2008 draft how it would be today

foj1

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2005
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
essendon
Phil Davis is not a better defender than Michael Hurley.
Jack Ziebell is a better player than Rory Sloane for mine.
1. Beams
2. Rockliff
3. Hannebery
4. Naitinui
5. Sloane
6. Sidebottom
7. Trengove
8. Breust
9. Hartlett
10. Shuey
11. Davis
12. Jack Redden
13. Ziebell
14. Zaharakis
15. Hill
16. Steven Motlop
17. Rich
18. Ballantyne
19. Walters
20. Shiels
21. Broadbent
22. Vickery
23. Yarran
24. Watts
25. Hurley
26. Clarke
27. Jetta
28. Wright
29. Stanley
30. Suban
31. Schoenmakers
32. Lynch
33. Roughead
34. Bennell
35. Robinson
36. Anthony
37. Liam Jones
38. Lowden
39. Johnston
40. Lisle

I'm not gonna bother with the rookie list.

EDIT: Forgot Luke Breust derp

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Daniel wells?

Or were you talking about hill? I lost track.

If you apply the same assessment to wells as you have to hill then fair enough. If not, then the bias is clear.
Very similar - loads of talent, can have a big influence is a game or a period of a game but very inconsistent. Players like Beams and Rockcliffe are better as they don't have as many poor games as Hill or go missing as much.

strobe00

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Very similar - loads of talent, can have a big influence is a game or a period of a game but very inconsistent. Players like Beams and Rockcliffe are better as they don't have as many poor games as Hill or go missing as much.
Fair enough. For our team's structure, hill is essential. A very important point of difference in a midfield that has a lot of players that lack pace and/or class.

Wouldn't trade hill for either of those blokes. As good as they are, we need hill more.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Fair enough. For our team's structure, hill is essential. A very important point of difference in a midfield that has a lot of players that lack pace and/or class.

Wouldn't trade hill for either of those blokes. As good as they are, we need hill more.
The other 2 are not far off Fyfes level - who I rate in the top 10 mids in the AFL - Hill and Wells are a good comparison. The thing Hill does taking the tag he takes the heat off your other good mids.

I would take Fyfe over Wells. Best player over team needs IMO.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Most supporters seem happy with the player that the drafted

I'm predicting a Hartlett break out next year
I think Ziebell really made an impact late in the season as a forward that plays in the midfield. I think 80/20 split would also see him have his best year. Would also see him preserve his body a lot better.

suspect footskills

All Australian
Oct 15, 2012
Richmond
AFL Club
Collingwood
Rocky can kick goals

Not like Beamer. Beamer is in the elite category when it comes to disposal/goal ratio per game. He's right up there with Ablett as far as being a player who averages around 30 disposals/1 goal per game over the past few years.
Rocky is good, don't get me wrong. He's not in the same stratosphere as Beams though from a class perspective. More a very, very hard working, decently talented player. Tackling is ridiculously good.
Beams is at a completely different level though. I hate that the Brions have both now, plus Hanley, Aish, Redden, Rich and Mayes. Ridiculous amount of midfield, half back, half forward talent.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
as a Brisbane suporter i would still take Rockliff over Beams because he's so vital both offensively and
defensively.
Will be interesting if your mind changes at years end after watching beams more closely. If I was a betting man and they both play the same amount games next year my money would be on Beams to finish higher in your B&F.

askdotcom

All Australian
Oct 25, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Will be interesting if your mind changes at years end after watching beams more closely. If I was a betting man and they both play the same amount games next year my money would be on Beams to finish higher in your B&F.
if they both had years like this year then rocky would still win it but it will be very close next year in my opinion

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm hoping for a Watts breakout ):
To be honest so am I. I hope this kid can pull his finger out harden up and do what he needs to for the MFC. He has done the right thing by sticking around so hope he can get his s**t together.

To be honest so am I. I hope this kid can pull his finger out harden up and do what he needs to for the MFC. He has done the right thing by sticking around so hope he can get his s**t together.
It's now or never for Jack. Still only 23 so he's got a good 8 or so years left at his peak to justify going #1.

Back