Movie Dad's Army film

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes. They're making a Dad's Army film. Cast has been announced.

Toby Jones (Mainwaring)
Bill Nighy (Wilson)
Mark Gatiss
Catherine Zeta Jones
Michael Gambon

Full cast tweet by Empire:

At first I was wondering what was happening in the world. But then I pictured Toby Jones and Bill Nighy as Mainwaring and Wilson and I absolutely want to see this film.

Yes. They're making a Dad's Army film. Cast has been announced.

Toby Jones (Mainwaring)
Bill Nighy (Wilson)
Mark Gatiss
Catherine Zeta Jones
Michael Gambon

Full cast tweet by Empire:

At first I was wondering what was happening in the world. But then I pictured Toby Jones and Bill Nighy as Mainwaring and Wilson and I absolutely want to see this film.

Don't get too excited, the papers yesterday had Zeta Jones as Mainwaring, and that's where it lost me Hope they got the Jones mixed up) but will avoid at all costs if thats the way its going, bit like the proposed remake of Ghostbusters with an all female cast.

Don't get too excited, the papers yesterday had Zeta Jones as Mainwaring, and that's where it lost me Hope they got the Jones mixed up) but will avoid at all costs if thats the way its going, bit like the proposed remake of Ghostbusters with an all female cast.
Toby Jones is Mainwaring.

86493.jpg

86492.jpg

I'd mind re-boots or remakes. They don't 'sully the memory of the original'. If you want to maintain your memories of when you watched it 40 years ago, don't watch the new version. The original isn't a sacred text.

It introduces the comedy to a whole new audience - it provides a nostalgia hit for the oldies (without just repeating the old episodes) - and if it succeeds, it may launch the characters and situation into a whole new series. Similar to what has happened to Superman and all the new comic heroes.

And if it dies a death, no one speaks of it again.

Toby Jones lacks the pomposity and Nighy lacks the disinterested detachment of the privileged class - that was 50% of the comedy of Dad's Army

Incidentally, am currently watching Toby Jones in The Detectorists, written and directed by McKenzie Crook, whjch he is very good in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't really see the point in remaking a sitcom where the intended audience is all dead. Most of the stuff that made it so sly and clever will be lost on modern viewers, so presumably they'll have to dumb down the humour ridiculously.

Finally saw this on ch7 and although the film was OK, zeta jones should have been on TV much more often

damn you michael douglas you selfish bastard

shes damn fine for almost 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Back