List Mgmt. Free agent: Geelong signs Sam Blease as a delisted free agent

Remove this Banner Ad

Having checked the highlights package, I have to say Garlett looks better than Pickett…..(thanks VC)

Garlett tended to blaze away and turn it over quite a bit in the video I saw, but his run and carry was very impressive. Looks like he loves the ball in his hands and looks to be a pretty good (and long) kick on either side. I agree with you - based on the videos I've seen, I would take Garlett over Pickett if we are after an outside receiver type (though a few 5 minute highlights packages is the extent of my knowledge of the two).

A lot of clubs have weaker teams than us. It's much harder to get a game at Geelong than at most other clubs. And sure we've got pick 10 but even guys that made an impact last year would only be fringe players with us. Take James Aish. Really good young player and about as ready made as you get. He looked good this year but he probably wasn't in Brisbane's best 15 players. He looked promising but he was hardly tearing games apart. He would've played games for us but would he have moved somebody like Horlin-Smith out of our best 22? I doubt it.

Realistically the ready made 18 year old midfielder basically doesn't exist. Even most weaker AFL players by the age of 23-24 would be stronger than even the most strongly built young draftee. You're lucky if there's one O'meara, Wines or Selwood, who can have a massive impact in their first year, in a draft. The chance that there will be one at pick 10 is basically non-existent. So we'll likely be left with a guy who will play a few games next year but won't be in our best 22. The fact that talented but raw youngsters can't crack it for a regular spot until they fully develop should be celebrated not criticised.

Agreed. I expect and hope the impact this year to come from Hartman, Lang, Jansen and kolo. And by impact I mean having some good patches In the 10-12 game so hope they get to play this year.
Expecting players to come in and be like Sel is just setting yourself up for disappointment. The tank, size and physical resilience to go 20 weeks at 18-19 years just is not there.

Go Catters

Agreed. I expect and hope the impact this year to come from Hartman, Lang, Jansen and kolo. And by impact I mean having some good patches In the 10-12 game so hope they get to play this year.
Expecting players to come in and be like Sel is just setting yourself up for disappointment. The tank, size and physical resilience to go 20 weeks at 18-19 years just is not there.

Go Catters
What do you think Selwood had that our current crop, in fact, most young players just dont have? What allowed him to play 21 games in his first season, in a premiership team?

What do you think Selwood had that our current crop, in fact, most young players just dont have? What allowed him to play 21 games in his first season, in a premiership team?
He was not the gun carrying our team, he was often off the bench, he was protected and carried.
Saw every game in 07, that's my memory.
He fully deserved his spot though.

He was not the gun carrying our team, he was often off the bench, he was protected and carried.

Correct. He played a wonderful game in Round 5 against North (one of the very few), but don't forget he didn't play against Carlton in Round 2, and wouldn't have played in Round 3 v Melbourne had not Nathan Ablett pulled out at the very last minute. My recollection is that his best form came late in the season.

Having checked the highlights package, I have to say Garlett looks better than Pickett…..(thanks VC)
Garletts highlights are mostly colts and I think they showed 2 goals he kicked against Subi and Swans where League, his game against Subi reserves was his best game all year so a few of his good highlights came from there and against Peel colts who they beat by 80 points or more, Picketts highlights are from 18s and all of his League games, remembef Pickett played the last 5 league games which South freo won and Garlett got relegated back to colts after 2 games, I seen themboth play a lot of footy and dont get me wrong, Garlett is a great footballer but both at their best Pickett is a matchwinner.

I also remember reading at the time that the leadership group back then were super impressed with his work ethic on and off the field. Physically he came to us pretty much a ready made player, something pretty rare overall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I meant was, what about him as an 18 year old is different from pretty much every other 18 year old out there?
Was it simply a character thing?

Looks like Newton is a dfa:

DELISTED Port Adelaide midfielder Ben Newton is hoping to avoid the lottery of the national draft and find a new AFL home in the delisted free agency period, which opens on Saturday.
Newton, who quit the Power last week in search of greater opportunities and a longer contract, is understood to be close to agreeing terms with a new club.
He hopes to have a deal in place within days.
Newton, 22, politely declined to reveal which club he was dealing with but his manager Colin Young told The Advertiser “we’re pretty confident he will get picked up’’.
“We’ve had good conversations with a club and we’d hope to have something in place by mid next week,’’ Young said.

Now to see if the club is Melbourne as per the afl article, or if there is someone else interested.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/du...e-national-draft/story-fndv8s6g-1227108439819

Well as much as I agree , I think for that type of player we may as well draft Shannon Taylor. I looked his highlight on the Draft Hub again and still think he is worth a shot . Put him in the system and see what happens, but yes Garrlett is impressive.

Looks like Newton is a dfa:

Now to see if the club is Melbourne as per the afl article, or if there is someone else interested.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/du...e-national-draft/story-fndv8s6g-1227108439819

I'd be surprised if it's Melbourne as they only have 3 list spots for 2, 3 and 40 (plus stretch at 42)
So if they take Newton they are foregoing pick 40 which is a fairly good pick, or they have to delist another player.

Geelong taking him instead of pick 60 is more logical.

Wouldnt rule out Richmond or Carlton either, they have stacks of list spots.

I think I like the idea of getting Blease, a former 1st round draft pick, seems to kick well on both sides, has speed and looks like a decent forward pocket player. Aside from McCarthy, I think we lack depth with crumbing forwards, so I think it's a decent pick up.

Correct. He played a wonderful game in Round 5 against North (one of the very few), but don't forget he didn't play against Carlton in Round 2, and wouldn't have played in Round 3 v Melbourne had not Nathan Ablett pulled out at the very last minute. My recollection is that his best form came late in the season.

Selwood did play against Carlton in Round 2. I think he missed the Hawks game in Tassie in Round 4 though.

I think I like the idea of getting Blease, a former 1st round draft pick, seems to kick well on both sides, has speed and looks like a decent forward pocket player. Aside from McCarthy, I think we lack depth with crumbing forwards, so I think it's a decent pick up.

Not a crumbing forward , more speedy outside runner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back