Podcast BigFooty Cats Podcast Episode 6: Post Trade Period Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Gysenn

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
We're back! This week I'm joined by SJ, Pure_Ownage and thejester to discuss the delistings in full, and analyse the moves throughout the trade period.

Stringer/Schroder/Sheringham - 01:45
Hunt/Brown - 06:00
Burbury/Hamling/Bourke - 12:50
Varcoe for Clark - 16:35
Christensen for Pick 21 - 20:10
Pick 21 for Stanley - 25:20
Draft Pick Switcharoo - 30:55
Sam Blease - 33:00

*please excuse the editing error immediately after the intro song... I feel like it's somehow Varcoe's fault.

Youtube:

iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/bigfooty-cats-podcast-episode/id740234897?i=321195452&mt=2

We're back! This week I'm joined by SJ, Pure_Ownage and thejester to discuss the delistings in full, and analyse the moves throughout the trade period.

Stringer/Schroder/Sheringham - 01:45
Hunt/Brown - 06:00
Burbury/Hamling/Bourke - 12:50
Varcoe for Clark - 16:35
Christensen for Pick 21 - 20:10
Pick 21 for Stanley - 25:20
Draft Pick Switcharoo - 30:55
Sam Blease - 33:00

*please excuse the editing error immediately after the intro song... I feel like it's somehow Varcoe's fault.

Youtube:

iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/bigfooty-cats-podcast-episode/id740234897?i=321195452&mt=2

Great episode guys.

I reckon you were absolutely spot on in the summaries of the departed players.

As for the drafting philosophy - potential, durability, output.......sadly I think that may be correct.

Great episode guys.

I reckon you were absolutely spot on in the summaries of the departed players.

As for the drafting philosophy - potential, durability, output.......sadly I think that may be correct.

Really enjoyed this
Thanks for the feedback and support.

We're more than willing to take on board position and negative feedback from others!

I'm a little jealous though as we all love voicing our opinions in an open forum

Can't wait for draft night it's been so slow the last couple of weeks

thejester I agree on Stanley not helping so much with our midfield problems. I remember comparing some statistical areas during the season and regardless of the hitouts we were routinely beaten in clearances.

We need midfielders and losing bundy isn't going to help. I'm in the midfielder with #10 camp.

thejester I agree on Stanley not helping so much with our midfield problems. I remember comparing some statistical areas during the season and regardless of the hitouts we were routinely beaten in clearances.

We need midfielders and losing bundy isn't going to help. I'm in the midfielder with #10 camp.
I'm in the "we should have kept pick 21 to use on a midfielder so pick 10 could be used on a key defender, which are both things we need, because Rhys Stanley, another second-string ruck/forward, isn't what we need" camp.

I'm in the "we should have kept pick 21 to use on a midfielder so pick 10 could be used on a key defender, which are both things we need, because Rhys Stanley, another second-string ruck/forward, isn't what we need" camp.
Fair enough. I'm willing to give him a chance before passing judgement on the trade. It's only fair to do so.

Also what's done is done, and pick 10 hasn't been used (unlike Stanley for 21 which has) so I'd like to think we're picking a mid given what we have already done.

Fair enough. I'm willing to give him a chance before passing judgement on the trade. It's only fair to do so.

Also what's done is done, and pick 10 hasn't been used (unlike Stanley for 21 which has) so I'd like to think we're picking a mid given what we have already done.

I just don't think Stanley is the type of player the side needs. He may turn out better than I expect, and I sincerely hope he does, but the role I envisage him most effectively playing is that second ruck/forward role. Problem is, we already have players who can do that. Blitz, Walker, even Clark can do that. Even if Stanley can do it better than the former two and is more durable than the latter, you sort of have to question whether it was worth giving up pick 21 for a role player that we didn't really need, when we have other areas that we do need filling - young KPD, genuine first ruck, quality inside mids.

Due to the fact that Hamling is gone and that there seem to be a few quality KPD options that may be around that pick 10 mark this year, that's what I'd be going with. Gives them a couple of years of development before having to completely take over from Lonergan.

I just don't think Stanley is the type of player the side needs. He may turn out better than I expect, and I sincerely hope he does, but the role I envisage him most effectively playing is that second ruck/forward role. Problem is, we already have players who can do that. Blitz, Walker, even Clark can do that. Even if Stanley can do it better than the former two and is more durable than the latter, you sort of have to question whether it was worth giving up pick 21 for a role player that we didn't really need, when we have other areas that we do need filling - young KPD, genuine first ruck, quality inside mids.

Due to the fact that Hamling is gone and that there seem to be a few quality KPD options that may be around that pick 10 mark this year, that's what I'd be going with. Gives them a couple of years of development before having to completely take over from Lonergan.
There was an interview with Scott Lucas (Stanley's manager) who inferred that Stanley coming in, it's looking like Blitz will be used in the back half. Without Hamling and ageing defenders some KPD options could be quite useful. I think it's entirely possible that they may make a similar call on Walker as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be willing to SJ, although I think I'd be the worst possible option during the draft period, as others have way more knowledge about the players coming in.
That's not true at all.... I know way less :D

Really really top shelf again Gysenn with one minor negative observation, if not one of the three Amigo's on the panel could recognise the demise of Brown was due in the main to not going when it was his turn to go then you may have to consider a change or two and give them a stint on the bench,they skirted the issue and made excuses more suited to SEN on that subject, but over all 95% out of 100, again great work.

Thanks for the feedback YPO. Could you elaborate on what you mean here?
he means putting his body on the line when he had to... there is a saying in footy that you 'go when it's your turn to go' meaning wear a hit possibly or put yourself in harms way for the benefit of the team

he means putting his body on the line when he had to... there is a saying in footy that you 'go when it's your turn to go' meaning wear a hit possibly or put yourself in harms way for the benefit of the team
Cheers Bobby, makes sense now. :thumbsu:

got your names jumbled there mate

also FWIW I don't agree with his point, I felt he went hard at the ball when he had to... but that his frame probably meant he could never smash packs apart etc

also FWIW I don't agree with his point, I felt he went hard at the ball when he had to... but that his frame probably meant he could never smash packs apart etc
Hahahahaha, the old man in the photo did it for me. Thanks Willo.

Yep thanks for providing the explanation.

196cm and 94kgs,but there's a reason other clubs are not knocking on his door and it's not his body size it's fine and has been relatively injury free at least for the last couple of years,no one argues he has talent he has it in spades and he's versatile so why is he unloved except for a few here at Geelong- total footy.

Very impressed with the podcast. Lots of good conversation. Had a little chuckle about the running patterns as well. I just hope gfc keep placing value in the draft going forward on players who can win there own ball 1v1 personally I think it's what it's all about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great listen, thrilled to get a bit of an info fix during the off season.
As for the varcoe blease comparison, loved the point about hoping he could at least produce similar numbers to an out of form varcoe. But for me varcoes real value, and also why I rated him one of our better players this final series, was his efforts off the ball, not only with pressuring the ball carrier and giving the odd shepherd. Query on blease is a lack of defensive mindset and intensity, can kick off both feet but not particularly skillful. Will be interested to see if him and Murdoch get played together, two pacy young guys who don't chase ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back