Best Wins & Worst Losses

Remove this Banner Ad

I used to feel sorry for Ian Thorogood. We must have driven him mad with our inconsistency.

Was certainly the 'boys club' era, every week one of Walls, McKay, Southby, Percy was walking out of the club, so they lashed out and recruited 48 year old Peter Bloody McKenna and Peter Bedford.

Club was stuck in a timewarp, still made finals every year.....and that was good enough. The best foot in the arse the club had was losing that Round 22 game at Western Oval and getting booted from the '77 finals.

76 prelim. There were tears

We went through a 2 month winning streak towards the end of that season, displayed awesome form and finished on top of the ladder. That prelim was a shattering defeat. Carlton dominated play in the last 10 minutes and North were very lucky to hang on.

Last edited:
Was certainly the 'boys club' era, every week one of Walls, McKay, Southby, Percy was walking out of the club, so they lashed out and recruited 48 year old Peter Bloody McKenna and Peter Bedford.

Club was stuck in a timewarp, still made finals every year.....and that was good enough. The best foot in the arse the club had was losing that Round 22 game at Western Oval and getting booted from the '77 finals.

Footscray coach Bill Goggin declared during the week before that game that he would help get 6th place South Melb in the finals. We got done by the doggies and South took advantage of it.

That was one of the most embarrassing Carlton defeats during those years as we were in the top 5 after every previous round that season.

Footscray coach Bill Goggin declared during the week before that game that he would help get 6th place South Melb in the finals. We got done by the doggies and South took advantage of it.

That was one of the most embarrassing Carlton defeats during those years as we were in the top 5 after every previous round that season.

Ian Stewart took on Guru status after the Round 22 miracle against North, so of course we went and poached him.

He turned out to be odd, very odd. :oops:

I was still youngish at the time, and took my younger brother to this game. We paid less than $5 each to get in and were really looking forward to it (that was more than a weeks pocket money)....we rarely went to the footy. Got pantsed in the first quarter, but didnt worry. Started to look like a blowout in the second quarter, but we stuck fat. By halfway through the third quarter we were something like 14 goals down, and I told my brother we should just leave.

The heckling we got from Melbourne fans as we left has stuck with me. We were two kids in our very low teens who didnt know any better being heckled by 50 year old blokes. One of the most bouyant parts of the last 5-8 years of football has been seeing Melbourne be completely terrible.
I was at the same game. The mocking grins and laughter directed at Carlton players and fans that day have left me completely unsympathetic to the ongoing woes at Melbourne. Someone has to be last, and they deserve it for there all round incompetence and complete lack of anything resembling a supporter base. GWS probably have more fans.

2002, when Riccardi kicked it (touched) after the siren from 50 to win it for the Catters, I wasn't used to the pain of a horror year, being 15 at the time. The dark times were only beginning, but there were tears that day...

I may be remembering it wrong but, round 22 against hawthorn in 2008, getting beaten by 10 goals by hawthorn and Fev was on 99 goals and they triple teamed him, I always thought Clarkson was scum after that. It was the one thing we blues were cheering for in a terrible year.

Ian Stewart took on Guru status after the Round 22 miracle against North, so of course we went and poached him.

He turned out to be odd, very odd. :oops:

First season I followed footy was 1978 season.
Very vague on details but I remember Stewart was coach somehow and we had terrible start to season. I remember losing to Richmond round one by big margin. Then we kept losing and somewhere in first 6 or 7 weeks I recall some odd stuff going on. I even remember maybe hearing a rumour that Robert Walls punched Ian Stewart after a game. Not sure if true but during that season Walls left and went to Fitzroy and Stewart did not last long as coach.

I remember Jesaulenko got asked to be captain-coach. He seem to take over and give an amazing change in fortunes for us. From being 1 win or something from first 7 or 8 rounds we ended up making the top five and even winning an Elimination Final against Geelong. Next season we only lost 3 games all season by small margins and maybe only scored less than 100 once in whole home and away season. Jezza was like some Messiah for our club at time. He had such an aura it seemed like he had complete control of the players. I remember as a kid he was my idol just to listen to talk on Club Corner!
So we win 1979 premiership with him captain-coach and he got injured in Grand Final in last quarter and carried off with stuffed ankle. Then biggest shock in off season. For some reason he resigns as coach due to some in club politics saw George Harris as President kicked out. What a strange introduction as a kid to follow my club in first 18 months. He also left the club as apparently he said if Harris goes so will I.

Never seen anything like it in all my time following footy. Even the drama going on at Essendon in last two years was nothing like the craziness that went on at Carlton between 1978 and 1980. A club goes from absolute basket case early 78 to making finals. Then the flag the next year and same year the biggest man at club goes. Then one of his best mates takes over as coach and more a pranskster than a coach. I remember as a kid I was in shock and disbelief.
If any little Bulldog kid supporter was shocked by Griffen leaving Bulldogs a month ago or a young cat fan that worshipped Gary Ablett see him goto Gold Coast well I doubt that even came close to shock I was in to read Alex Jesaulenko , legendary player and captain-coach resigns from club a couple of months after we celebrate a premiership win over an arch rival.
He did come back a decade later but by then he had been out of the real thrust footy industry for some time and I think reluctantly took it on because once again we were a basket case when we sacked Robert Walls during early 1989. He completely lost the players early that season and probably the loss to Brisbane Bears on home ground the biggest shock I had in my first decade or so of following our matches.

From 1978 to 1988 Carlton made the top five every year. 1989 was my first experience of us not being a finals team. Eleven seasons in a row of top five.

Any younger Carlton supporter following from about 2001 till now probably had the other extreme of expecting our teams to be very ordinary. Now we cannot even make finals when it is only a top 8. I lose track of the horror matches in last decade and a bit. Too many to recall and all seem to blend into one really horror dark period of club. We even lost our home ground :(
For some reason I remember the unexpected horror matches when we good more. Probably because I expected so much more from us as the talent at club in late 70's and most of 80's was amazing. That 1989 loss to Bears when Walls was coach and clowns like Capper played was hard to stomach. It hurt bad because we should have been a finals contender.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best wins. hmm. That will be tough. 1982 Qualifying Final I did not goto but followed through out the day on radio and later saw on tv replays when channel 7 and ABC both had replay shows. Anyway in that year there were some seriously super sides. We were playing Hawks at the G. Hawks were damn good side. This is a club that had a list at the time of some of the true greats of the game. Leigh Matthews and Gary Ablett just to drop a few names....lol
Anyway, we seem to have some exciting battles with Hawks that year. I remember Lethal Leigh Matthews was so good it was scary. I think we used to play Curly Austin on him but Lethal generally would whack someone like Austin and knock him out. The guy was built like a little tank with tree trunks as legs.

Not sure of the score in game but in either the second or third quarter of this final we kicked 11 goals against Hawks in the quarter. Just completely took them apart with electrifying footy. Wayne Hames from what I recall that played as nuggety strong back pocket or some times in the centre was playing up forward and in that quarter was unstoppable. Despite being built like an ox he actually was quick and hard to stop. I think he might have kicked 4 goals himself in about 15 minutes. Some of the most exciting footy a team has played in a big final at the G against tough opposition. I've searched for it in recent years on youtube but for some reason finding a video copy of this final is bloody hard to find. Wish I recorded it on video as a kid when replay on at night but I've never seen the highlights since and wish I could see it again.

Anyway in same final my favourite player Wayne Jonhston was reported for whacking a Hawk. From memory back then you had a hearing and the general rule as players is you do not dob in another player in if the incident not caught on camera. Instead you aim to square them up yourself next time on field. However, this time the Hawk player O'Halloran said Johno whacked him one. Johnno got 2 weeks. I was mortified as a teenager to realize if we won our next final against Richmond we go straight through to Grand Final and his 2 week suspension mean he would miss it and we miss one of our dynamic players of the time. I was torn as a Carlton supporter. I loved the Dominator. He played with such ferocity he was exciting to watch. I did not want to miss out on that if we in the Grand Final. Thankfully and amazingly we played a shocker the next week and lost to Richmond and they went into Grand Final and we had to play a prelim final to make it through.
By losing it meant if we won the prelim final the next week Johno misses his two games and back for the Grand Final. You little ripper!!!!
Anyway, that is how it played out. We won the prelim final with an ex-Geelong star David Clarke traded to us that year playing in those weeks Dominator was suspended. In fact, he played a crucial role in us winning the prelim final but I think it was him who made way for Dominator back for the Grand Final v Richmond. Due to Richmond beating us in the 2nd week of finals series they were hot favourites.
The Dominator was like a caged lion let off the leash at start of Grand Final. We got the first two goals basically within a minute and a bit. Mainly due to Dominator intensity just creating play were we'd get those opening goals in the Grand Final. It is easier to find video footage of Grand final than the earlier final in week one where we destroyed Hawks with 11 goals in one quarter. With players like Wayne Johnston, Wayne Harmes, Jimmy Buckley, Kenny Sheldon, Bosustow, Kenny Hunter, Doull etc etc. good luck to Richmond stopping us winning our 14th flag at the time. That team could play electric exciting footy and only made it more enjoyable because other clubs at the time like Hawks and Richmond had such strong teams themself. Only a pity the videos of many of the games of those times are so hard to find now. it just seems Channel 7 did not keep enough of their copies of those early 80's and somewhere some lucky bugger probably has copy on old VHS video of the channel 7 replay of the 11 goal quarter in a final of Carlton v Hawks. Wish I had it...

Glad the title has been changed. Too many terrible losses to mention.
I have been going to the footy on and off for 38 years and the game that stands out for me is the 1999 Prelim. That was our Grand final, we stopped Essendon from winning another premiership.

Best win: 1999 prelim. Wish I could say the 95 gf but I just barely remember it. Beating essendon a few years ago was especially delicious because I was there with three arrogant bombers supporters.

93 grand final...only game i think of more often is the 95 granny
in 93 it just felt like everything went their way, we couldnt do a thing right whilst they had all the luck, pace and having their youngsters smash our (what i thought) experience really hurt. had some pretty ugly opposition supporters close to us that made it that more hellish as well...

That was my second Grand Final I ever went to. The first was 1986 :(

It still haunts me that 1993 Grand Final having a horrible feeling at start that why are we playing Mark Athorn on Michael Long and why triers but HACKS like Mark Athorn and Tim Powell playing in a Grand final for us when bloody PETER DEAN and young KOUTA are left out.
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It even hurts after all these years to have really bad feeling we would have won if we picked the right side.

99 prelim final was good, but the good feel of that game was for kicking out the only club that could challenge us or pass us for most flags at time. Our own team was really only making up numbers so to fix up Essendon at such a perfect time was a great feel. However, it pales in comparison to actually winning a flag itself. I went to 99 Grand Final the week later and although I hoped we could upset North I was not expecting it so much. I was just really happy we stuffed Essendon up and went further into September than we were expected to. We genuinely were only about 6th best side of season but we just happened to play our best footy for year in the semi-final week and prelim final. Stupid Essendon supporters of time did not know what was about to hit them. They were more concentrating on getting tickets for the grand final next week ..lol.. I knew we had a chance and had a good feeling something special was going to happen as arrived at G meeting other Carlton mates.

The 1995 Grand Final only one I been to we won. The truth was we were so far above the other sides that year and I could not see Geelong beating us. Seriously almost 3 or 4 minutes into that game I knew we had it won. It was fun to be at Grand Final and actually basically just enjoy watching it unfold and having no real doubt. Me and a mate we already buying celebratory drinks around quarter time. It was surreal to be at a Grand Final and have no real thought or fear it could go wrong. After all it was our 16th win in a row that season. It was our 16th flag which was pretty damn sweet.
Pretty sad that 19 seasons later we not added to it. I'd seen 5 Carlton flags by that stage. It was the only one I was at the ground to see happen. The other 4 on tv but I loved them all.
It is sad the younger fans that missed the glory days of early 80's actually only have a prelim final win of 1999 to consider highlight of their time as a follower. Even that is going back 15 seasons now. We lost our way as a club big time soon after 1995 when we never adjusted to the salary cap and draft era that started in late 80's but started to really take effect in late 90's. We did nothing in mid to late 90's to replace the guns we had by trading to get early picks. We simply let our guns retire and slowly but surely get an average list. When we finally got close to bottom with early picks we stuffed up even more by paying no serious attention to salary cap was for real. Then I goto a final in 2014 and watch Daniel Wells play for North to beat Essendon and Goddard play for the opposition. Both were going to Carlton....

Best win i have been to is when we beat Collingwood in 2012 the second time. Before that game i was dead set certain we would lose but went anyway.:D:D:D:D

Hope we don't do a St Kilda and make the grand final twice in a row and lose both of them, then fall down the ladder to last. Geez i don't know what i'd do.

Best win i have been to is when we beat Collingwood in 2012 the second time. Before that game i was dead set certain we would lose but went anyway.:D:D:D:D
It was sweeter for me.

It was my bucks night. A groomsman was a Collingwood supporter so we all went to watch the game thinking Carlton had no chance after losing 6 of the last 7. Ratten was about to get fired. My groomsman was very smug when it started. The smile was gone by the end of the game. I didn't know whether to cheer or laugh as we kicked goal after goal. Awesome start to the night.

So we win 1979 premiership with him captain-coach and he got injured in Grand Final in last quarter and carried off with stuffed ankle. Then biggest shock in off season. For some reason he resigns as coach due to some in club politics saw George Harris as President kicked out. What a strange introduction as a kid to follow my club in first 18 months. He also left the club as apparently he said if Harris goes so will I.

Never seen anything like it in all my time following footy. Even the drama going on at Essendon in last two years was nothing like the craziness that went on at Carlton between 1978 and 1980. A club goes from absolute basket case early 78 to making finals. Then the flag the next year and same year the biggest man at club goes. Then one of his best mates takes over as coach and more a pranskster than a coach. I remember as a kid I was in shock and disbelief.
If any little Bulldog kid supporter was shocked by Griffen leaving Bulldogs a month ago or a young cat fan that worshipped Gary Ablett see him goto Gold Coast well I doubt that even came close to shock I was in to read Alex Jesaulenko , legendary player and captain-coach resigns from club a couple of months after we celebrate a premiership win over an arch rival.

After the hysteria of post '79 and George Harris (the only man to come out of Changi Prison fatter than he went in, so the legend goes), and the Pies fans lining up to pot us, we end up with Percy as coach, one new player Maylin, v the Carringbush at VP Round 1, 1980..........first bounce WoW Jones goes Peter Moore, and we blitzed 'em. Johnston gets 7, at one stage we are out to 14 goals......the next days Sunday Press (comped by the Age hacks, produced by us good guys on Flinders St) had a back page pic with Dominator fist in the air, and the headline screamed 'It's a Grand Old Game'.

One of the more satisfying wins I've ever seen.

1980 was a crazy year for Carlton, we had the best players.....our coach (Percy) still wanted to play seniors, yet was being outvoted by the committee, so he was playing magoos pre seniors games, went on until mid-season when Perce finally retired on 249 games.

We ended top 4, copped Richmond in the first final at VFL Park........Graeme Landy utterly nutted Sheldon in the first quarter, KB got off the leash, then the strangest thing happened.

Was sitting on the fence, Members wing, quarter time.

Teams had their little chat and the coaches were walking off when P-P-P Percy suddenly had a go at Rudi Webster. Rudi was a motivational coach, Sports Science guy that had gained fame with the West Indies during the WSC days, he'd spent time with us, but was now with Richmond............Tony Jewell, the Richmond coach, snapped and threw a couple at Percy, who s**t his undies, reckon it was Shane O'Sullivan who got him out the way and saved his arse.

Happened about 10 yards in front of me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back