Local Rugby Union National Rugby Championship

Remove this Banner Ad

Mint Condition

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
So it's been announced that a National Rugby Championship will be played this year following the completion of Super Rugby. It will be similar to South Africa's Currie Cup and NZ's ITM Cup in bridging the gap between local club rugby and super rugby. There will be 9 teams in the first season (selected after a tendering process that was open to all) with one match per week shown on Fox Sports. Not sure what sort of coverage there will be of the other games, but hopefully they're at least streamed online.

Teams will be:
Brisbane City (QRU/Reds)
Queensland Country (QRU/Reds - based at Bond University on the Gold Coast)
North Harbour Rays (Manly, Warringah, Gordon, Norths)
Sydney Stars (Sydney University and Balmain)
Greater Sydney Rams (West Harbour, Penrith, Parramatta, Eastwood, Southern Districts)
NSW Country (private consortium linking up with Randwick and Eastern Suburbs)
University of Canberra Vikings (ACT Rugby/Brumbies, University of Canberra, Tuggeranong Vikings)
Melbourne Rising (VRU/Rebels)
Perth Spirit (Rugby WA/Force)

There will be a 9 week round robin (including a bye for each team), followed by finals. That means 4 home games for each side. The ARU are also flagging using some small rule variations, like 2 points for penalty goals and time off for scrums.

What do people think?

The 2007 ARC didn't last because of the cost, but this year's competition is forecast to break even for the ARU. From a rugby perspective I think it's a good idea. It's obviously a little rushed and maybe the make up of the teams isn't perfect, but I think the Australian rugby community really needs to get behind this. Hopefully it can build into something good for the game.

I will be supporting the Rams!

I'm not really sure what Rising means, but I'll be keeping an eye on results nevertheless. What is with modern franchises and ordinary nicknames?

Because they want a unique nickname, and all of the good ones have gone in the last 100-or-so years to the AFL, NRL, and more recently, the basketball, baseball, cricket, - every two-bob comp has a host of nicknames. It's just something to sell fluffy toys to the kids anyway - not likely to be much of an issue here.

I'd like this comp to work, but, based on history, it seems unlikely. To play the comp after the Super 15 finishes, in competition with the Test matches - I can't see there being enough interest from broadcasters to get a reasonable deal. I think they are just trying to extract more revenue from the Union supporters than is actually available.

I'd like this comp to work, but, based on history, it seems unlikely. To play the comp after the Super 15 finishes, in competition with the Test matches - I can't see there being enough interest from broadcasters to get a reasonable deal. I think they are just trying to extract more revenue from the Union supporters than is actually available.

I don't doubt the player development merits but commercially it's never going to be a thing. They have enough trouble promoting Super Rugby.

I don't think it 's going to be some big commercial success any time soon either, not while it's the 3rd tier of rugby. But if it's financially sustainable it'll be great for Australian rugby in terms of player development and connecting with the grassroots rugby community. It won't be in competition with test matches. NRC matches will be played at different times. They might even feature as lead ins to home test matches on occasion.

It'll be decent standard too, with matches played mostly at smaller grounds with cheap entry prices.

The problem for rugby is that in the test season the Wallabies only play once per week. It's not enough content for such a large amount of the season. This competition can provide that extra content, which over time may become somewhat valuable to broadcasters.

I'm not really sure what Rising means, but I'll be keeping an eye on results nevertheless. What is with modern franchises and ordinary nicknames?

Well Rising is another name for rebellion so they're obviously trying to tie it into the Rebels. At the moment the Rebels call their A team 'Rebel Rising' ... I agree it doesn't sound great though. Leaves themselves at the mercy of sports headline writers as well.

Well the Rising have the lion's share of Rebels players while, as you imply, the Tahs players are predominantly spread around 3 NSW teams and the Reds around 2 QLD teams. As well as absent Wallabies, something that the Rising don't really need to contend with atm.

On the competition as a whole, I think it's been real winner. I was told by the people in charge of the competition that most teams are on target to break even or make a profit this year which is pretty remarkable in the first year of a competition. In fact, the guy told me that one side actually had broken even on their season's projections after one week of play...not sure how that's possible but it came from one of the 3 most reputable sources possible, so I believe him.

I've really enjoyed the comp as a whole. The tv broadcasting I think has been good with Sean Maloney a good change of pace from tired old Greg Clark and seeing some of the more suburban, beautiful rugby grounds that don't get much attention has been good too.

I think it is going to be a genuinely viable 3rd tier of rugby for the medium term at least. It's not without its problems, like potentially getting exposure on free to air (ABC on Saturday arvos seems like a winner considering it starts as Shite Shield finishes, although Fox might not be keen for that and prefer to have exclusivity), jumper clashes and getting a more equitable share of games on TV (Perth Spirit getting televised home game etc). But I think they've got a very good foundation upon which they can build now. Considering what a flop the ARC was, the ARU has to be pleased with how this version has been organised.

On the competition as a whole, I think it's been real winner. I was told by the people in charge of the competition that most teams are on target to break even or make a profit this year which is pretty remarkable in the first year of a competition. In fact, the guy told me that one side actually had broken even on their season's projections after one week of play...not sure how that's possible but it came from one of the 3 most reputable sources possible, so I believe him.

If that's true the ARU should be shouting it from the roof tops. Greg Growden has been reporting otherwise, but it wouldn't be the first time he's made stuff up.

I've enjoyed what I've seen of the NRC too. The points system change and the other little rule changes have been great. It was rushed together and hasn't had any promotion at all so there's a lot to improve in terms of organisation. For next season they need to live stream every match (with commentary) that isn't broadcast by Fox - and all on one platform ("NRC TV" or similar). The ARU should be funding this. At the moment some of the matches are streamed, but they've been organised by the individual clubs with no consistency and people aren't aware of it.

Other than that I think the "Stars" need to change their identity and perhaps their home ground to become more of a East + inner city + inner west team. Redfern Oval would be good. While they're seen as Sydney Uni they'll never grow a significant fan base.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the final is at Ballymore between Brisbane City and Perth Spirit.

Very surprising to see these two teams in the final and I think it's pretty hard to pick. I'd like to see Perth win it for the long suffering Force fans.

Hopefully the competition is on again next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back