List Mgmt. 2014 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Not so much a speculative pick, more a longer term prospect.

The same could be said of most talls. Not many of them are ready to go out of the draft.

Apeness and Taberner both played this season and Pearce was an emergency. Think Smith would have got a game if fit. That is actually not bad considering they are young talls.

Same. Can see him being groomed to replace Johno as that half back sweeper role.

Ibbos only 26, he still has 6+ years in him and plays that role every bit as well as MJ.

Yes 26 technically, but has the shoulders of a 74 year old.

I rate Ibbo highly, he was in Al Australian form in 2013 - hope he can get himself right for 2015.

Unfortunately his shoulders may have an impact on his best asset his making! Hope not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pablo Martini has us taking Connor Blakely with our first pick.apparently Hawks are seriously looking at him. Now I'm thinking if they are seriously interested in him, so should we because they've got the best scouts judging by their recruiting. Plus he's a WA boy. I think he could be a serious gun. Anyone know much about him? And would anyone be against drafting him at 13?

Pablo Martini has us taking Connor Blakely with our first pick.apparently Hawks are seriously looking at him. Now I'm thinking if they are seriously interested in him, so should we because they've got the best scouts judging by their recruiting. Plus he's a WA boy. I think he could be a serious gun. Anyone know much about him? And would anyone be against drafting him at 13?

We could do worse. He seems a safe bet and with our horrible recent history of wasted first round draft picks it could be a good option. But I would still prefer Hugh Goddard or another KPP.

Don't know alot about him myself, but based on this write up it wouldn't be the worst choice.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-11/hes-held-his-own

In most phathom drafts, Blakely is a late first rounders to a middle second round. Below are some comments about him from others.

24. Connor Blakely (WA – Mid) Height: 186cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 03/02/1996
Recruited from: Swan Districts
Draft range: 15-40Best position/role: Midfield – on the ball.
Strengths: Inside game – Showed through the U18 Championships excellent inside ability winning the contested ball, winning the clearances, reading the ruck taps well to get first hand on it, tackling strongly and moving evasively in traffic which has allowed him substantial time and space in traffic to use the ball efficiently. He gives the second and third efforts inside. Typically Blakely is someone who hits the ball at speed which gives him in traffic a feeling in traffic of explosiveness. Season one ready – Has performed and performed strongly against men at senior WAFL league level and has coped well against the stronger bodies which suggests that he can make the transition to playing from season one at AFL level.
Evasive movement in traffic – His real athletic gift that pops out at you is his explosive ability to sidestep that he uses in traffic. With his explosive sidestep he can effectively create significant time and space for himself to dispose of the ball effectively by hand and foot which particularly when playing on the ball greatly helps his disposal efficiency. He also uses quick, small steps brilliantly and frequently in traffic to also create time and space for himself as with those smaller steps he can change direction more quickly, allowing for that creation of space.
Skillset – Blakely is an efficient user of the footy. By hand he inside the contest can work effectively as an inside extractor finding the outside runners or creating space to get a clear pass off by hand to a target in more space. By foot he will look in general play to work into space before kicking, executing his kicks to a target when he has the time and space to deliver. He has good vision finding the best the targets in best position, making good decisions and shows a willingness when he has time with ball in hand to lower his eyes and find the best targets. He also can at times use his opposite side as required. He also when tackled has the strength to release by hand to a target.
Outside game – Blakely while he played as an on-baller through the U18 Championships has relatively good outside ability for an inside player who can also outside the contest get involved in the play but also use it well. Weaknesses:
Pace – Blakely while he has an incredible ability to create space in traffic and to sidestep guys he is not a linebreaker with only average pace and a relative lack of straightline speed.
Ability forward of centre – Blakely can on occasion hit the scoreboard through the midfield but at this stage he is not someone you would put in the forward 50 as someone who is neither a natural crumbing forward or a marking forward for him to be a real threat.
Marking ability – Blakely at this stage can take uncontested marks around the ground but is not a marking threat as some other tall midfielders are. He has clean hands overhead but not strong or sticky hands. On the lead Blakely with limited straight-line speed lacks the ability to create separation. Additionally he is no threat to take 1v1 marks or pack marks, limiting his potential to play in the front half. What I expect will improve:I expect Blakely will continue to improve his inside game which is where he has real scope to develop but also at the same time add some further strings to his bow.
Who he can become?Blakely through the midfield reminds me of a poor man’s James Kelly as a similar type of midfielder. When will he be ready to play?Blakely has the ability to play as soon as season one and fit in at AFL level given his WAFL League performance.
How to best utilise him?Blakely is best utilised through the midfield on the ball.
Interpretation of his numbers:Blakely’s numbers through the U18 Championships were excellent as WA’s best midfielder. His disposal numbers were excellent. His contested ball winning, tackle and clearance numbers were all excellent, as was his disposal efficiency by position. His numbers at WAFL league level have been excellent similarly demonstrating strong disposal and tackle numbers against men suggesting he is capable of playing at AFL level from season one.

Last edited:
Pick 33: Richmond – Connor Blakely

Position: Midfielder
Height 187 cm, Weight: 81 kg, DOG: 2/3/1996
Club: Swan Districts
Projected draft range: 15-35
Plays like: Callan Ward

Winning All-Australian honours this year, Connor Blakely made a statement in game one of the National Championships, accumulating 26 disposals, seven tackles, nine clearances, 17 contested possessions and seven inside 50s. The Swan Districts product has featured heavily in senior WAFL games this year after making his debut as a 17-year-old in 2013, going onto average 20 disposals and two tackles a game this season. Blakely has been praised for his courage and has no qualms matching it with opposition much older than he is. He ticks the boxes in terms of tackling, contested possessions and clearances, and he can also push forward to make an impact. Blakely certainly hangs his hat on his inside game and his work around the stoppages, but that isn’t to undersell his ability on the outside. Blakely is quick to make good decisions by hand or foot and has shown he’s more than capable of playing in defence or up forward, adding versatility to his game.

Pick 17 - Essendon: Connor Blakely (WA, Skilled inside leaning MID)

186cm, 81kg, 2/3/96
Range: Top 25
Comparison: Blake Acres

Connor Blakely is a skilful, agile inside midfielder with a really natural read of the game. He's rather slender so doesn't win his own ball by force but seems to always be a step ahead of the football. He reads the tap well to win clearances and his positioning for ground balls is exceptional. When in possession his evasion and agility in traffic is elite with his ability to sidestep and manouvre himself around opposition players a particular highlight. Lateral movement is a real point of difference for him and allows him to create space when it's not there. On the outside he's a good kick however not incredibly penetrating. By hand he's able to distribute effectively both in space and in traffic. Defensively he's accountable and he works hard both ways and as a result is able to accumulate well. His performances throughout 2014 in the WAFL seniors have been very impressive.

While outside he's a reasonable kick inside he's prone to bombing it long blindly to the detriment of the team. He's also very slim so the physical pressure he provides isn't dangerous. His tackling is good but occasionally easily shaken off. He occasionally floats out of games.

Blakely projects as a hard working sort who could be a leader at a football club. He seems the type to get the best out of himself. With a bit of extra muscle he should be able to physically impose a little more though it likely won't ever be a strong aspect of his game. He's a bit of a poor man's Blake Acres with less natural ability but perhaps more leadership and a better work rate. It wouldn't surprise if Blakely was able to impact round one 2015 however he likely won't be a real key piece of a team until season four.

Evaluation of his prospects: Blakely projects as a safe bet. His ability to just dance and weave through congestion and create space is something that defines his game at juniors and should translate to senior football. He has the inside game to make it at AFL level while his outside game is good enough to separate him from similar inside mids. He'll make it - and don't be surprised if he becomes quite an exceptional player.

Connor Blakely
Height: 186cm
Weight: 81kg
Position: Midfielder

Looking at another one of the bigger name players and a possible first round selection, Connor Blakely is shaping up to be one of BigFooty's favourites for 2014. He seems to be getting a bit of attention around the traps, and he may well be that player tipped to go in the 15-20 range that supporters jump on. And the 'mainsteam' media seems to getting on board too, including him in early pick discussions. On paper he is everything I look for in a midfielder, but there is something that just leaves me a little cold.

Starting with the obvious, there is no denying his performances this year. Prior to the U18 Championships, Blakely cemented a spot in the Swan Districts league side and had been averaging around 18 disposals a game. Playing against men, he hasn't looked out of place at all and should remain playing at the top level for the rest of the season. For Western Australia, he missed two matches because of a hamstring strain but still made the All Australian side with an average of over 20 disposals and proved himself as one of the best clearance players. While some of the All Australian selections could be questioned, there is no questioning Blakely's spot. At times he was the only thing keeping WA in the contest, and was easily their best and most consistent player.

The best thing about his season to date, is that he has played different roles for both Swan Districts and Western Australia. At the U18 Championships, he was the #1 midfielder and was in there at nearly every centre bounce and throw up. And in that role, he used his size well to get first hands on the ball and his tackling pressure was solid in close. Whereas in the WAFL, he has played a little more on the outside and has done so quite well. He seems to have a good understanding of the game, he knows where to run and then works hard to link up once the ball does come out - even if he doesn't quite have the pace you'd ideally be after. And this outside game is worth noting, because he showed little versatility for WA. With a lack of midfield talent around him, it forced him to play the one role all Championships - something which would have been to his detriment, if he weren't for his other tape.

So all of that sounds pretty good - a tall, contested ball winning, versatile midfielder. You can see why people are talking him up as a first round pick. And I can certainly see it too. But I personally have him in the second round, and more in the 25-30 range. All things considered, it's not a major drop and indicates that I still think he could be a good player - there are just some similar players who I would take first.

Firstly, I was surprised that his disposal efficiency was as good as it was at the U18 Championships. The games I saw him play, he looked quite rushed with his disposal and didn't always give himself the chance to pick the best option. A few times, he would get the ball in his hands, put his head down to run out of congestion and then blindly kick. Instead of taking it all on himself, he could have taken the first option in giving the ball out to his teammates or at least compose himself once he was in space. From a free kick though (which he seemed to get quite a few of) he was generally pretty good with his disposal. I'll also be interested to see how his clearance game goes once he is playing against stronger opposition, I have a feeling he may be bumped off the ball a little easily with his current technique. The other area I'd like to see him improve is in going forward, particularly creating mismatches with his height. He has never really been much of a threat in the forward line, and that's where a lot of the other midfielders in this draft are improving.

I do still think he is a good player, and would happily take him mid to late second round. But, personally I would consider top 15 to be overrating him. I suppose I look at the 2013 draft, and question who I would rather between him and Blake Acres who went at pick 19. And I would take Acres. For me, he is much closer to the likes of Trent Dumont and Nick Robertson who were picked at 30 and 34 respectively. Like Dumont, he is perhaps only an average athlete but is strong in the body and has performed well at senior level in addition to dominating against his peers.

When it comes to how much I like a player, I ask myself - would I be happy if Fremantle were to draft him? And I would be very happy to pick him with our second round, but would think I could do better in the first round.

Cringed a bit when I first saw that but then actually read the phantom draft. Don't mind it. He's done a few things differently and clearly knows his stuff. Most of the players I'd rather get are gone by our pick. Tbh if Goddard, Lever and Durdin are all gone by our first rounder I think I'd rather a mid. If we reach for a tall they won't be much better than what we could've got with our second rounder. Whether Blakely is that mid remains to be seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back