Opinion Come At Me Bro....AFL ANZAC Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

The ANZAC Day game is my favourite H&A fixture and one the club handles exceptionally well - I must flag a disturbing opinion.

The event of ANZAC is bigger than us, bigger than the AFL & bigger than sport.

No one deserves a monopoly on the day - not even us.

I think the ANZAC Day Game in WA and SA should be guaranteed and rotational, Eagles fans/kids have as much right as us to honour and remember. I'd even have it on a rotational basis with the 4 WA/SA teams.

It's a marketing boom for us and we took it from nought to here, but again - it's bigger than us and if I was an Eagles fan ....I'd want to be able to share with my son/daughter/father/mother the one game that is secondary to the event.

Be the bigger club.

rodney hoo

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
The ANZAC Day game is my favourite H&A fixture and one the club handles exceptionally well - I must flag a disturbing opinion.

I think the ANZAC Day Game in WA and SA should be guaranteed and rotational, Eagles fans/kids have as much right as us to honour and remember. I'd even have it on a rotational basis with the 4 WA/SA teams.

It's a marketing boom for us and we took it from nought to here, but again - it's bigger than us and if I was an Eagles fan ....I'd want to be able to share with my son/daughter/father/mother the one game that is secondary to the event.

Be the bigger club.

Your sentiments are right but in this dog eat dog world I say f!!kem & it's ours.

Tommo

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2003
Freo is where my heart is
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FREO
The thing is that it is FFCs tribute to the ANZACs. If WCE, PAFC, or AFC want to do their own tribute, as far as I'm aware there is nothing stopping them. Even if it's an away game the WCE could easily join in with another club or hold functions during the week, which I would be surprised if they did not.

Last edited:

Oct 3, 2006
Block 345
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Glasgow Celtic, Roys FFC, NUFC,

Be the bigger club.

It's my favourite fixture too and I would hate to see it go but I totally agree that all fans should have the opportunity to remember the sacrifice. Of course you may get the cynical saying everyone has a chance to go to the memorials but the feeling of standing with 40,000 people in silence and listening to The Last Post should be experienced by all.

Just try and give the game to Richmond and the Doggies in Melbourne though and watch Eddie turn purple and explode!

Derby on Anzac Day?

I think each has it's place and it may diminish both.

The reason you have the SA teams is to reduce travel as the games should always on the day.

If all 4 clubs agreed - guaranteed fixtures for each state, it's a good thing.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
One of the reasons it's been nigh on impossible to get Sydney over here to play us is the "HMAS Sydney" Cup thingy they have to honour the memory of the people that died when that was sunk, which is nice, and their little tradition that they have started to recognise and honour those who went to fight and never came back... I have a feeling we're getting Sydney here this year just to quell the rumblings which have lately turned into a roar, regarding the fact that Sydney never come to Perth to play Freo. I would not be one iota surprised if we get another 10 years with Freo to Sydney after 2015, with maybe one reverse game somewhere between now and 2025 when the noises become too loud to ignore.

What's this got to do with ANZAC Day? Probably not much, but they have their thing (which impacts upon us), and they had 7 years prior to us joining the comp to get an ANZAC thing happening and they didn't. We do the Len Hall tribute game and preceding ceremony very well, and have done for years - if WCE fans so desperately want to be a part of it, they get up and go to a Dawn Service and then watch the tributes at the games on the tele.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We do the Len Hall tribute game and preceding ceremony very well, and have done for years - if WCE fans so desperately want to be a part of it, they get up and go to a Dawn Service and then watch the tributes at the games on the tele.

Respect & love you IP, however allow me to retort -

(i) We have done the game well - not in dispute
(ii) Port, Crows or Eages would also not do any less a good job
(iii) Should NM continue ownership of Fri Night Football as they go there first
(iv) ANZAC Day Footy is certainly not the only way to remember the day however it is a powerful one. In Vic you are a chance to get a ticket, WC fans are no show here
(v) Again - the to me is bigger than football

Yeah nah. You snooze you lose.

It's the ONLY Blockbuster schedule they let us have. W

Why should we rotate when Collingwood/Essendon don't have to.

I think they should, however Vic is for them to sort out.

I want guaranteed ANZAC (on the day) football for WA & SA through a collective rotation arrangement with Port, Crows, Eagles and us.

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Respect & love you IP, however allow me to retort -

(i) We have done the game well - not in dispute
(ii) Port, Crows or Eages would also not do any less a good job
(iii) Should NM continue ownership of Fri Night Football as they go there first
(iv) ANZAC Day Footy is certainly not the only way to remember the day however it is a powerful one. In Vic you are a chance to get a ticket, WC fans are no show here
(v) Again - the to me is bigger than football

(ii) remember how the Eagles decided to wear the State of Origin jumpers for their heritage? If there is a way to self promote and cross the line of good taste, Nesbitt will find it.
(iv) wait a few years. The ANZAC Day game may be one of our few sold games a season at the new stadium.

(ii) remember how the Eagles decided to wear the State of Origin jumpers for their heritage? If there is a way to self promote and cross the line of good taste, Nesbitt will find it.

Yep the SOO jumpers were a joke especially due to their initial disrespect of all things WA and WAFL.

However how is wanting to be part of ANZAC day beyond good taste? He might see it as a money grab however I think their fans would enjoy the experience.

While Collingwood/Essendon have a monopoly on the Victoria game, we should keep our dibs on the Len Hall fixture.

We don't have dibs on the day though - Essendon & C'Wood do...we get it when it falls conveniently.

OP seems to be suggesting that WC kids are unable to honour the ANZACs through other means? From a selfish and spiteful point of view I hope we keep it forever, it's nice to have a bit of tradition.

No the OP is suggesting it is a fantastic way of honouring the ANZAC's - not the only way.

It is the share word that we don't appear to like cos we own it - that I disagree with.

The true test of a theory is if it was the other way around, would we be going 'dammit they got there first!' or would we be saying 'They don't own it' ....me thinketh B.

Mar 26, 2012
Block 123
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, FC St. Pauli
Not sure you're going to get a lot of support in here Moo but I see where you're comming from

I can see why West Coast and their fans would want a part of the Anzac day spotlight and a chance to pay their respects.

The selfish Freo supporter in me would love to keep the game, I love that we get to play on most Anzac days that we've built up this tradition around it, but you're right, the occasion is bigger than us.

I actually can't recall too many WC fans here or IRL that have whinged about this, wasn't it just Nisbett being a flog?

Nor can I, and whilst Nisbett did get me thinking about it ...my commentary is not really due to him, but more for just doing the right thing.

Back