The Western Bulldogs Next Coach

Who do you want to be the next coach of the Western Bulldogs?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The easiest thing to do is to believe that those who are now gone Macca and Griffen are some how entirely responsible and that they and they alone were the problem.

Trouble with that is that almost all of us revered Griffen and for good reasons. He did not suddenly become a traitorous sob with out legitimate rationale at least in his own mind. He expressed his concerns. Lowe would have been made aware of that and he had a job to discover how wide spread those issues were. He really should have known before griffen went to gordon. I can understand Gordon and garlic being blindsided at the scale of dissatisfaction amongst the playing group. Can you with a straight face say that Lowe had his finger anywhere near the pulse of the playing group?

And wouldn't you have to concede a GM of football should be aware of the players attitudes towards the coach - particularly if as some would say the man was an idiot? Personally abusive? Lost the playing group and hunters mother?

Why what happened with Hunters mother?

Doesn't this tell you something though?

How can you blame Lowe when no-one saw this coming?

After all, wasn't it agreed by all that Griffen would give it another shot under McCartney? The club knew no different to this (and had no reason to suspect otherwise) and it was only after Griffens return from holiday that he publicly dropped the bombshell of wanting out and completely ruined our negotiating ability.

Ah...because it was his job??? What do you think a football manager does??? Good ones don't get blindsided, good ones don't even let their club get near a situation like we just had.

I think we have the skeleton of a consensus
Lowe has a rugby background and as GM of our football department promoted in june 2013 has revealed no feel for the dressing room. However critical we may be of Garlic, as CEO his responsibilities are far broader. Lowe has categorically failed on his oversight responsibilities. Even if the club surreptitiously was hoping to off load senior players and cash in via draft trade, the way Griffen left, blindsided everyone and undermined our ability to maximise a deal. Lowe can no longer remain in that role.

Although i strongly prefer an experienced coach. If we are forced to appoint a rooky head coach, I think we are all agreed, we desperately need to appoint quality people around him. The GM of football must be someone who has the right gravitas and know how to manage a football department, list and dressing room. Maybe even someone like Worsfold who may not be ready to coach again or ever would be interested in such a role. It certainly cannot be Lowe.

Similarly, if it is not to be an experienced coach, he needs some assistants with broader experience:Matthew knights, McKenna ....
Montgomery likewise has now been at the club when too much crap has gone down. He needs a fresh start elsewhere and we need some fresh air as well.

If on the other hand we simply appoint a rooky coach to the existing team, we will stagger from one crisis to the next.

Peter Gordon you have some work to do.

Strong people skills with an uncompromising hard edge approach would be nice, is that even possible?

there must be many posts from the two on that ignore list recently, as no longer 20 posts per page.... Probably not missing anything though

Doesn't this tell you something though?

How can you blame Lowe when no-one saw this coming?

After all, wasn't it agreed by all that Griffen would give it another shot under McCartney?.

Why did Gordon not know about the problem until Griffen approached him directly? Or is this just a lie?

Why was Lowe not at the meeting with grant and Gordon? All of a sudden Chris Grant is responsible and Lowe isnt?

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/br...western-bulldogs/story-fndv8weh-1227109338912
LUKE Beveridge is ready to coach the Western Bulldogs with the highly-rated candidate an outstanding relationship-based coach, according to retired Hawthorn champion Brad Sewell.

Beveridge is regarded as the bolter in the race to succeed Brendan McCartney with his five AFL seasons yielding four Grand Finals (three premierships) and a preliminary final.

The 44-year-old spent the past three seasons with Sewell at the Hawks and is contracted to start as St Kilda’s director of coaching when he returns from an overseas family holiday this month.

The Bulldogs will consider Beveridge, Peter Sumich (Fremantle) and McCartney’s senior assistant Brett Montgomery when formal interviews begin this week.

McCartney’s communication flaws and deteriorating dealings with players led to his demise, but Sewell said the Hawks “absolutely loved” playing for Beveridge.

“He’s very, very good with people,” Sewell said.

Brian Lake talks with assistant coach Luke Beveridge during Hawthorn training at Waverly Park. Picture: Michael KleinSource: News Limit
“A good indication is he spent quite a bit of time with the players the week post the Grand Final, which traditionally isn’t a place for the coaches.

“But he sort of poked his head in a few times and the boys really appreciated that. We obviously knew he was leaving, so it was a little bit two-fold but the boys really did love playing for him.”

Of the prime contenders at Whitten Oval, former Dogs player Beveridge has the most recent experience steering his own team.

He led St Bedes-Mentone to three-straight VAFA premierships from 2006-8 before spending two years at Collingwood, where he was seen as key to the Magpies’ development as they built towards the 2010 flag.

Sewell said Beveridge would have no trouble relating to the Dogs’ talent-laden young list.

“He had everyone really playing for him,” the dual premiership star said.

“He’s got the ability to gel with the senior players but he’s got young teenage boys as well, so he connects very well with the (younger generation).”

In charge of the Hawks’ backline, Sewell said Beveridge had to be credited for their standing as the league’s premier defence.

“He managed that really well, pulling all the guys together and it’s probably fair to say our defenders were the best defensive unit this year,” he said.

“They didn’t necessarily play on a man, they played as a unit and just worked really well together.

“I’m a huge wrap for Bevo. He’s got really good perspective and he’s managed his own teams and he’s just so good with people.”

Saints chief operating officer Ameet Bains expects Beveridge to be discussed by the Dogs but said he was on course to start at Seaford this month.

“I mean we rate him highly — that’s why we got him,” Bains said.

The Dogs’ selection panel — led by football director Chris Grant — hopes to unveil their new leader by November 17 (when the senior players start pre-season) but will not be rushed.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/cl...next-coach-right/story-fndv8weh-1227109422195
IT is an appointment the greatest sons of the west know the Western Bulldogs must nail.

After parting with Brendan McCartney three years into a rebuild, the next senior coach must be one to spear the Dogs back up the ladder — and stick around to watch Tom Boyd boot goals on the MCG in September.

As Ted Whitten Jr — the son of the club’s largest icon — said: “They just need to get it right.”
“They really need to make sure the next coach they get is going to be there for a long period. Definitely,” he said.

And with No. 1 draft pick Boyd joining Jack Macrae, Marcus Bontempelli, Jake Stringer and Nathan Hrovat as prized pups, Brownlow medallist Tony Liberatore says the successful applicant will inherit a list capable of going boom.

“The side has to be as competitive as ever and playing finals is not unrealistic, I think we’ve got good enough players there,” the father of best-and-fairest winner Tom Liberatore said.

Liberatore isn’t fazed on what path Chris Grant and the his selection panel explore, so long as they appoint someone who appreciates the Dogs’ history, has a burning passion to coach and is filled with infectious self-belief.

“I hear some good stories about Brett Montgomery, so maybe someone like him,” Liberatore said.

“Then I sort of look a little bit outside the square and I look at some of the senior coaches like Mark Thompson, Mark Williams and guys like that if they’re willing to do it.

“I just wouldn’t put a line across anyone.”

The Dogs look certain to appoint a virgin coach with Montgomery, Luke Beveridge and Peter Sumich the frontrunners.

But Whitten Jr was unsure if that was the best fit, pointing out modern coaching was more about people management.

“I’m not really sure whether an untried coach is the way to go, but if it is it has to be a very good and well-respected communicator,” he said.

“You’d think an experienced coach would be ideal in terms of teaching the young players about success, particularly if that coach has had success.”

Club great Doug Hawkins agreed and said he thought Mark Harvey — who will return to Essendon under James Hird — would have been ideal.

“(Harvey is a) three-time premiership player, doesn’t take any bullshit, good communicator, I thought he ticked a fair few boxes,” Hawkins said.

“If we were going to go outside that and look at our own I thought Scotty West. He had two good years at Werribee, he did well at Melbourne, he’s a seven-time best-and-fairest winner and played 324 games … what do you need to do to get an opportunity?”

West — who spent 2014 in the ABC box after a five-year apprenticeship — wanted the job and Hawkins said he was surprised the Dogs rejected his interview request.

West was told he didn’t yet have the experience but Hawkins said the Dogs could have tried to package him up with a senior assistant.

“I think we need someone who can walk down Bourke St and be known,” Hawkins said.

“We need someone who can sell our footy club with a bit of charisma and character.

“Is it ‘Choco’ Williams? I don’t know. Is it a reinvented Gary Ayres who’s doing a super job at Port Melbourne?”

Hawkins believed that having coached your own team should be a prerequisite.

“If it’s Bacchus Marsh be Bacchus Marsh, if it’s Braybrook it’s Braybrook,” he said.

Beveridge did so from 2006-08 and won three VAFA flags, Sumich led South Fremantle to the 2001 decider and while Montgomery hasn’t, he has the players’ support and played a major role in the box this year.

Brownlow medallist Gary Dempsey believed Brett Ratten was the right fit, having worked with the dual Hawthorn premiership assistant in 2007 at Carlton.

“I thought Brett was excellent,” six-time Dogs best-and-fairest winner Dempsey said.

“He plans everything well, he’s prepared and I think his record at Carlton shows he can coach.”

Dogs games record holder Brad Johnson — who had to decline a place on the selection panel due to his AIS-AFL coaching and Fox Footy commitments — said West should get back into the system to help his future senior chances.

As for the 2015 mentor?

“Monty would be in the mix with what he’s been able to do as a senior assistant the last couple of years,” Johnson told 3AW last week.

Former forward Nathan Brown said he’d be happy with Williams — who is working in development at Brown’s second club Richmond — and among the unproven field he anointed highly-regarded assistant Leigh Tudor.

I have watched Brad Sewell many times on 360. He comes across as authentic and thoughtful. If he says Beveridge would be a great fit for us, then that's a real positive for me. Sewell is yet another to rate Bevo's ability to get the players to play for him and to get them to play as a cohesive unit. What he can't know is whether he can handle the pressure of being top dog at an AFL club like the Bulldogs.

Taken from one of the articles online regarding who Libba would like to see as coach, “I hear some good stories about Brett Montgomery, so maybe someone like him,” Liberatore said.

Like, WTF? How could Tom Liberatore only know "stories" about Montgomery? Didn't he work there?

Not sure what to think?

Maybe coming around to Beveridge...

LUKE BEVERIDGE

St Bedes-Mentone: 2006-8 (Senior coach)
Collingwood: 2009-10 (Development coach)
Hawthorn: 2012-14 (Defensive coach)
St Kilda: 2015- (Director of coaching)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taken from one of the articles online regarding who Libba would like to see as coach, “I hear some good stories about Brett Montgomery, so maybe someone like him,” Liberatore said.

Like, WTF? How could Tom Liberatore only know "stories" about Montgomery? Didn't he work there?

Not sure what to think?
Tony, not Tom.

If we appoint Beveridge would we have to pay compensation to the Saints? Or Fremantle for Sumich? Or Hawthorn for Ratten?

Thanks, Eddie :rolleyes:

I have watched Brad Sewell many times on 360. He comes across as authentic and thoughtful. If he says Beveridge would be a great fit for us, then that's a real positive for me. Sewell is yet another to rate Bevo's ability to get the players to play for him and to get them to play as a cohesive unit. What he can't know is whether he can handle the pressure of being top dog at an AFL club like the Bulldogs.
I don't think anybody knows to be honest.
It's a bit of the devil and the deep blue sea. The club was bold in poaching Tom Boyd, so I hope they don't get gun shy now. Luke Beveridge sounds impressive to me, and don't underestimate the politics of Ammo football . Sewell is a pretty switched on Bloke and his opinion shouldn't go unnoticed

I don't think anybody knows to be honest.
It's a bit of the devil and the deep blue sea. The club was bold in poaching Tom Boyd, so I hope they don't get gun shy now. Luke Beveridge sounds impressive to me, and don't underestimate the politics of Ammo football . Sewell is a pretty switched on Bloke and his opinion shouldn't go unnoticed
Sewell isa respected figure
But Sewell is supporting a colleague
What would you expect him to say - " nah mate his a dud"
Same as liber " heard good stories about Monty" but he also says maybe and experienced guy would be good.

It would be a remarkable rooky talent to thrive in our vipers den

Same as liber " heard good stories about Monty" but he also says maybe and experienced guy would be good.

Judging by Sewell's eloquence when speaking I wouldn't think he'd be so grammatically incorrect.

Quite true, and you could say the same of the Geelong & Essendon folk who recommended McCartney :cool:

Oh but your happy to spew forth Mooneys opinion of Macca as proof he was good

I think the word is hypocritical

Just got back from my yearly pilgrimage to Delphi. The Oracle says:

"the next coach will be a Hellene proud and true, who has shed blood for the club, tested in battle and familiar in our ways....."

Yep
LUKE BEVERIDGE :D
That description could also apply to Monty. The Oracle's predictions are open to interpretation :p

Well it's sealed then, Brad Sewell has endorsed Beverige, that's enough for me. I just hope he had his shirt in when he was interview for the story, likes to get the kit off does Brad. Seriously Brad Sewell, no need to interview now, the oracle has spoken.
Always been a li-ttle worried about Brad - not that there's anything wrong with that :oops:

If that was the case, why did the senior Hawthorn players not endorse Ratten?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back