Are any Crows fans worried about our ageing supporter base?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd love to see some figures.

Any time I go to a game in Melbourne there are noticeably more kids/families than our games. The space at the G makes it easier for a group of friends, footy team mates, families etc to go to the footy on a whim when they feel like it and be able to sit with each other.

If casual observation at games is to be believed, we do have a lot of Baby Boomer supporters.

Shouldn't the kids of these supporters also be Crows fans, or did we skip a generation somewhere along the line?

Something about our club or our marketing, over the years, has not been able to make us a "sexy" team to support. We're certainly not unsexy, but we're a long way off what we should be.

We've very rarely been the cool kid of the AFL. At times, the smart kid, perhaps. The kid who gets reasonable grades and the teachers like. The middle of the road kid.

But never the cool kid.

Our history has been riddled with dorky, spectacle-clad, PC platitude-spinning soft-utensil administrators. That's basically what a lot of it comes down to.

Blight was one of the cool kids. And didn't it show.

Why does it matter who supports the AFC? Any age and colour any creed.

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

When we no longer have waiting lists I'll come back to you ...

:rolleyes: This s**t again

1. When we're playing well we have a ******* awesome crowd, when we're playing s**t it gets a bit meh.

When Port are playing well they have a ******* awesome crowd, when they're playing s**t they have ******* tarps.

2. Shouldn't Port EST 1400BC have tons of old fans? The thing is that they do, old fans who were used to dominating the SANFL and winning a flag every few years. Have they just all ****** off now that they have to deal with being mostly s**t?

It's a very interesting game you mention. I remember looking around that Thursday Night and remarking at how young the crowd was that evening. I assume a lot of older members gave their tickets to their kids/grandchildren. It was an amazing game with an amazing atmosphere.

To answer your question whether i'm worried about our older supporter base? No because hopefully they will stop buying tickets in the next 5-10 years and we can replace them with more eager and engaged Crow members. #NewMurder

Maybe older people actually have the time to go to these events?

That's a super valid point

Even when there are only 5-6 Crows games in Melbourne a season, I've still yet to manage to get to every Vic game in a single season...
(only got to Geelong / Western Bulldogs / Carlton / Collingwood this season.....)

Gigs / work / Parties and other things like to pop up pretty often...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This board's obsession with demonising drug abuse, state welfare receiptients and those incarcerated by the industrial prison systems is kind of sick -

I know it's banter, but it's not particularly funny -

a modicum of wit wouldn't go astray when attempting to make fun of the Tealsters...

This board's obsession with demonising drug abuse, state welfare receiptients and those incarcerated by the industrial prison systems is kind of sick -

I know it's banter, but it's not particularly funny -

a modicum of wit wouldn't go astray when attempting to make fun of the Tealsters...
What's sick is you continually using this board, a sporting board, to push your political drivel and forcing everyone to listen to your social commentary.

It really is very droll

What's sick is you continually using this board, a sporting board, to push your political drivel and forcing everyone to listen to your social commentary.

It really is very droll

My previous post wouldn't exist if 'LOL Port Powers are druggy dole bludgers in jail' didn't occur every 2nd page...

It's not as if it's come out of nowhere -

You can put me on ignore, if you want, Peter.. You're not forced to read anything that you don't want to ...

At risk of sounding like a complete and utter prick, I think most young Crow supporters have more in their life than just football .. We don't have going out Crow Tracksuits.. And I wouldn't be caught dead holding a scarf up singing a corny INXS song. And when I go to the footy I go to watch it and not scream and shout like its life or death . If that makes me a bad supporter or an elitist prick then so be it..

( apologies to anyone who has a going out crows track suit )

My previous post wouldn't exist if 'LOL Port Powers are druggy dole bludgers in jail' didn't occur every 2nd page...

You can put me on ignore, if you want, Peter.. You're not forced to read anything that you don't want to ...
If only we could do that to all the thought police

The problem you have is that when you post something that's utterly offensive to others, then that's ok because everyone has their right to an opinion - we should be enlightened by alternative thought, as offensive as it may be.

It's interesting then when you see something that offends you - no room for debate, no room for someone that might have humour that differs from your own - nope it's an immediate order to shut it down.

See the hypocrisy?

I don't get offended, mate - I just think the constant ridicule and banter based on less fortunate socio-economic circumstances isn't particularly clever, nor very funny, and I merely seconded another poster who thought the same thing. It says a lot about a person to find humour in such things.

If you have chosen to find my posts offensive, that's your perogative, although it's a shame because I haven't targeted you individually at all nor attacked anyone directly. Nor did I resort to belittling ANZAC day for the sake of 'humour' -

- I have plenty of room for debate, you have just declined to participate (which is fine, you don't have to). I put forward my thought - Where have I shut anyone down? Please show me. My ANZAC posts admittedly were on the polemic side, but I'm done with that conversation now and you have taken it upon yourself since to take umbrage with majority of my posts....

You also seem to have made a number of direct attacks at me as a poster, rather than the content of my posts, which is rather a shame.

Again, Peter, all you need to do is click 'radiojake' on the left hand side of the screen, which brings up an option to 'ignore'

You're more than welcome to use that function

I don't get offended, mate - I just think the constant ridicule and banter based on less fortunate socio-economic circumstances isn't particularly clever, nor very funny, and I merely seconded another poster who thought the same thing. It says a lot about a person to find humour in such things.

If you have chosen to find my posts offensive, that's your perogative, although it's a shame because I haven't targeted you individually at all nor attacked anyone directly. Nor did I resort to belittling ANZAC day for the sake of 'humour' -

- I have plenty of room for debate, you have just declined to participate (which is fine, you don't have to). I put forward my thought - Where have I shut anyone down? Please show me. My ANZAC posts admittedly were on the polemic side, but I'm done with that conversation now and you have taken it upon yourself since to take umbrage with majority of my posts....

You also seem to have made a number of direct attacks at me as a poster, rather than the content of my posts, which is rather a shame.

Again, Peter, all you need to do is click 'radiojake' on the left hand side of the screen, which brings up an option to 'ignore'

You're more than welcome to use that function
So you dont report posts that offend you?

So - does anyone know someone who used to support the Crows and changed to the Power? I just don't think that happens. And acknowledging an aging base of season ticket holders, who have had their tickets for 20 years, doesn't mean there isn't a younger set of supporters out there.

We're an enormous sleeping giant in SA. Many of Ports latent supporter base has emerged over the last two years. Our will do the same once we start succeeding.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back