List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Free up Rance to play midfield ;)
Bizarre but strangely interesting thought...

Watching Lever highlights, and knowing he just completed a triathlon two or three weeks ago... it wouldn't be too outrageous to say he could spend time in the midfield...

RFC_Official can you confirm as to whether its 10 or 12 players invited to the draft?
As the AFL won't know who is going to select who, I would assume there are circa 15 players (maybe more) invited for the top 10

1) Remember, 18 months ago Durdin was projecting as a top 5 or so for 2014. Some experts had him 1 or 2. He was a very good u/16 player in the ruck and as a bottom age last year he was very good playing for the Championship winning SA team, again in the ruck.

2) He’s only slipped in calculations this year because he broke his thumb (badly) at the start of the year tearing a ligament in the process and missed 3 months, and since then has had to play in a multitude of different positions in different sides all over the place i.e. hasn’t been able to settle into a role outside of the ruck yet but shows he has all the skills to do so. Quiet carnival as a result, but by the end of the year he was flying again at West Adelaide.
I don't think he's slipping due to the broken thumb, more so he's shown his best form in the ruck and he's too small to do that at AFL level. Showing the skills to play a kpp role is one thing, but for a Top 10-12 draft pick you'd want to be more certain than that. Sounds a lot like Shaun McKernan when he was drafted.

Pelchen on the afl site reckons it's highly unlikely Ellis will get past us at 12. Not sure how to read that - are others before is interested in him or are we that keen on him?

A week out from the draft in terms of coverage, we have a special draft documentary coming, where we take you inside the inner workings of our recruiting team as they break down players in great detail. And also something special from draft night that no other club has done before, really hoping it comes off well.
We're going to post Francis' rankings list online for everyone to see. :eek:

Will be disgusted if we pick Ellis ahead of Laverde/Wright/Weller/Duggan/Lever or even Ahern
Realistically Weller is our best bet! and would be over the moon if we landed him!
You might be entitled to be disappointed, but disgusted? These kids haven't even been drafted yet and you're already picking out the whipping boy.

Hoping that with #12 they take Weller, would be happy with Duggan, Wright or even Lever.
Doubt Laverde would still be available.
Not keen on Ellis and think Cockatoo isn't quite worth our first but sadly won't make it until the second.

Also hoping they can pick up Lonie or Smith later on.

if we did pick Ellis at #12, would that lessen our chance of getting pace/run/carry at #33 or are we better off going pace etc with #12 and inside grunt at #33? which would be the best way to go in terms of "most likely to happen"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be disgusted if we pick Ellis ahead of Laverde/Wright/Weller/Duggan/Lever or even Ahern
Realistically Weller is our best bet! and would be over the moon if we landed him!
Tell ya what I'm going to be ******* excited with whoever we take at 12 as I'll back in full time recruiting staff over anyone here when judging talent in junior footballers

if we did pick Ellis at #12, would that lessen our chance of getting pace/run/carry at #33 or are we better off going pace etc with #12 and inside grunt at #33? which would be the best way to go in terms of "most likely to happen"?
Dan Richardson went on the record saying best available at 12, but given the available draft talent will likely meet our need for inside mid. Then pace at 33. So Ellis at 12 would increase the chance of pace at 33.

Dan Richardson went on the record saying best available at 12, but given the available draft talent will likely meet our need for inside mid. Then pace at 33. So Ellis at 12 would increase the chance of pace at 33.
i get that, i am just curious as to weather there will then be pace at #33 in that case or if there's a better chance at an inside mid we want being there at #33. very interesting night next week. can't come along soon enough

A week out from the draft in terms of coverage, we have a special draft documentary coming, where we take you inside the inner workings of our recruiting team as they break down players in great detail. And also something special from draft night that no other club has done before, really hoping it comes off well.
Not sure announcing who we like before the pick will come off. Bold strategy though. :D

Pelchen on the afl site reckons it's highly unlikely Ellis will get past us at 12. Not sure how to read that - are others before is interested in him or are we that keen on him?
I took it to mean others might be interested but if he isn't taken Richmond will. Highly unlikely is quite definitive and it was a surprising thing to say. Pelchen also said of Ellis "He is an outstanding kick, and while cruisey has genuine talent"

There's some pace and inside players later on. If they go with Ellis then that means at 33 look at outside pace. I'm confident there will be good ones available.

Probably better inside mids later on, so I'd go outside pace with Weller/Gartlett at 12 but in this draft it can go either way later on.

I think at this moment the draft is looking like:

Petracca, Brayshaw, McCartin, Pickett, De Goey/Langdon/Laverde, Goddard, Ahern, Moore, Duggan, Wright (De Goey/ Laverde), Cockatoo.

Collingwood are very interesting. I know for a fact they love De Goey but word coming out is Laverde has always been on their radar and now Langdon. I heard something about Melbourne falling away from McCartin and going another mid like Laverde if so Collingwood will be changing their list with McCartin and Moore I'd assume.

GWS love Goddard and Ahern. GC Duggan and maybe could go Wright.

Leaves us with some beauties. A talent that could have gone top 5. God result.

There's some pace and inside players later on. If they go with Ellis then that means at 33 look at outside pace. I'm confident there will be good ones available.

Probably better inside mids later on, so I'd go outside pace with Weller/Gartlett at 12 but in this draft it can go either way later on.

I think at this moment the draft is looking like:

Petracca, Brayshaw, McCartin, Pickett, De Goey/Langdon/Laverde, Goddard, Ahern, Moore, Duggan, Wright (De Goey/ Laverde), Cockatoo.

Collingwood are very interesting. I know for a fact they love De Goey but word coming out is Laverde has always been on their radar and now Langdon. I heard something about Melbourne falling away from McCartin and going another mid like Laverde if so Collingwood will be changing their list with McCartin and Moore I'd assume.

GWS love Goddard and Ahern. GC Duggan and maybe could go Wright.

Leaves us with some beauties. A talent that could have gone top 5. God result.
Who you thinking at 33 for pace?

I still think despite the heat around Ellis that we'll take Weller.
How much hope is in that prediction ? Or is there something you know or think that gives you that belief?

Its not just the talk around Ellis, there is also jurno talk that Weller might be around late teens. Pelchen reckons the three most likely available for Essendon are Weller Ahern or Lamb. His comment about another club WCE? was Cockatoo, Langford or possibly Weller. He could easily be purely speculating but he would have good contacts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back