Preview National Draft discussion (Picks 14, 35, 43, 58)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wright getting to our pick would be nowhere near as surprising as Grundy dropping to Pick 18 a couple of years ago.

Didn't the more serious phantoms have Grundy btw 15-20? I seem to remember him being drafted smack bang where expected.

Didn't the more serious phantoms have Grundy btw 15-20? I seem to remember him being drafted smack bang where expected.
He was in the running for Pick 1 mid year then kept slipping down. Even a week or 2 before the draft he was certain top 10, likely top 5... then late mail was that he'd be slipping.

Wouldnt say blindingly fast, not ben rutten slow but certianly no charlie cameron, looks about a bontempelli pace if that makes sense, not flying but covers the ground well.

Have no idea what use he'd be to our team now or in the next 3 yrs. He's a Puopulo-type tackling forward come mid. Nowhere near as quick, not an elite kick, and will sit in the SANFL behind Atkins and Knight, who are far better prospects. Petrenko-esque. IMO...pass.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-21/who-will-the-saints-pick

Just listened to the AFL draft podcast from Cal Twomey with Chris Pelchen as guest. First half hour is all about Pelchen's history, interesting but not worth listening to!

Here are some notes from the "draft whispers" segment:

Pelchen: "GWS’s Pick 4 will shape the draft"

Twomey: "Lever – could get to 13/14

Pickett firming for pick 4 – Collingwood interested in him at 5 if available

Ahern linked to Giants at Pick 6

Peter Wright interview by the Giants this week so there’s still some interest there. Still a chance at Pick 7.

Ellis to Tigers at 12 is possible

Laverde could slip to Eagles at 11 if Collingwood at GWS pass. Weller a chance for Eagles too.

Duggan to Gold Coast at 8 is likely.

Kyle Langford to Adelaide at 14 is “one that’s come up a little bit over the last 2 weeks”

Durdin/Marchbank may be sliding."

Pelchen: "most clubs have their draft lists sorted by mid-October. Any interviews thereafter are for ‘reassurance’."

Twomey: "Nakia Cockatoo continues to be a bit of a mystery- lot of twitter questions – could get through to Essendon at 17 or 20."

i can see my tv contro, being hurled through the air if freo select Sam Durdin at pick 13 or if at picks 10,11, 12 and 13 the names of Wright, Durdin, Maynard and Goddard are read out. dumb dumb sumb for trading pick 10

Versatile, smart, definitely tall enough, plays both ends of the ground, 82% efficiency last season with the ball. Durable..the perfect swing man, knows how to take a big grab. He's quick enough this kid can play.
I have been very impressed at SANFL level. Defintley be happy for him on the rookie list.

i can see my tv contro, being hurled through the air if freo select Sam Durdin at pick 13 or if at picks 10,11, 12 and 13 the names of Wright, Durdin, Maynard and Goddard are read out. dumb dumb sumb for trading pick 10

I still think you are a troll.

I still think you are a troll.
You cant always defend the club you love... you also have to question the mistakes and silly things they do.. and i think trading pick 10 was stupid.. if we had that pick 10 we would have had 2 or 3 choices but at 14.. i think we will end up getting the 3rd or 4th choice that we wanted. we need a key defender 195cm-200cm and so do freo and freo have pick 13. Goddard and Durdin will go before pick 14.
and of course the crows will tell us "oh yeah yeah we got our man, we are stoked"

You cant always defend the club you love... you also have to question the mistakes and silly things they do.. and i think trading pick 10 was stupid.. if we had that pick 10 we would have had 2 or 3 choices but at 14.. i think we will end up getting the 3rd or 4th choice that we wanted. we need a key defender 195cm-200cm and so do freo and freo have pick 13. Goddard and Durdin will go before pick 14.
and of course the crows will tell us "oh yeah yeah we got our man, we are stoked"
You don't know anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why? DO NOT WANT durdin. Don't rate at all. We will get a good player - be happy to trust our recruiting team, they have done an excellent job over the past few years.

Why? DO NOT WANT durdin. Don't rate at all. We will get a good player - be happy to trust our recruiting team, they have done an excellent job over the past few years.
i guess we wont really know until 2-3 years down the track. keep an eye on the players that go at picks 10-14.. we will then rate them once their careers have kicked in. i just dont want another "oh the crows could have had him" story. Rucci the w***er will be waiting and waiting to dig his heels in again.

and you do? 25 year member, hardly missed a game and cos i have an opinion i dont know anything?
lol wow
Because we have four full time recruiting staff who spend every waking hour pouring over draft prospects. I'm willing to back their calculated decision over an internet numpty who has zero idea.

i guess we wont really know until 2-3 years down the track. keep an eye on the players that go at picks 10-14.. we will then rate them once their careers have kicked in. i just dont want another "oh the crows could have had him" story. Rucci the ****** will be waiting and waiting to dig his heels in again.
I have news for you - regardless of what happens at the draft that article will be written. In fact I bet it is already written and Rucci is just waiting to put the names in. I expect him to write something about it in the lead up to the draft. Of course he won't point out that we also get a 2nd round pick that we wouldn't have had and that you need to weight up the pick 14 and 35 output against pick 10 - not just pick 14.

The real question is - why do you care so much what Rucci writes? Only an idiot reads or believes anything he has written. He is the most clueless person going around. My advice for you is to completely ignore anything he says and don't bother reading the Advertiser. You will be better informed, happier and more relaxed. I haven't read it for some time and I haven't missed it one bit.

My 2c.
GWS will take Wright at either 6 or 7. Boyd and Giles gone, Patton out for the year. He is a player they seem to have a bit of a need for. He kind is a 2 for 1 replacement of Boyd and Giles.

I would love to see Beech get a Rookie spot at the Crows. He's a bit of a Tom Lynch type i guess. Leading half forward with good endurance, who can then hit the scoreboard as well. Deserves a shot to prove himself at AFL level.

I don't think you are a troll, but this is a very troll like post.

The players in the 2nd/3rd rounds are very even and not far off the 1st round quality, we have to get a lot of new talent into the squad this year due to past sanctions. We see very little difference in quality between pick 10 and 14. This strategy will allow the overall quality of our picks to be much better and thats not "silly", thats intelligent. We wont even draft Durdin if hes there at 14 anyway.

RE Lever, was talking to a good friend the other day, who had been speaking with one of the support staff at Calder Canons (Lever's TAC club). Of course he was biased, but the staff member couldn't speak highly enough of Lever and reckons he will become the best player of the draft. Likened him to Luke Hodge I believe. To have captained VicMetro as a bottom-ager I think speaks volumes.

Would be stoked if we ended up with Lever, as I never thought he was a realistic chance.

If we then managed to pick up Oscar MacDonald at 35 as our KPD, we could pass on the remaining picks and I'd still be happy :D

He's third tall material at best as a defender, I would be really surprised if they picked him in front of some decent sized talls as Freo are on the periphery of falling down the ladder now, when Mcpharlin/Pav leave they are screwed unless they get replacements
He will be a very good 3rd tall defender. I think you're selling him very short. A decent 3rd tall is an even bigger need IMO. Talia & Hartigan are suited to KPD role, where as we lack a decent tall who will take a lot of intercept marks, go 3rd man up to support the key defenders and provide rebound.

We'll also look at a mature age KPD in rookie draft too. 3rd tall defender is a need as long term I don't rate Otten or Shaw and I see Cheney ideally as a medium defender.

10423928_10205454005972726_5073777821052677281_n.jpg

i guess we wont really know until 2-3 years down the track. keep an eye on the players that go at picks 10-14.. we will then rate them once their careers have kicked in.

Record your choice for the trade period - in this thread. So we can see how your decisions might have panned out in coming seasons :)

Remember, all the clubs will pick players that have potential ... it really is a crap-shoot at the best of times. And our recruiters have been pretty decent with the dice in recent years.

Look at the draft history posted on the AFC website, so many players that are picked end up either disappearing or moving on.

The last 10 years:

Failed: Fergus Watts (6), Joshua Krueger (0)
Moved: Ben Hudson (168)

Success: Nathan van Berlo (182*)
Failed: John Meesen(6), Chad Gibson (0)
Moved: Ivan Maric (132*), Chris Knights (101*)

Success: Richard Douglas (155*)
Failed: Darren Pfeiffer (23), Allan Obst (5)
Moved: Bernie Vince (151*)

Success: David Mackay (124*)
Failed: James Sellar (44), Nick Gill (17), Bryce Campbell (8)
Moved: Kurt Tippett (130*)

Success: Patrick Dangerfield (131*), Andy Otten (79*), Taylor Walker (84*)
Failed: Jarrhan Jacky (3), Myke Cook (14), Aaron Kite (0)
Moved: Tony Armstrong (34*)

Success: Rory Sloane (100*)
Failed: Shaun McKernan (34*), Will Young (2), Tom Lee (13*)
Moved: Phil Davis (64*)

Success: Daniel Talia (76*)
Failed: James Craig (0)
Don't know yet: Sam Shaw (22*)
Moved: Jack Gunston (79*)

Success: Brodie Smith (76*)
Don't know yet: Jarryd Lyons (22*)

Success: Brad Crouch (25*)
Failed: Nick Joyce (0)
Don't know yet: Mitch Grigg (14*), Cameron Ellis-Yolmen (1*)

Don't know yet: Sam Siggins (0*), Rory Atkins (0*)

Don't know yet: Matt Crouch (8*), Riley Knight (0*)

PS - I wanted to put Grigg and M Crouch in "Success" but restrained myself from using a crystal ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back