adversity and once we added a good coach we went bang, playing finals in his first year. You added a great coach and barely moved on the ladder, and your list still keeps crumbling.
... you'd think ignorant statements like questioning the development program at Melbourne because Luke Tapscott is crap and couldn't make it under Neeld wouldn't be said ....
That just happens when you're poor. As others have said it was said about us. O'Shea and Pittard were my personal poster boys for talented players whose careers we were busily destroying only a few years ago. But for many the Jack Watts story is emblematic of Melbourne's special curse in this area. For me seeing him become a dangerous player would be a serious marker of your club's recovery. Jimmy Toumpas as a 1st 22 player would help too, I knew him as a U12 and as a young boy he won games off his own boot in a poor team.
... Anyway, we were leading in the last quarter twice against you guys ....
Please stop doing that. You've been a bit of a bogey side against us since we entered the AFL. Not like North Melbourne but still often doing unreasonably well against us even if not converting that into wins.

GC = Gold Coast

Unbrilliant methinks.
Perhaps a sign their marketing department labours with innovation, AFC-fashion, due to complacent inevitability of the Ford major sponsorship.

Further comparison with the Crows: Momentum Energy and the Geelong Advertiser are minor sponsors.

There was apparently a big issue a couple of years back which caused Geelong having to officially rebrand themselves to be referred to as 'Geelong Cats' as opposed to just 'Geelong'. Can't remember off the top of my head but will look it up.

And I was embarrassed to wear our training tee with the giant E.A. logo.
That's... Ummmm.. Campaignistic

There was apparently a big issue a couple of years back which caused Geelong having to officially rebrand themselves to be referred to as 'Geelong Cats' as opposed to just 'Geelong'. Can't remember off the top of my head but will look it up.

I don't think that turned out to be true- I had a look because I was under the impression some soccer outfit had registered the Geelong FC trademark, and while that story did the rounds the whole 'Geelong Cats' thing is marketing schtick, nothing else.

Man... this stuff is HORRENDOUS! lol

They've also changed they're logo to a little pussycat... lol... some people got waaaaay too much time on their hands coming up with this shite.

Don't they know that blue and brown/gold NEVER go together... lol

Nah it was marketing they didnt have to do it. In late 2008 and 2009 GFC = Global Financial Crisis so when people wanted to do a Google search and put in GFC - the Cats didnt get a look in until abouth the 5th search page. Im pretty sure they changed thier web site URL from gfc.com.au to geelongcats.com.au . GFC had a bad connetation for about 18 months and Geelong decided to distance themselves from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back