Analysis Adams, Fasolo, Seedsman, Sinclair, Thomas, Williams

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 15, 2009
The Devil's personal coke roadie
AFL Club
Collingwood
Having a look at what went wrong last season, and what needs to go right next season, and for me the following names are worth another look.

For mine, when you look for players to be stepping up as older players wane, you look squarely at the ones who have been there 3-4 seasons and are at that critical point around 50 games. These are the guys you are counting on to step up to consistent accountable roles. Its no longer enough to be list position 20-30 for these guys, they need to be commanding higher ratings and doing the job week in week out.

All the guys I've listed were in that bracket, and for a variety of reasons, often injury related, had what for mine were poor years.

Looking to next season then, and I ask, which of these do you think can become the regular contrbutors we missed from 2014? The reason I guess I ended up focussing on these guys was a feeling that there is actually room for significant improvement in output here, injury willing, and though we focus on Reid, etc, or Freeman, or the new recruits, its actually these guys who will have the biggest impact because of where they sit in our list demographics.

If anyone needs to "******* step up", I think it's these guys front and centre, who have both the need and the capability given how long they have been in the system and their experience. If they dont, we face some problems, because out of their cohort, only Elliott looks like a definite win andd that's not enough.

Adams: Entering his 4th season at 21, with 43 games to date. In some ways comes with the most expectations. Luke Ball's spot beckons, needs to really nail it and play every game well or we will be struggling heavily in the middle.

2014 performance: 12 games 19.2 ppg.
2015 needs: Inside clearance leader.

Fasolo: Entering his 5th season at 22, and has played 52 games so far. Forward, back, nothing? Injury cruelled for two seasons, now needs a good pre season and a consistent run in one position. HFF is it for mine.

2014 performance: 12 games 15 ppg, 7 goals
2015 needs: creative forward setting up play and getting 20+ of his own.

Seedsman: Entering his 5th season at 23, has only 37 games to his name in 4 complete seasons. No longer the skinny lad, with the loss of Lumumba and the poor performance of Young at times, should be owning a running half back/wing place. Hip injury didnt help, but seemed to take a step backwards last season. Not young any more.

2014 performace: 9 games 15.6 ppg.
2015 needs: break the lines drive from defence or we will never get it out of there. Or is it Varcoe and no more Seed?

Sinclair: Entering his 6th season at 23, and has played 44 games. The once rising star has hit many roadblocks, not least persistent hamstrings last season. Forward or back? My gut says we need him back and release Marley upfield, but he needs to stay on the park first. Another who went backwards though injury made it hard to judge.

2014 performance: 5 games 14.6 ppg.
2015 needs: cement a small defender role.

J Thomas: Entering his 6th season at 23, with 32 games. Was almost most disappointed in JT of all last season. Really needed his more mature body, and apart from the GWS game was underwhelming. Will the real JT please stand up? Stats a little hard to gague as he was a sub sometimes, but did have an annoying tendency to go missing. Too experienced for excuses

2014 performance: 13 games 17.2 ppg
2015 needs: linking midfielder, with 20+ ppg consistently.

Williams: Entering his 4th season at 21. So far 37 games for Marley, with a disappointing 2014 understandably after the start he had. Needs to claw back that ground in 2015, and perhaps a change of role beckons.

2014 performance: 15 games, 17.5 ppg
2015 needs: move upfield and hurt opponents more with disposal.

So, who do you think of these could have the kind of season we need? If they do, can we get to finals?

Last edited:
Thomas and Adams both need to become regulars(Adams already is, Thomas not so much) and average over 20 disposals each.

Seedsman whether its on the back flank or wing, needs to average about 15 kicks a game.

Fasolo needs to watch Paul Chapman in his prime, and try mould his game after him as much as possible.

Williams slightly disappointed a few last season, im not sure why though, his defensive game hit another level and his disposal numbers jumped. At one point i was confident he was the best shutdown small defender when only accounting the defensive side of things.

Adams: Entering his 4th season at 21, with 43 games to date. In some ways comes with the most expectations. Luke Ball's spot beckons, needs to really nail it and play every game well or we will be struggling heavily in the middle.

Adams before he was injured was fine. He's already shown he can replace Luke Ball and his from late last year was better than Ball's as well.

Seedsman: Entering his 5th season at 23, has only 37 games to his name in 4 complete seasons. No longer the skinny lad, with the loss of Lumumba and the poor performance of Young at times, should be owning a running half back/wing place. Hip injury didnt help, but seemed to take a step backwards last season. Not young any more.

2014 performace: 9 games 15.6 ppg.
2015 needs: break the lines drive from defence or we will never get it out of there. Or is it Varcoe and no more Seed?

He didn't really have a preseason last year. Varcoe and Seedsman can play in the same side.

Sinclair: Entering his 6th season at 23, and has played 44 games. The once rising star has hit many roadblocks, not least persistent hamstrings last season. Forward or back? My gut says we need him back and release Marley upfield, but he needs to stay on the park first. Another who went backwards though injury made it hard to judge.

2014 performance: 5 games 14.6 ppg.
2015 needs: cement a small defender role.

We've seen enough of Sinclair IMO. He's a worse kick and decision maker than Williams. Is faster but isn't as agile as Williams. Has speed but when he uses it he turns the ball over. I think we are fine with Williams as the shut down small defender. Sinclair a year in the VFL and delist for mine.

J Thomas: Entering his 6th season at 23, with 32 games. Was almost most disappointed in JT of all last season. Really needed his more mature body, and apart from the GWS game was underwhelming. Will the real JT please stand up? Stats a little hard to gague as he was a sub sometimes, but did have an annoying tendency to go missing. Too experienced for excuses

2014 performance: 13 games 17.2 ppg
2015 needs: linking midfielder, with 20+ ppg consistently.

For mine Thomas didn't have enough time on the ball and went missing allot when playing as a forward. With Beams gone and Maccaffer injured he should spend more time through the middle like in the GWS game and step up.

Williams: Entering his 4th season at 21. So far 37 games for Marley, with a disappointing 2014 understandably after the start he had. Needs to claw back that ground in 2015, and perhaps a change of role beckons.

2014 performance: 15 games, 17.5 ppg
2015 needs: move upfield and hurt opponents more with disposal.

I don't think it was 2 much of a disapointing year for Williams. He shut down most of his opponents and hurt them on the rebound when he could. Williams for mine is a shut down small defender. If Thomas steps up, Greenwood continues his form and Freeman develops we don't really need him the midfield.

Adams - will be a player, just needs to gain some confidence in his disposal.
Thomas - juries out, make or break season ahead
Williams - Dour defender who needs to gain consistency, clearly our best small defender though
Seedsman - Just not that good IMO, very much same situation as Thomas, D-day type season.
Fasolo - needs to drop the ego and he'll be fine, if not, trouble.
Sinclair - needs to get his body right and then disposal. Think he can be good depth

My Predictions

Adams - Top 5 in copeland and a breakout season being top 3 in Clearances, possesions and contested possesions.

Fasolo - 35 goals as a Half forward with stints in the midfield, when i've seen him go in the middle i've been very impressed.

Seedsman - 20-23 disposal average, most running bounces and 20+ games.

Sinclair - I'm not too sure about his body but if fit I will say fighting with a couple of others for that small defender spot, around 15 games.

Thomas - VFL. As blunt as it sounds I just don't think he will make it, the only thing he can do well is rack it up and that is only 1 in 4 games in the AFL and with low efficiency.

Williams - A move from lock down defender to half back with midfield stints, 4-8 in the copeland and consistent throughout the whole year.

My Predictions

Adams - Top 5 in copeland and a breakout season being top 3 in Clearances, possesions and contested possesions.

Fasolo - 35 goals as a Half forward with stints in the midfield, when i've seen him go in the middle i've been very impressed.

Seedsman - 20-23 disposal average, most running bounces and 20+ games.

Sinclair - I'm not too sure about his body but if fit I will say fighting with a couple of others for that small defender spot, around 15 games.

Thomas - VFL. As blunt as it sounds I just don't think he will make it, the only thing he can do well is rack it up and that is only 1 in 4 games in the AFL and with low efficiency.

Williams - A move from lock down defender to half back with midfield stints, 4-8 in the copeland and consistent throughout the whole year.

Thats actually pretty high for a rebounding defender. I think it will be something more like 17-21.

I think all six players you've listed display traits of an AFL footballer and probably 3 or 4 will eventually prove to be just that.

I think Adams and Williams are the most likely to step up to a higher level that we know they're capable of.

After those two, Seedsman and Thomas show a good chunk of ability. Seedsman has run and carry and a bullet like pass that if he can harness would be perfect for rebounding off half back. Needs to work on his tank to run out games this preseason and needs to better position himself to find more of the footy. Thomas is tough, I like him. His disposal can hurt us at times and so can his tendency to fade out of games or not work into them at all. Needs to work on his consistency this year and his disposal. I certainly think both of these boys, plus the two I mentioned before them have the drive to make it at the top level along with the talent. It's just a matter of working hard and having some luck go their way.

I'm not sold on Sinclair and Fasolo. Both of them show bits and pieces. Fasolo has a very good boot and a good ability to do the freakish. But he seems lazy and non-committal which is not the trait of an AFL footballer. Needs to work on his desire to find the footy and his desire to run both ways for a full game of footy. We can't keep experimenting with him. Let him find his feet in the forward line and allow him to work into the midfield probably after a year of injury free football and a big preseason of hard fitness. Sinclair has a great running game - and for someone who runs so much and so fast, his kick isn't all that bad. Still his weak point though, so needs to work on that. Injuries have plagued him so I'm willing to forgive him but it's now or never for him. Unfortunately I get the feeling it might be too little too late, he's missed a lot of good development years. He's my wild card though, for sure.

Someone else mentioned Karnezis and Keeffe. Karnezis I see as being in a similar category as Fasolo. Seems lazy, from his Brisbane days anyway. I liked what he did at VFL level this year so if he can get his body right I'm certainly keen to see if that can translate to the big league. Keeffe is someone who is always going to be behind the 8 ball. And considering that he's done a mighty fine job and can certainly play the game. He's an odd one to peg. Seems a poor mans Reid as a backman, but if he can somehow bring up his intercept and rebounding game as well as putting a bit more penetration into his kicking he'll be odds on for a good career. I just don't see it happening, he'll turn into depth at some point, in my opinion.

Keeffe's rebounding game is good. Its his intercepting game that needs a bit more consistency. He has take some nice intercept marks just needs to do it more. As a poor mans Reid I think Reid has much more value to us as a forward which allows Keeffe to take the CHB spot. This year I though Keeffe was solid defensively but but got exposed at time when he had to take on some bigger guys. With Brown coming back I think he'll be fine next year.

Thomas and Adams both need to become regulars(Adams already is, Thomas not so much) and average over 20 disposals each.
Seedsman whether its on the back flank or wing, needs to average about 15 kicks a game.
Fasolo needs to watch Paul Chapman in his prime, and try mould his game after him as much as possible.
Williams slightly disappointed a few last season, im not sure why though, his defensive game hit another level and his disposal numbers jumped. At one point i was confident he was the best shutdown small defender when only accounting the defensive side of things.

I've always seen a lot of Aker in him to be honest, (football wise that is).
Yes he's cocky, but he's still a better bloke than Aker I reckon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People are forgetting Seedsman had a horrible year due to injury. Never had a run at last season

The thing that came home to me looking at these guys is how much all of them had injuries or absences that held them back. It made me more optimistic I guess for next season, if they can overcome those injuries, that we havent seen the best of them yet. And we need that desperately.

Keeffe's rebounding game is good. Its his intercepting game that needs a bit more consistency. He has take some nice intercept marks just needs to do it more. As a poor mans Reid I think Reid has much more value to us as a forward which allows Keeffe to take the CHB spot. This year I though Keeffe was solid defensively but but got exposed at time when he had to take on some bigger guys. With Brown coming back I think he'll be fine next year.

Keeffe is one I think who benefited from Maxy being there and able to coach him a little on field. He still needs guidance on positioning. Will be very interesting to see how he goes without the captain there.

If those 6 don't turn into good players we can forget a premiership for at least 5-6 years

Fasolo is the only one with A grade potential sadly, and with his foot don't think he'll get there

I'm expecting big years from Adams, JT & Williams - not sure about the rest.

I think Marley will have a break out year this year and mid-season the AFL/BigFooty community will be touting him as AA selection.

Keeffe is one I think who benefited from Maxy being there and able to coach him a little on field. He still needs guidance on positioning. Will be very interesting to see how he goes without the captain there.

True, but I though Keeffe's best from this year was the second half when Maxwell was injured.

If those 6 don't turn into good players we can forget a premiership for at least 5-6 years

Fasolo is the only one with A grade potential sadly, and with his foot don't think he'll get there

We still have Freeman, Broomhead, Kennedy, Grundy, Witts, Elliot, Langdon developing.

Yeah sorry, silly comment, of those 6 I only have Williams and Adams in our best side going forward, so we are really only reliant on those 2 going forward.

Fasolo and Seedsman can't get fit, and even when they have been their performances against the better teams has been poor.

Thomas and Sinclair are depth if we are to be a top 4 side, they just aren't that good.

Seedsman can't get fit? I'm not sure where you are getting that from, he was fit during 2013 and had a pretty decent year as well. This year was interrupted by pre season hip surgery which took away all his endurance, it's pretty hard to be a running half back if you cant run. With a full pre season he will be fine for next year.

All those blokes mentioned were either missing, out of form, or injured when we were 8-3 and playing our 'best' football.

Adams was adjusting to playing in front of large crowds and was quite poor, was one of our best players in the Port game despite playing with a season ending injury to his hand.

Fasolo twice had foot complications, rewatch the Kangaroos game to see what he can do when fit and unhindered.

Seedsman missed the first half the year and a preseason, was clearly unfit upon returning yet still showed glimpses.

Sinclair was looking quite good towards the end of 2013 and start of 2014 before going down with 2 hammys.

Williams was obviously hindered by the court case, still responded well for a young bloke, did a number on some of the comps best smalls.

Thomas had niggles and lost a fair bit of confidence, another player who showed a bit in those last few rounds when shouldered with responsibility.

People ask me why i'm quite optimistic about 2015 it's about potential, when we were playing our best football last year and equal 2nd on the ladder after round 11 we didn't nearly have our best team on the park, not close.
Whilst nobody can predict injuries, most if not all of the names above should get full preseasons, on top of Kennedy, Broomhead and Freeman, all of which have never put together a full preseason and they for the first time in their careers will be ready to tear it up by round 1.

And to think that when we were 4th we also had a player in his 1st full year playing on the competitions best forwards, Wittsy was holding up the ruck for the first time against the comps elite as our supposed number 1 ruck had form issues, our pick 65 from 2013 was holding together one of the youngest backlines in the comp as our vital KPD Reid and Brown weren't playing and one of the comps best key forwards (who we relied on for all of 2013) and Dane Swan were terribly out of form. 3 All Australians in that list.

People act like when we were equal 2nd we had no players injured and everything was going right, but it was almost the complete opposite, nothing was going right and we were still up there towards the top of the ladder, if like Hawthorn we had all our injuries in a bulked up portion of the year we may have survived and made the 8 but in reality you can't survive 23 rounds of the season with one of the biggest injury lists in the comp and not expect to miss the 8, especially when those injured or out of form are 3 of 4 starting key position players.

It's easy to see why people are pessimistic about 2015 but i'm with Bucks, all those names above will have massive years on top of a number of returning best 22 and new recruits, have faith in our youngsters.

All those blokes mentioned were either missing, out of form, or injured when we were 8-3 and playing our 'best' football.

Adams was adjusting to playing in front of large crowds and was quite poor, was one of our best players in the Port game despite playing with a season ending injury to his hand.

Fasolo twice had foot complications, rewatch the Kangaroos game to see what he can do when fit and unhindered.

Seedsman missed the first half the year and a preseason, was clearly unfit upon returning yet still showed glimpses.

Sinclair was looking quite good towards the end of 2013 and start of 2014 before going down with 2 hammys.

Williams was obviously hindered by the court case, still responded well for a young bloke, did a number on some of the comps best smalls.

Thomas had niggles and lost a fair bit of confidence, another player who showed a bit in those last few rounds when shouldered with responsibility.

People ask me why i'm quite optimistic about 2015 it's about potential, when we were playing our best football last year and equal 2nd on the ladder after round 11 we didn't nearly have our best team on the park, not close.
Whilst nobody can predict injuries, most if not all of the names above should get full preseasons, on top of Kennedy, Broomhead and Freeman, all of which have never put together a full preseason and they for the first time in their careers will be ready to tear it up by round 1.

And to think that when we were 4th we also had a player in his 1st full year playing on the competitions best forwards, Wittsy was holding up the ruck for the first time against the comps elite as our supposed number 1 ruck had form issues, our pick 65 from 2013 was holding together one of the youngest backlines in the comp as our vital KPD Reid and Brown weren't playing and one of the comps best key forwards (who we relied on for all of 2013) and Dane Swan were terribly out of form. 3 All Australians in that list.

People act like when we were equal 2nd we had no players injured and everything was going right, but it was almost the complete opposite, nothing was going right and we were still up there towards the top of the ladder, if like Hawthorn we had all our injuries in a bulked up portion of the year we may have survived and made the 8 but in reality you can't survive 23 rounds of the season with one of the biggest injury lists in the comp and not expect to miss the 8, especially when those injured or out of form are 3 of 4 starting key position players.

It's easy to see why people are pessimistic about 2015 but i'm with Bucks, all those names above will have massive years on top of a number of returning best 22 and new recruits, have faith in our youngsters.
Agreed Presti, too many on here eager to sink the boot in from the safety of the lounge room.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back