Richard Douglas - underrated

Remove this Banner Ad

I read somewhere that his kicking efficiency dropped by ~7% this year, after being in the mid 70's in 2013.

Hopefully it was just that groin problem restricting him.

Good to see the bull s**t about him slipping over has stopped.

Oh wait, as soon as he plays 2 or 3 bad game it will return.

Dougie is a good ordinary player who is neither overrated nor underrated.

He will always be best 22, but will never be AA or hit any other measure of elite talent.

It's ok to have these kinds of players obviously, but when your like us and have a team full of them, then you end up...well...out of the 8 more often than not.

I read somewhere that his kicking efficiency dropped by ~7% this year, after being in the mid 70's in 2013.

Hopefully it was just that groin problem restricting him.
Have no doubt was groin issues.

Hopefully fully recovered as very important part of the side.

Dougie is a good ordinary player who is neither overrated nor underrated.

He will always be best 22, but will never be AA or hit any other measure of elite talent.

It's ok to have these kinds of players obviously, but when your like us and have a team full of them, then you end up...well...out of the 8 more often than not.

Wasn't he named in the AA squad, runner up in our B&F a year ago? Obviously won the gold jacket in 2010 too, I think he's definitely a very underrated player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I acknowledge he made the AA squad once - my AA reference was to the AA team, not the squad, and was said context of elite talent.

I am a Douglas fan. I think he is good to very good generally. Rarely has a blinder or a shocker.

In one game this year Bruce McAvaney said about him something very similar to "Douglas is a third banana in many ways isn't he? He's not a bad third banana to have".

I assumed that Dangerfield and Sloane were the first two bananas. Of course there is Thompson as well tho.

I think Douglas is better than a 'good ordinary player'. He made the AA squad of 40 last year, and he can step up when the rest of the team is a little quiet. Reminds me of the type of player Geelong were full of during their premiership years, like a Joel Corey or James Kelly
This is symptomatic of how we overrate our own. Comparing Douglas to Corey.

I'm bit of a Douglas fan. Love his aggression at the man and contest but I would love to see him play a few consistently good seasons in a row.

Btw is the indiginous round strip one of the best strips we have played in. Loved it

Yeah I acknowledge he made the AA squad once - my AA reference was to the AA team, not the squad, and was said context of elite talent.

You said that "Dougie is a good ordinary player who is neither overrated nor underrated.

He will always be best 22, but will never be AA or hit any other measure of elite talent."

Making the squad of 40 is making the AA and he's already had an acknowledgment of having the ability to string together a season that can be classified as elite, so your comment was factually wrong. Once you're arguing "squad or 40, or best 22", all you are doing is arguing schematics as the difference isn't that huge between the bottom end of that team and the rest of the squad is.

I do agree that he'll never be elite or the best mid in the league, however, i disagree all he'll achieve is just being a "good-ordinary player" Douglas is in the middle ground between elite and "good-ordinary".

This is symptomatic of how we overrate our own. Comparing Douglas to Corey.

There is a difference between comparing and saying Douglas is better than Corey.

They play similarly, Corey just was closer to achieving the max output a player of that style can achieve in this league then Dougie.

So you are suggesting making the AA team is no better than making the squad? Righto

There is a difference between comparing and saying Douglas is better than Corey.

They play similarly, Corey just was closer to achieving the max output a player of that style can achieve in this league then Dougie.
They are not in the same postcode - not in ability or style

So you are suggesting making the AA team is no better than making the squad? Righto

The difference in terms of impact for making the bottom end of the squad and position 40 would be minor and not worth using it as a cutoff point.

There is no magical cliff at 22 in terms of output where it drops off massively.

The difference in terms of impact for making the bottom end of the squad and position 40 would be minor and not worth using it as a cutoff point.

There is no magical cliff at 22 in terms of output where it drops off massively.
They pick a 22 for a reason - look, I don't agree with that proposition at all, but even putting that aside, you're relying on 1 x AA squad selection in how many years / games?

He's an average player,and that's no criticism, he's made a career for himself when 1000's fail

An easy way to fix this argument - where would you rate Douglas in our current squad - who is above him?

I mean in terms of now - what they bring to a game played today (not potential etc...).

I'd put him about here:

Sloane, Rory
Dangerfield, Patrick
Walker, Taylor
Talia, Daniel
Jacobs, Sam
Smith, Brodie
Betts, Eddie
Thompson, Scott
Crouch, Brad
Douglas, Richard

Remove this Banner Ad