Rockliff v S.Hill

Who would you prefer?

• Tom Rockliff

Votes: 61 55.5%
  • Stephen Hill

Votes: 49 44.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure it has been said on big footy that Rockliff averaged the most effective possessions so your logic is out the window.

No it doesn't. An effective disposal doesn't necessarily equate to a damaging disposal, dinky sideways kicks and one two handballs are considered effective if possession is maintained.

No it doesn't. An effective disposal doesn't necessarily equate to a damaging disposal, dinky sideways kicks and one two handballs are considered effective if possession is maintained.

..and winning the ball out of a contested situation is not damaging?

It is actually the core basis of winning a game of football that you are trying to downplay. The fact Rockliff gets 40+ touches and Brisbane only kick 5-12 goals each game isn't an indictment on Rockliff, but rather his team-mates.

Whether your team would prefer Hill of Rockliff would come down to team balance, as they are both two completely different midfielders.

..and winning the ball out of a contested situation is not damaging?

It is actually the core basis of winning a game of football that you are trying to downplay. The fact Rockliff gets 40+ touches and Brisbane only kick 5-12 goals each game isn't an indictment on Rockliff, but rather his team-mates.

Whether your team would prefer Hill of Rockliff would come down to team balance, as they are both two completely different midfielders.

I didn't state otherwise, I voted Rockliff, but I was simply pointing out that effective disposal didn't shoot a hole in their argument.

Rockliff is the better more rounded player. I'm surprised this poll is so close. Hill has speed and is a longer kick than Rockliff (essentially more flashy), so perhaps that is affecting people's perspective. Rockliff is a top 10 midfielder in the comp atm, not sure Hill is in the top 20.
This poll is close because people think their club needs Stephen Hill more than Rockliff. Pretty simple and tbh we are crying out for a player like Hill.

Hill. That type of player, a line-breaking runner with elite disposal, is more difficult to find than the Rockliff type

very even thread, its interesting to find people who would rather the better player or the people who would take the rarer type of player that would compliment their side more.

who wouldnt you rather not have

very even thread, its interesting to find people who would rather the better player or the people who would take the rarer type of player that would compliment their side more.

If you wanted Rocky to romp this thread in year 10 senior English would have taught you how to word your OP correctly, instead you went with that, hmmm. Every team bar maybe one has two or three Rockliff types yet maybe 5 can say they have a player like Hill.

Fact is if Freo traded Hill for Rockliff it would be a step backwards.

If you wanted Rocky to romp this thread in year 10 senior English would have taught you how to word your OP correctly, instead you went with that, hmmm. Every team bar maybe one has two or three Rockliff types yet maybe 5 can say they have a player like Hill.

Fact is if Freo traded Hill for Rockliff it would be a step backwards.
what are you talking about mate? I was saying its extremely even results? Why so defensive?

Rockliff is a better player, more effective and more valuable. But Rockliff alongside Sammy, Langford and Hodge admittedly doesn't excite me as much as S. Hill/B. Hill and Smith running over teams and the match-up problems that would create. Ultimately you only really need a few extractors, you can never have too many players like S. Hill though.
I also think Stephen Hill's game would statistically be more impressive in a team like Hawthorn or Port Adelaide, stats can deceive. Like I said though, Rockliff is a better player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn? Hill

I Think i had a huge argument about this issue which probably caused this Poll

Now Rockliff is a better player. Hill is a more complete and talented player however. I feel his type of outside players are vastly under-rated in AFL. Your Sam Mitchells ect. get all the credit, While Daniel Wells, S Hill, I Smith's are in the end going to turn your team from a middle of the road second round drop out team into a premiership threat

Last edited:
rockys done well since Hill went pick 3 or 4 ?
Rocky had work ethic and fitness issues, Which he has put to bed in his first couple of years, Probably the kick in the ass he needed and a very lucky pick for brisbane, While Hill shot up and was taken pick 3 when it was a superstar Draft over highly rated blokes like Rich/Yarran/Hartlett and had to wear that tag when Honestly he was only building into the player he would become

Back