Opinion North Melbourne's best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't care if Turner doesn't get a ton of the pill! As long as he is applying his tackles and putting on tons of forward pressure, he keeps his spot.
Im worried his body wont hold up from all the crash and bash...

Yeah whats your point? still currently a second stringer... also try replying without sounding like an immature teenager...

All second stringers at BEST, infers they will remain that way. Also suggesting Petrie is our only forward option is not correct.

I would normally stay away from this thread until later in the off season but as someone else said we have finally reached the point where our draft picks should be playing a full year of VFL unless they absolutely smash the door down

Here is my team with explanations for each player. I have also taken the approach of naming an "understudy" for each position as obviously not everyone will play 22 games and I expect us to have around 26 regulars (17+ games)

Backs
JMac - his first 6 weeks of 2014 were the best 6 weeks of his career and I expect him to go on with it and have a real break out year in 2015. Also think his leadership, teamwork, etc is very important and was missed after he broke his leg
Understudy: Spud

Grima - deserves first crack at this position no doubt but despite my love for Narni, I am really hoping Tippett takes this spot by the end of the year
Understudy: Tippett

Hansen - him missing the last few games showed how critical he is to our backline. Will continue to play the spare man role at times but in 2014 he improved his ability to play on an opponent and still come off for intercept marks
Understudy: Spud, Delaney

Half Backs
Wright - has finally cemented his spot with his finals performance. Together with LMac, provides a much needed dash of c*nt to our backline (especially when Spud is not playing), is a great user of the pill and is also versatile with the ability to swing forward or play a tagging job on the likes of Goddard, Johnson, etc
Understudy: Mullett

Thompson - With Hansen's return, I would like to see him return to a more traditional role. While his rebounding is great, we also missed him playing on the KPFs late in the year. He was an AA FB in 2013 and we need him to get back to that form if we want a crack at the flag in 2015

McDonald - I expect he will play a variety of positions but for now I've named him at HB because despite being a first year player, he was one of our best 1-on-1 defenders this year. Needs to work on his tank over pre-season which should hopefully see an improved disposal level next year too and he should definitely get his first goal

Centre line
Gibson - I don't understand how people can continue to write best 22's without this guy in it after the semi-final. Sure he didn't have a great game against Sydney but a) they obviously put some time into him and b) he had about 20 mates who also had sub-par games. His running is still absolutely elite and with his improved disposal/decision making in 2014 (which should continue into 2015) he is clear best 22. The fact that Levi was worshipped on here and this guy is a whipping boy says a lot about the random nature of this board
Understudy - we don't really have anyone who can play his role so hopefully he continues his great run with injury, I guess if he did miss, it would be someone like Jacobs who would come in and Basti would play more outside

Swallow - showed again in the last 6 weeks of the year that he is an elite clearance midfielder. It will be great to have our captain and arguably best player back to his best in 2015. Will go along way to replacing Levi
Understudy: Dumont, Jacobs

Dal Santo - will continue to be used in a variety of roles but we are best when he is part of the main midfield rotations. Adds a much needed touch of class to the group
Understudy: Mullett (again, not direct replacement, would require a shuffling of roles)

Half Forwards
Higgins - should come straight into the team and provide more class and outside run. Is a beautiful kick and should be aiming to get the majority of his possessions in the 50-80m range where he can be really damaging
Understudy: Adams

Waite - I only expect him to play around 15 games due a mix of injury, suspension and form but when fit/in form is clearly our second best forward now and adds a much needed element (contested marking) to our forward line. I expect he will really enjoy not being the number 1 forward for once
Understudy: Black (again, shuffle of roles)

Harvey - the little master will continue to give opposition coaches headaches and run rampant around our forward line/midfield. He is an absolute marvel and I don't think we appreciate just how rare a player he is.
Understudy: Adams, Turner

Forwards
Thomas - so critical to our forward line for so many reasons (incredibly talented small forward, chases and tackles like a maniac, etc). Love this guy
Understudy: Turner

Petrie - fair to say Drew didn't have his best year in 2014 and I'm sad to say I wouldn't be surprised if the decline continued in 2015 (perhaps this was part of the thinking behind getting Waite). Hopefully he returns to form and plays the majority of the season as our number 1 forward. I would love us to win a flag while he and Boomer are still around
Understudy: Black

Brown - gets the nod over Black at this stage because a) his form over 2014 was infinitely better, b) he gives Goldy a chop out and c) he is a really difficult match up, especially with Petrie and Waite taking the first two big guys. I expect they both (Brown and Black) will be in and out of the team and the goal will be to get 65-75 games out of the group of 4 talls.
Understudy: Black

Rucks
Goldy - really requires no explanation, he is one of the top 3 rucks in the comp. Hopefully next year he finally gets the AA gig he's deserved for so long
Understudy: Currie (god help us :p)

Cunnington - awesome break out year in 2014 but really really dropped off as Swallow improved. Needs to be able to play his early season form with the captain beside him

Wells - really important part of our midfield mix, especially in the centre square and we missed him this year. Hope he can put a horror year behind him and pick up where he left off at the end of 2013
Understudy: none, really can't be replaced like for like

Interchange
Atley - we all (coaches included) hoped he would transition into the midfield in 2014 and start using that elite pace and nice kicking up the field but it didn't happen. I think we have to persist with this in 2015 and use Atley, LMac and Mullett up the field where possible

Ziebell - hopefully we will continue to use him as a midfielder who is very dangerous when resting forward as we did late in the year. Contrary to popular belief on here, I think he is still a good inside midfielder and will never become a permanent half forward

Bastinac - very very close to losing his spot in my best 22. Really the only reason I have him in is because I know he has talent and I'm hoping Levi's departure allows him to recapture (and improve on) his 2013 form

Sub
Turner/Mullett - couldn't split them here. Both are clearly more suited to the sub role than Basti and I expect both to play many (but not all) games next year with a few appearances in this role included in that

So my final team looks like this:

B: MacMillan - Grima - Hansen
HB: Wright - Thompson - McDonald
C: Gibson - Swallow - Dal Santo
HF: Higgins - Waite - Harvey
F: Thomas - Petrie - Brown
R: Goldstein - Cunnington - Wells
Int: Atley - Ziebell - Bastinac
Sub: Mullett/Turner

Most featured depth - Black, Spud, Jacobs, Tippett, Dumont, Adams

Other depth - Wood/Daw/Garner/McKenzie/Currie/Delaney

Bring on 2015!

Last edited:
I would normally stay away from this thread until later in the off season but as someone else said! we have finally reached the point where our draft picks should be playing a full year of VFL unless they absolutely smash the door down

Here is my team with explanations for each player. I have also taken the approach of naming an "understudy" for each position as obviously not everyone will 22 games and I expect us to have 26 regulars (17+ games)

Backs
JMac - his first 6 weeks of 2014 were the best 6 weeks of his career and I expect him to go on with it and have a real break out year in 2015. Also think his leadership, teamwork, etc is very important and was missed after he broke his leg

Grima - deserves first crack at this position no doubt but despite my love for Narni, I am really hoping Tippett takes this spot by the end of the year

Hansen - him missing the last few games showed how critical he is to our backline. Will continue to play the spare man role at times but in 2014 he improved his ability to play on an opponent and still come off for intercept marks

Half Backs
Wright - has finally cemented his spot with his finals performance. Together with LMac, provides a much needed dash of c*nt to our backline (especially when Spud is not playing), is a great user of the pill and is also versatile with the ability to swing forward or play a tagging job on the likes of Goddard, Johnson, etc

Thompson - With Hansen's return, I would like to see him return to a more traditional role. While his rebounding is great, we also missed him playing on the KPFs. He was an AA FB in 2013 and we need him to get back to that form if we want a crack at the flag in 2015

McDonald - I expect he will play a variety of positions but for now I've named him at HB because despite being a first year player, he was one of our best 1on1 defenders this year. Needs to work on his tank over pre-season which should hopefully see an improved disposal level next year too and he should definitely get his first goal
Understudy - Mullett

Centre line
Gibson - I don't understand how people can continue to write best 22's without this guy in it after the semi-final. Sure he didn't have a great game against Sydney but a) they obviously put some time into him and b) he had about 20 mates who also had sub-par games. His running is still absolutely elite and with his improved disposal/decision making in 2014 (which should continue into 2015) he is clear best 22. The fact that Levi was worshipped on here and this guy is a whipping boy says a lot about the board
Understudy - we don't really have anyone who can play his role so hopefully he continues his great run with injury, I guess if he did miss, it would be someone like Jacobs who would come in and Basti would play more outside

Swallow - showed again in the last 6 weeks of the year that he is an elite clearance midfielder. It will be great to have our captain and arguably best player back to his best in 2015. Will go along way to replacing Levi

Dal Santo - will continue to be used in a variety of roles but we are best when he is part of the main midfield rotations. As a much needed touch of class to the group
Understudy: Mullett (again, not direct replacement, would require a shuffling of roles)

Half Forwards
Higgins - should come straight into the team and provide more class, outside run. Is a beautiful kick and should be aiming to get the majority of his possessions in the 50-80m range where he can be really damaging

Waite - I only expect him to play around 15 games due a mix of injury, suspension and form but when fit/in form is clearly our second best forward now and adds a much needed element (contested marking). I expect he will enjoy not being the 1st forward for once
Understudy - Black (again, shuffle of roles)

Harvey - the little master will continue to give opposition coaches headaches and run rampant around our forward line/midfield. He is an absolute marvel and I don't think we appreciate just how rare a player he is.
Understudy - Adams, Turner

Forwards
Thomas - so critical to our forward line for so many reasons (incredibly talented small forward, chases and tackles like a maniac, etc). Love this guy
Understudy - Turner

Petrie - fair to say Drew didn't have his best year in 2014 and I'm sad to say I wouldn't be surprised if the decline continued in 2015 (perhaps this was part of the thinking behind getting Waite). Hopefully he returns to form and plays the majority of the season as our number 1 forward. I would love us to win a flag while he and Boomer are still around
Understudy - Black

Brown - gets the nod over Black at this stage because a) his form over 2014 was infinitely better and b) he gives Goldy a chop out and c) he is a really difficult march up, especially with Petrie and Waite taking the first two big guys. I expect they both (Brown and Black) will be in and out of the team and the goal will be to get 65-75 games out of the group of 4 talls.
Understudy - Black

Rucks
Goldy - really requires no explanation, he is one of the top 3 rucks in the comp. Hopefully next year he finally gets the AA gig he's deserved for so long
Understudy - Currie (god help us :p)

Cunnington - awesome break out year in 2014 but really really dropped off as Swallow improved. Needs to be able to play his early season form with the captain beside him
Understudy - Dumont, Jacobs

Wells - really important part of our midfield mix, especially in the centre square and we missed him this year. Hope he can put a horror year behind him and pick up where he left off at the end of 2013
Understudy - really can't be replaced like for like

Interchange
Atley - we all (coaches included) hoped he would transition into the midfield in 2014 and start using that elite pace and nice kicking up the field but it didn't happen. I think we have to persist with this in 2015 and use Atley, LMac and Mullett up the field where possible

Ziebell - hopefully we will continue to use him as a midfielder who is very dangerous when resting forward as we did late in the year. Contrary to popular belief on here, I think he is still a good inside midfielder and will never become a permanent half forward

Bastinac - very very close to losing his spot in my best 22. Really the only reason I have him in is because I know he has talent and I'm hoping Levi's departure allows him to recapture (and improve on) his 2013 form

Sub
Turner/Mullett - couldn't split them here. Both are clearly more suited to the sub role than Basti and I expect both to play many (but not all) games next year with a few appearances in this role included in that

Bring on 2015!
Fantastic write up mate. I'm interested in terms of formations whether we go with a seven man backline.

Fantastic write up mate. I'm interested in terms of formations whether we go with a seven man backline.
Yeah, I remember this time last year I wrote all my best 22's up with a 7-man backline, 5-man forward-line setup. Now I feel like we will still use it throughout 2015 but I would expect us to go into the majority of games with a 6-6 plan and having the 7-man backline as a backup plan or a special tactic for specific games/teams

Yeah, I remember this time last year I wrote all my best 22's up with a 7-man backline, 5-man forward-line setup. Now I feel like we will still use it throughout 2015 but I would expect us to go into the majority of games with a 6-6 plan and having the 7-man backline as a backup plan or a special tactic for specific games/teams
Say what?!

I personally prefer our 5 man forward line as it opens up space which led to our high goal efficiency and allowed Hansen and Thompson to intercept.

I personally prefer our 5 man forward line as it opens up space which led to our high goal efficiency and allowed Hansen and Thompson to intercept.
It opens up space if they man up on our spare defender, but if it's spare vs spare then there are teams that can make our forward movement very difficult if they can get the spare they want (Harry Taylor at Geelong for example). But yeah, when it works well (eg Richmond 2013), I love the 7-man backline setup

Top a
I would normally stay away from this thread until later in the off season but as someone else said! we have finally reached the point where our draft picks should be playing a full year of VFL unless they absolutely smash the door down

Here is my team with explanations for each player. I have also taken the approach of naming an "understudy" for each position as obviously not everyone will 22 games and I expect us to have 26 regulars (17+ games)

Backs

Half Backs

Thompson - With Hansen's return, I would like to see him return to a more traditional role. While his rebounding is great, we also missed him playing on the KPFs. He was an AA FB in 2013 and we need him to get back to that form if we want a crack at the flag in 2015

McDonald - I expect he will play a variety of positions but for now I've named him at HB because despite being a first year player, he was one of our best 1on1 defenders this year. Needs to work on his tank over pre-season which should hopefully see an improved disposal level next year too and he should definitely get his first goal
Understudy - Mullett

Centre line
Gibson - I don't understand how people can continue to write best 22's without this guy in it after the semi-final. Sure he didn't have a great game against Sydney but a) they obviously put some time into him and b) he had about 20 mates who also had sub-par games. His running is still absolutely elite and with his improved disposal/decision making in 2014 (which should continue into 2015) he is clear best 22. The fact that Levi was worshipped on here and this guy is a whipping boy says a lot about the board

Dal Santo - will continue to be used in a variety of roles but we are best when he is part of the main midfield rotations. As a much needed touch of class to the group

Half Forwards
Higgins - should come straight into the team and provide more class, outside run. Is a beautiful kick and should be aiming to get the majority of his possessions in the 50-80m range where he can be really damaging

Waite - I only expect him to play around 15 games due a mix of injury, suspension and form but when fit/in form is clearly our second best forward now and adds a much needed element (contested marking). I expect he will enjoy not being the 1st forward for once
Understudy - Black (again, shuffle of roles)

Understudy - Adams, Turner

Forwards
Understudy - Turner

Understudy - Black

Brown - gets the nod over Black at this stage because a) his form over 2014 was infinitely better and b) he gives Goldy a chop out and c) he is a really difficult march up, especially with Petrie and Waite taking the first two big guys. I expect they both (Brown and Black) will be in and out of the team and the goal will be to get 65-75 games out of the group of 4 talls.
Understudy - Black

Rucks
Understudy - Currie (god help us :p)

Understudy - Dumont, Jacobs

Understudy - really can't be replaced like for like

Interchange

Sub

Bring on 2015!
Top analysis there mate.

Might have my points of disagreement here and there (as might others) but s**t you've put your full words where your mouth is.

In terms of your final 22 I might have my different reasons but struggle to differ at too many choices at all. Don't think I could bring myself to start Ziebell on the bench and it would hurt me like buggery to leave Spud out. Have a very positive feeling about Dumont too, but that's all it is - a feeling. AFL debuts and games racked up don't happen (or at least shouldn't happen) on feelings.

And if Black plays to capacity - and I'm prepared to give him a fair chance post-op - he's in my best 22.

Does anyone think we would be playing the 4 tall forwards? Black , petrie, Waite brown at once. It looks odd on paper...
I thought about it for a second, and then I remembered the prelim final where our forward line looked slow as hell as Sydney constantly waltzed their way out of their backline and that was only with 3 talls.

All second stringers at BEST, infers they will remain that way. Also suggesting Petrie is our only forward option is not correct.
Its not my fault that you may struggle with comprehension, but no that is not what it mean...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hello to my north melbourne brothers and sisters.long time reader first time post.this is my best 22.

Firrito-Thompson-McMillian
McDonald-Hansen-DelSanto
Wells-Ziebell-Attly
Turner-Waite-Harvey
Brown-Petrie-Thomas
Goldstine-Swallow-Cunnington

Gibson-Mullet-Higgins (Bastinaic)

EMG.Wright-Black-Grima.

Hello to my north melbourne brothers and sisters.long time reader first time post.this is my best 22.

Firrito-Thompson-McMillian
McDonald-Hansen-DelSanto
Wells-Ziebell-Attly
Turner-Waite-Harvey
Brown-Petrie-Thomas
Goldstine-Swallow-Cunnington

Gibson-Mullet-Higgins (Bastinaic)

EMG.Wright-Black-Grima.
Well done and welcome to the posting ranks roos79. Now be prepared to be lambasted. ;)

No probs Kimbo ,,I'll roll with the best of them.
Well here ya go then, no real probs with your team but, McMillian, DelSanto, Attly, Goldstine, Mullet, Bastinaic .... man the spelling Nazi's are going to have a field day with you :p

Well here ya go then, no real probs with your team but, McMillian, DelSanto, Attly, Goldstine, Mullet, Bastinaic .... man the spelling Nazi's are going to have a field day with you :p[/QUO Sorry Baz,, english not my strong point ,but my love for the Roos is hope next year we will go a few better

Sorry Baz,, english not my strong point ,but my love for the Roos is hope next year we will go a few better

Hey, no prob's I'm not a spelling Nazi (as long as you don't type his instead of he's and you know the difference between lose and loose), just like Kimbo, I'm just preparing you for what may come.

And yeah, go 'Roos in 2015 :thumbsu:

Last edited:
With these delistees named, here's my go:

FB: Mullett - Thompson - MacMillan
HB: McDonald - Grima - Hansen
C: Atley - Swallow - Dal Santo
HF: Turner - Petrie - Harvey
FF: Thomas - Waite - Brown

I: Ziebell - Gibson - Higgins

Sub: Bastinac

Remove this Banner Ad