News Ben Newton signs with Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a query really, really fancied this guy depsite knocks on him struggling massively with a tag. Most websites reporting he will go to Melbourne as a delisted free agent.
Question is, I didn't realise he was a free agent, he was offered a deal by port and quit. Wouldn't that mean they have to draft him? Which means geelong could snake him hah.

Just a query really, really fancied this guy depsite knocks on him struggling massively with a tag. Most websites reporting he will go to Melbourne as a delisted free agent.
Question is, I didn't realise he was a free agent, he was offered a deal by port and quit. Wouldn't that mean they have to draft him? Which means geelong could snake him hah.
According to the AFL website, Melbourne is in the box seat to get him. But who knows.

Out: Christensen (23yrs, 65 games, 20 disposals & 1 goal), Hunt (24yrs, 63 games, 14 disposals & 0.3 goals), Brown (24yrs, 15 games, 10 disposals & 0.6 goals), Varcoe (26yrs, 138 games, 14 disposals & 1 goal)

Ins:
Stanley (23yrs, 58 games, 10 disposals & 0.7 goals), Clark (27yrs, 97 games, 13 disposals & 1 goal), Blease (23yrs, 33 games, 11 disposals & 0.8 goals), Newton?

I'm pretty annoyed over Hunt still being delisted. Any one who got 60+ games during our best era should be kept.

Whilst I agree that it's annoying to see someone in that age bracket with that many games of experience gone, as it's a lot of wasted development, Hunt accrued most of his games in 2012 and 2013, so I wouldn't say he was a part of Geelong's "best era". That sort of argument would apply more to Varcoe, who was a regular fixture in the side throughout the premiership years.

Whilst I agree that it's annoying to see someone in that age bracket with that many games of experience gone, as it's a lot of wasted development, Hunt accrued most of his games in 2012 and 2013, so I wouldn't say he was a part of Geelong's "best era". That sort of argument would apply more to Varcoe, who was a regular fixture in the side throughout the premiership years.
Agree with you I should have put more effort into it and worded it better. However he got 60+ games with amazing players, the Cats chose him 60 odd times over somebody else to represent with guys like Bartel and co.

Apparently even though he knocked back a contract Port still officially delisted him so that he could get to the club he wanted too
They probably had no choice because as he couldn't get a game in Ports AFL team, no other side was going to trade for him. Far cheaper to wait until after he's delisted. That's what happens (like with Hunt).

They probably had no choice because as he couldn't get a game in Ports AFL team, no other side was going to trade for him. Far cheaper to wait until after he's delisted. That's what happens (like with Hunt).
Yeah but the did something so he could get picked up as a delisted FA and not just go via the draft

They had no choice but to delist him as he refused to extend his contract. I think you're reading more into it than is there.
Nah Port have looked after him. Otherwise he would be forced into the draft or preseason draft like say Luke Ball

Port had no choice but to delist Newton, which makes him a delisted Free agent. I don't see how that's so hard for you to understand. But if you want to believe "Port was looking after him" then go ahead. Newton can be picked up as a DFA or in the PSD now. Luke Ball has nothing to do with it, as Free Agency didn't exist when he was drafted by Collingwood.
Well this will work out well whenever anyone wants to walk out on a club and get to any club they like when they aren't contracted won't it. Why didn't Bundy then just walk out and get picked up by Brisbane as a delisted free agent? We would have had no choice but to delist him as he wasn't contracted....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port had no choice but to delist Newton, which makes him a delisted Free agent. I don't see how that's so hard for you to understand. But if you want to believe "Port was looking after him" then go ahead. Newton can be picked up as a DFA or in the PSD now. Luke Ball has nothing to do with it, as Free Agency didn't exist when he was drafted by Collingwood.
Nah sorry mate you're wrong on this one. Port had the choice of delisting Newton and allowing him to become a DFA or not delisting him (offer him a contract) and if Newton decided to knock that contract back then he would be forced to enter one or both of the drafts.

It looks like even though they did offer him a contract (which he decided not to take up) they're going to look after him by delisting him, therefore allowing him to get to where he wants go.

I think the question people are asking in regards to Newton's fa status is about this part of the rule:

Primary List
Players delisted by a club are unrestricted free agents but a player who retires or delists himself is not eligible to be a free agent.

So the question is - did Newton reject a contract from Port and walk away himself, or did Port delist him? If he walked away he is not a delisted free agent and has to go into the draft, but it seems that even though he rejected a contract extension from Port, they have officially delisted him which allows him to be picked up as a delisted free agent & not go through the ND or PSD.

Nah sorry mate you're wrong on this one. Port had the choice of delisting Newton and allowing him to become a DFA or not delisting him (offer him a contract) and if Newton decided to knock that contract back then he would be forced to enter one or both of the drafts.

It looks like even though they did offer him a contract (which he decided not to take up) they're going to look after him by delisting him, therefore allowing him to get to where he wants go.

beat me to it

Which is what I've been saying

He was offered a contract and knocked it back.... they COULD have let him walk and he goes to the draft, but they still listed him as delisted (despite them wanting to retain him) which allows him to go where he chooses

A Player who:
(i) is on the Primary List of a Club; and
(ii) subject to Rule 17.1(c), is removed from the Primary List by that Club on or before the final list lodgement date in a particular year (relevant year);
will be a Free Agent in the relevant year.
(c) A Player who elects to retire or has lodged a ‘Player Request for Removal from a List’ form in the form prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 40, will not be a Free Agent under Rule 17.1(b) in the relevant year.
(d) A Player who:
(i) is a Rookie Player in a particular year (relevant year); and
(ii) subject to Rule 17.1(e), has not received an offer from his Current Club to enter into a Contract of Service for a further period of one year,
will be a Free Agent in the relevant year.

So it WAS ports choice for him to be able to go to the market as a delisted FA

Also FWIW it appears the Swans did the same with Membrey, which is good for the player. They can start with their new club earlier and works out better for them

I think the question people are asking in regards to Newton's fa status is about this part of the rule:

Primary List
Players delisted by a club are unrestricted free agents but a player who retires or delists himself is not eligible to be a free agent.

So the question is - did Newton reject a contract from Port and walk away himself, or did Port delist him? If he walked away he is not a delisted free agent and has to go into the draft, but it seems that even though he rejected a contract extension from Port, they have officially delisted him which allows him to be picked up as a delisted free agent & not go through the ND or PSD.

Ah thanks, I didn't know that. Pity willo didn't clarify it when I first questioned his comment since he claimed he knew that. But you learn something new everyday. Apologies to willo for doubting you.

Ah thanks, I didn't know that. Pity willo didn't clarify it when I first questioned his comment since he claimed he knew that. But you learn something new everyday. Apologies to willo for doubting you.

Anyone else following this great conversation with Willo, Stan and Blakey with the following image? :p

buses.jpg

A mistake you will only make once :D

I don't help the cause with my jibberish explanations that said

I don't dislike Hunt and certainly don't derive a sadistic pleasure in his departure, but that's a pretty fair summation I would say.

Out: Christensen (23yrs, 65 games, 20 disposals & 1 goal), Hunt (24yrs, 63 games, 14 disposals & 0.3 goals), Brown (24yrs, 15 games, 10 disposals & 0.6 goals), Varcoe (26yrs, 138 games, 14 disposals & 1 goal)

Ins:
Stanley (23yrs, 58 games, 10 disposals & 0.7 goals), Clark (27yrs, 97 games, 13 disposals & 1 goal), Blease (23yrs, 33 games, 11 disposals & 0.8 goals), Newton?

Demons seem in the lead now on Newton going by recent news. Not done yet though.

Just on the West thing as It seems to be popping up everywhere, I was a supporter of West and his efforts at the club so I remember the end of his time here well.
Partridge, like myself, at the time were both in the camp of not necessarily thinking Westy was the best ruck man we had on the GFC list but that as a #2 playing the #1 role he gave the best he could - and that his no selection in favour of other #2 rucks was not easily understood.

Ultimately he was moved on and that was that. It's kind of funny the club seems to be moving back that way with the questions over hmac and daws and now bringing in Clark and Stanley along with blitz and walker.

Also, if my recollections are inaccurate I'm happy to be corrected.

Go Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back