List Mgmt. AFC - 2014 Drafting and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't kept up much with the delisted free agents this year, but if we do go for one, I hope it's one with some kind of standout trait but who hasn't put it all together, rather than a "solid jack of all trades but not quite good enough" player.

I'd love to see us just target someone with elite pace, or elite kicking skills, and back ourselves in to bring the rest of his game up to scratch. Considering we'd get them basically for free, we may as well go for broke.

Completely agree

Strong and aggressive at the contest, good left foot on him and has suffered from injuries and being at a club with a poor player development record

Exactly the type of player we should be targeting, talented youngster, cost nothing and you could argue that a new environment could be the trigger to fulfil the potential

Definitely worth the risk Imo

Mitch Robinson is the type of player we should avoid, risk not worth the return, as his best is only average.

Tapscott is exactly the type of player we should gamble on; minimal risk with a potentially high reward.

Bad habits in a footy sense are easily corrected

It's not just bad habits though, it's all the other things that come along with a failure to be adequately developed, like fitness, strength and conditioning, even mental development.

Need I remind you of how well JON went with the Eagles, and Tambling with us?

If we were to pick up one of these delisted players, as free agents can we just sign them at any time or do we have to pick them up in one of the drafts?

It's not just bad habits though, it's all the other things that come along with a failure to be adequately developed, like fitness, strength and conditioning, even mental development.

Need I remind you of how well JON went with the Eagles, and Tambling with us?

each of these situations need to be evaluated on its own merits

with every Tambling story there is also a success story of a player making the most at his 2nd club

Mitch Robinson is the type of player we should avoid, risk not worth the return, as his best is only average.

Tapscott is exactly the type of player we should gamble on; minimal risk with a potentially high reward.
Not sure if you guys have seen Tapscott play much but whenever I've watched him play, he doesn't really have high upside to me. He's got a booming kick but it's inconsistent and he makes some terrible clangers (poor decision making). Not really an inside player, not quick enough to be an outside runner and skills/decision making aren't great. I don't rate him at all to be honest.

Bit misleading
There are a lot more failures than success though

Your probably right however I suppose my point was that not every situation is a Tambling result and there are plenty of player success stories who were written off and made good at a 2nd club

Your probably right however I suppose my point was that not every situation is a Tambling result and there are plenty of player success stories who were written off and made good at a 2nd club

Probably no DVD footage involved.

Could potentially be a replacement for another ex demon picked up at almost the identical draft pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tambling and JON were good examples because they were both first round draft picks who went to a club that was, at the time, pretty bad and totally bereft of development staff. I recall their lack of any full time development staff during that era was identified as a key failing by the club.

Throw Adam Pattison and Danny Meyer onto the list too, both first round picks to Richmond along with Tambling (and Deledio) in 2004, failed to develop, and despite moving on to new clubs never overcame the initial failings of Richmond.

Even Deledio has never reached the heights he should have, though he should be commended on his self determination and self reliance for reaching 200 games of any quality given the circumstances.

Written off ??

Ted richards was traded for a first round pick

Well, you're probably right, but I don't think it's bad to include Richards in the discussions. Sheedy had written him off and he was traded for pick 19 in the Hay year, when first and second round picks for battlers was a lot more common than today.

Written off ??

Ted richards was traded for a first round pick

Was he? I'd thought that might be considered overs!
He became a much better player at the Swan, than the level of potential (certainly not future AA) he showed while at Essendon, though I'm probably wrong.

Not sure if you guys have seen Tapscott play much but whenever I've watched him play, he doesn't really have high upside to me. He's got a booming kick but it's inconsistent and he makes some terrible clangers (poor decision making). Not really an inside player, not quick enough to be an outside runner and skills/decision making aren't great. I don't rate him at all to be honest.
I don't like ragging on every fringe player because sometimes they can turn things around in a new environment, different coaches, physical maturity etc.

Having said that, Tapscott is a complete plodder. He's turtle slow with Shaw-like disposal and gives away more careless free kicks than Scott Thompson. I don't know where people see an area of upside???

I'd be interested in seeing that quote

Pretty sure I remember the quote but it was more in the context that Teddy wasn't going to get games in front of Fletcher etc, he had only played 30 games in five or so years for the Bombers. So his career wasn't going to be at Essendon. Not so much in the sense of if he wasn't traded that year he was out on his arse but it is Sheedy so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back