Why I remain positive about Geelong!

Remove this Banner Ad

GTOA

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
A lot of negativity has appeared on this board in the last two years, of people lamenting that Geelong are not winning flag after flag. Some blame Chris Scott, some blame the older players.

I actually don't think the future is as bleak as everyone thinks.

Firstly, let's accept that, if the era ended tomorrow, that we have little to complain about. We made hay while the sun shone, and won three flags in our premiership window. I would rather be us than St. Kilda and Bulldogs supporters, who didn't win one in their premiership window. We were very blessed.

Secondly, despite our injuries and setbacks, we have still made finals.

Many of you lament our 2013 season. But, with virtually no ruckmen, and Tom Hawkins with a bad back, we came within a kick of a GF.

This year, when we were supposed to slide, we had traded off Chapman, Pods and Josh Hunt, yet we still got to the second week of finals with no second tall forward option and getting smashed in clearances every week. We also made finals after winning five games by less than ten points.

This shows me that if we can have an injury free year, we are not too far off making GFs again and possibly winning them.

Also, people say that we will lose most of our premiership heroes, yet we will still get at least another five years out of our captain (Joel Selwood), our key backman (Harry Taylor) and our key forward (Tom Hawkins).Also, if Bartel or Johnson slow down, we can just play them as permanent forwards, and get another year or two out of them. By the time they retire, the new bunch will be ready to take over.

Players like Mitch Duncan is close to getting a hundred games soon. We also have emerging stars like Cameron Guthrie, and I really rate guys like George Horlin-Smith. Murdoch has shown something and I think Kersten, given more time, may pick up the pace and be a handy third option up forward. Also, don't forget Motlop.

Besides, the club must see itself in a premiership window. Why else would they go after Mitch Clark, who is a risky prospect, unless they think he could be the difference to snagging another flag. Remember that the Cats went out and got ruckman-forward Brad Ottens to put them over the edge for a flag. Well, Mitch isn't in the Ottens class, but can play ruck and second key tall, and they recruited him for a reason. You wouldn't get him if you went full rebuild.

Overall, for a team who the media say should have dropped out of the eight years ago, we aren't doing too damn bad. I don't know about you, but I am keeping the faith. Not blind faith, mind you, as I can see some problems. But I think that we are used to be spoiled with success, so we expect more. This next team won't be the once-in-an-era team like the 2007-09-11 teams were, but we can still do pretty damn good and get some more silverware down the Geelong highway. Call me a fool or one-eyed, but I firmly believe that.

Great post GTOA. I have pretty similar thoughts to be honest. I had resigned myself to the fact that I would die before I saw a Geelong premiership after the failed Grand Final attempts in the late 80's and 90's and the middle of the table type results before that. I have been going to games since the mid 70's as a child and fell in love immediately with the game and the Cats. Following them was frustrating at times, but the big wins (even home and away back then) were so sweet to me as we were never really a powerhouse in my time as a kid. Then along came the 80's and one Gary Ablett. I still feel privileged to have watched that man live so many times - I went pretty much every week (most often alone as my bandwagoner family had given up on us by then), travelling by train to Geelong from Melbourne soaking up the atmosphere with every newspaper I could find, a radio and a big smile on my face.

I went to the 89 Grand Final and don't mind admitting I cried after that game - not from being upset or angry, I was just so proud of my team and how close they came. Also went to every final that year and had so many awesome times, almost in disbelief with each win (after the first Ess loss of course) as we drew closer to that Grand Final. The next few years were again awesome in my mind, apart from the Grand Final losses of course. I saw the 92 and 94 Grand Final, but didn't have the heart (or cash) to go to the 95 game, so instead travelled to Geelong to watch it in a pub with like minded people. I'll never forget there was one Carlton supporter there that day and all I can say is he was a very brave man - or stupid.

Then along came the Ayers era which produced a lot of anger from me - never liked the bloke or what he did to our great club, particularly the way he ended so many careers and seemingly without any recognition of their services. After those grand final losses, I really did think that there's no way I am going to see us win one in my lifetime, particularly as we were never a financially stable club in that time and were never able to attract any big name players to our club.

This all changed when along came the junior Ablett's. I was so super excited and really believed we were now going to be some sort of chance, particularly after recruiting so many good players through this period (thank you Stephen Wells, I am in awe of what you have done for this club). The next major thing for me was when Brad Ottens announced he wanted to come to Geelong. I just couldn't believe a great player was wanting to come to us, especially after a broken down Jade Rawlings knocked us back after offering him a limo to training if reports were correct.

Along came 2007 and even though I did not get a ticket in the ballot (my bandwagoner family ALL got tickets incidentally), it was the happiest day of my life. I know it's only footy, but to me my life was now complete. 2009 and 2011 were massive bonuses for me, of which I missed out on tickets yet again (bloody stupid ballot system). And yes, my family all got tickets again :). So from where I sit, I am just so happy with what we have achieved that I don't see the point in getting angry or shitty at the club for not winning another one since. I know they are trying their best and as a supporter, that is all I ask for.

Sure there are some things that we maybe don't do the best, but who cares. We can't win it every year, so as long as they are giving it their all, I am happy. I certainly believe they give their all and I just feel so proud and lucky to have seen these last few years.

Looking to the future, I am pumped about Rhys Stanley and Mitch Clark and even Blease has me a interested to see what he can add to our team. I am really looking forward to next year and think that we have a great chance to win another premiership and if we don't, I won't be burning down my house as, well what's the point of that, as then I'd be homeless.

Apologies for the long post, I didn't intend writing all the stuff, but it just all came spewing out. I love my Puddy Cats and always will, no matter where they finish.

The major thing holding us back from being really in the mix next year is A graders in the mids. Let's hope wells can put out pick 10 to use and pull out some magic

I think most of the negativity stems from the 1-4 finals record in the past two years and especially straight sets this year. I've been really surprised by how well we've played during the season and we've been up the top for a lot longer than most people expected, just disappointing that we couldn't time our best footy for September.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to win another flag, then another and then more again.

I just don't get angry or frustrated any more and feel very contented. I'm sure the club is still striving to win and that's all that matters to me.

Actually that's not entirely true, I still get angry at losses every now and then, but certainly not to the extent that I used to - I prefer to dwell on positives rather than negatives I guess.

A lot of negativity has appeared on this board in the last two years, of people lamenting that Geelong are not winning flag after flag. Some blame Chris Scott, some blame the older players.

I actually don't think the future is as bleak as everyone thinks.

Firstly, let's accept that, if the era ended tomorrow, that we have little to complain about. We made hay while the sun shone, and won three flags in our premiership window. I would rather be us than St. Kilda and Bulldogs supporters, who didn't win one in their premiership window. We were very blessed.

Secondly, despite our injuries and setbacks, we have still made finals.

Many of you lament our 2013 season. But, with virtually no ruckmen, and Tom Hawkins with a bad back, we came within a kick of a GF.

This year, when we were supposed to slide, we had traded off Chapman, Pods and Josh Hunt, yet we still got to the second week of finals with no second tall forward option and getting smashed in clearances every week. We also made finals after winning five games by less than ten points.

This shows me that if we can have an injury free year, we are not too far off making GFs again and possibly winning them.

Also, people say that we will lose most of our premiership heroes, yet we will still get at least another five years out of our captain (Joel Selwood), our key backman (Harry Taylor) and our key forward (Tom Hawkins).Also, if Bartel or Johnson slow down, we can just play them as permanent forwards, and get another year or two out of them. By the time they retire, the new bunch will be ready to take over.

Players like Mitch Duncan is close to getting a hundred games soon. We also have emerging stars like Cameron Guthrie, and I really rate guys like George Horlin-Smith. Murdoch has shown something and I think Kersten, given more time, may pick up the pace and be a handy third option up forward. Also, don't forget Motlop.

Besides, the club must see itself in a premiership window. Why else would they go after Mitch Clark, who is a risky prospect, unless they think he could be the difference to snagging another flag. Remember that the Cats went out and got ruckman-forward Brad Ottens to put them over the edge for a flag. Well, Mitch isn't in the Ottens class, but can play ruck and second key tall, and they recruited him for a reason. You wouldn't get him if you went full rebuild.

Overall, for a team who the media say should have dropped out of the eight years ago, we aren't doing too damn bad. I don't know about you, but I am keeping the faith. Not blind faith, mind you, as I can see some problems. But I think that we are used to be spoiled with success, so we expect more. This next team won't be the once-in-an-era team like the 2007-09-11 teams were, but we can still do pretty damn good and get some more silverware down the Geelong highway. Call me a fool or one-eyed, but I firmly believe that.

Don't worry I'm pretending the semi final loss in Duncan's 100th game didn't exist too and he is still on 99 ;)

Last time we beat Hawthorn, and that is my gold standard win, we had Burbury, Varcoe, THunt, Simpson and HMc all playing. We have decided our list can be improved by releasing at least 3 of those players- Simpson's role is ??, so I'm thinking anything can happen in 2015 and that we are capable of anything, good included.

But those 4 first mentioned players, when firing, were influential the last time we beat the back to backers. Interesting? If our MC believes our list has now been improved, how can we not be positive about the future?
We are all guessing and hoping, but I'd be pretty convinced no opposition team is going to be writing down Geelong as a WILL WIN game. We are NOW possibly the most unpredictable team in the comp, and that means there is every likelihood we can finish top 4 again. Our inclusions are exciting at worst, as long as they are healthy, so this season coming for me, despite no Varcoe, TH, Burbury, is one of definite "can't wait to see what's in store".

The major thing holding us back from being really in the mix next year is A graders in the mids. Let's hope wells can put out pick 10 to use and pull out some magic
It was a shortfall this year but we are not necessarily out of the mix this year. We have Selwood and Johnson when fit who are both in te top 10 mids in the comp. We need one other elite mid to join them. It is possible that one of Caddy, Motlop or Guthrie will rise to the next level. If they do our midfield will be elite again.

It was a shortfall this year but we are not necessarily out of the mix this year. We have Selwood and Johnson when fit who are both in te top 10 mids in the comp. We need one other elite mid to join them. It is possible that one of Caddy, Motlop or Guthrie will rise to the next level. If they do our midfield will be elite again.
Some things about Guthrie earlier this year make me think he will be our next elite mid. He is classy and tough, but just seemed to run out of legs- that should improve as he matures into the role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol the optimists at it again

flags are hard to win you can't have a bit each way, you rebuild hard or you get stuck floating around the top 4-6 with no chance of winning a flag

we are having an each way bet again and will probably be in the wilderness for another decade at least

1/4 - 1/3rd of our team is basically dead wood, going to take a long time to turn them over

We're a fair way behind the pack with many holes in our list or about to be in our list.
And yet we finished equal 1st on points at the end of H & A. Yes there were some glaring holes to fix, but there is an enormous amount of upside.
If 50% of the players below perform to or above expectation, we will be very, very threatening and a whole lot more balanced.

Clark
Stanley
GHS
Smedts
Menzel
Vardy
Simpson
McCarthy
Murdoch
Caddy
Cowan
Bews
Thurlow
Walker
Blicavs
Kersten

That is a pretty significant group of players who either weren't at the club, were gifted a fair amount of AFL games to fast-track their development (I'm thinking Murdoch, Blicavs and to some degree GHS) or who under performed or were injured. Considering we dumped or retired 10 players, most of whom were seen as list-cloggers, then the club has made a very clear decision that those remaining have the ability to impact at AFL level (Smedts, Cowan, Menzel, McCarthy).
Players we may expect could drop off this year could be Kelly, Stokes and maybe Mackie, but I don't expect them to walk off the face of the earth. All played some very good football in 2014. I've left Enright off that list as I believe he's still performing at an elite level. Rivers and Lonners seem pretty comfy in their respective roles and are not overtly athletic or high-maintenence.
Add to that, that we would expect a smokey to appear out of either our Top 10 Draft pick and players like Kolo, Hartman, Lang, Jansen etc and I see much reason for tempered optimism in 2015.

lol the optimists at it again...

1/4 - 1/3rd of our team is basically dead wood, going to take a long time to turn them over

Really Cynical?

I'm going to go through our list and classify players as either:-
1: Would be in any AFL teams best 22
2: Consistent Contributers
3: Developing Contributers
4: Deadwood or Yet breakout
5: Unknown/New to Team/LTI

I know you might not agree with all of my labels but I still think you will agree that we will not end up with

No Name Games Age
2 Smedts, Billie 33 22yr (Deadwood or Yet to breakout)
3 Bartel, Jimmy 272 30yr (Best 22)
4 Mackie, Andrew 220 30yr (Best 22)
6 McCarthy, Lincoln 5 21yr (Deadwood or Yet to breakout)
7 Taylor, Harry 159 28yr (Best 22)
8 Kolodjashnij, Jake 0 19yr (Unknown)
9 Kelly, James 256 30yr (Consistent Contributers)
10 Menzel, Daniel 21 23yr (Unknown)
11 Lang, Darcy 1 18yr (Deadwood or Yet to breakout)
11 Clark, Mitchell 97 27yr (Unknown)
13 Lonergan, Tom 145 30yr (Best 22)
14 Selwood, Joel 184 26yr (Best 22)
16 Simpson, Dawson 24 25yr (Deadwood or Yet to breakout)
17 Blease, Sam 33 23yr (Unknown)
17 McIntosh, Hamish 126 30yr (Deadwood or Yet to breakout)
18 Cowan, Josh 3 23yr (Unknown)
20 Johnson, Steve 233 31yr (Best 22)
21 Murdoch, Jordan 42 22yr (Developing Contributors)
22 Duncan, Mitchell 100 23yr (Developing Contributors)
23 Caddy, Josh 58 22yr (Developing Contributors)
24 Bews, Jed 7 20yr (Developing Contributors)
25 Rivers, Jared 182 30yr (Consistent Contributors)
26 Hawkins, Tom 147 26yr (Best 22)
27 Stokes, Mathew 175 29yr (Consistent Contributors)
28 Stanley, Rhys 58 23yr (Unknown)
29 Guthrie, Cameron 64 22yr (Developing Contributors)
30 Vardy, Nathan 21 23yr (Unknown)
32 Motlop, Steven 68 23yr (Developing Contributors)
33 Horlin-Smith, George 32 21yr (Developing Contributors)
34 Walker, Joshua 17 22yr (Developing Contributors)
35 Jansen, Jarrad 0 19yr (Unknown)
36 Hartman, Bradley 5 20yr (Unknown)
37 Luxford, Michael 0 19yr (Unknown)
39 Kersten, Shane 9 21yr (Developing Contributors)
40 Thurlow, Jackson 10 20yr (Developing Contributors)
41 Toohey, James 0 20yr (Unknown)
43 Bates, Zachary 0 19yr (Unknown)
44 Enright, Corey 288 33yr (Best 22)
46 Blicavs, Mark 45 23yr (Developing Contributers)

Okay now lets to a tally

8 Players who would be best 22 at any club
3 Consistent Contributors
11 Developing Contributors (some of who are already nearly elite)

So that is 22 players right there.

That is a whole football team.

And that is without including the players who are unknown and could yet prove to be in any of the above categories also (some we know will be if they can get fit)

So I think you are being very Cynical saying that a quarter of our team are deadwood.

Really Cynical?

I know you might not agree with all of my labels but I still think you will agree that we will not end up with

No Name Games Age

Okay now lets to a tally

And that is without including the players who are unknown and could yet prove to be in any of the above categories also (some we know will be if they can get fit)

So I think you are being very Cynical saying that a quarter of our team are deadwood.
Duncan, Motlop, Rivers and Guthrie are all best 22 in every other team in the comp when fit. Motlop is probably in every other teams top 10. Matt Spangher is in Hawthorns best 22.

Duncan, Motlop, Rivers and Guthrie are all best 22 in every other team in the comp when fit. Motlop is probably in every other teams top 10. Matt Spangher is in Hawthorns best 22.

I was being very conservative. I happen to agree with you, but I figured my point was better made if I took a conservative approach.

Really Cynical?

No Name Games Age

Okay now lets to a tally

I'll go through it by age, anyone who has 1-2 years left and is well past their best I consider dead wood.

Enright
Johnson (running on empty)
Bartel
Kelly
Mackie
HMac
Simpson (cooked)
Blease (Melbourne spuds don't turn into gold)
Cowan (im hopeful but realistically he is 30% of making it)
Vardy (injury prone same odds as Cowan)
Menzel (10% chance)
Smedts (not really up to it)
Walker (Henry Playfair without a spot next year)

That's 13 players and I generously didn't throw in Rivers or Lonners. Stokes wasn't too far off and the jury is out on Clark.

Just too many old and always injured players on our list to contend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back