Opinion 2014 Draft ( Live discussion ) Mod notice post #6629

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the history on Boekhorst?

Did he come to football late, didn't quite have the drive previously or just simply matured ?
He played volleyball but I'm not sure if that is the reason and if it interfered with his footy.

I wonder what Knightmare thinks about Hine wanting him. Probably changing his rankings right now.

Whos leaking all the news on us?

It's pretty disappointing that the interest Cripps leaked last year.

What if we were in a situation where we had pick 30 and a club had pick 28 and 32, they might like the player we like at their 32 but take him early as the news of who we want keeps getting leaked.

The club would have leaked Cripps' name last year.

Imagine if all the fans had an idea of the top dozen or so names that we could snare with the prized 13th pick, only to have a name nobody had heard of read out, supporters would have been, "who?!", "Rogers is worse than Hughes!", "Club is a shambles" and this forum would have melted

Would be happy with Menadue and Boekhorst @ 19 and 28.

Getting really excited for the draft now !!!!
Thats some serious speed!

I trust Rogers, however if one of R & D McKenzie, Blakely, Mendadue were there at 28 and we passed i would be questioning the decision. I havent seen much of Boekhorst but i am confident all 4 of the above are going to be quality footballers

With the de-listing of Robinson and Waite walking away we are thread bare in terms of aggression on the list. Now there is only really Bell who is naturally aggressive and likes to through his weight around.

Would we consider Clem Smith at 28? It might be a bit early but I can't see him still being there in the 60s. Has some serious deficiencies with his fitness but love the way he goes about it.

Why would some of us be worried if Boekhorst was deemed to be a top 30 player in this draft?
Is it because we know something the recruiters don't, or maybe because he's not shiny and new at 21 years of age?

I'm interested in his background as that may help us understand why we rate him highly.
Collingwood & Fremantle between them, have 4 picks before our #61, so if they're keen he won't get to our preferred late picks.

If we do pull the trigger at #28, it would likely be that he's good to go from day 1 and we won't need to put 2-3 years of development into him.

Why would some of us be worried if Boekhorst was deemed to be a top 30 player in this draft?
Is it because we know something the recruiters don't, or maybe because he's not shiny and new at 21 years of age?

I'm interested in his background as that may help us understand why we rate him highly.
Collingwood & Fremantle between them, have 4 picks before our #61, so if they're keen he won't get to our preferred late picks.

If we do pull the trigger at #28, it would likely be that he's good to go from day 1 and we won't need to put 2-3 years of development into him.
I think most importantly, we'll only take Boekhorst if he is next on our rankings list @ pick 28. Rogers gave a detailed insight into how we do things on draft night. He said they go by a predetermined list and just pick the next player - the best available. If Boekhorst is that player then there really shouldn't be so much hysteria.

Unless there are posters here that have put more hours in than our full time recruiting team and interviewed more than 170 times....then by all means go ahead and complain.

What's wrong with Boekhorst at 28? If Rogers rates him there then go for it. There's been plenty of good state league footballers come in as mature agers. With the Herald Sun's and Pelchen's latest whispers my phantom now looks like:

1. Saints........Petracca
2. Melb ..........Brayshaw
3. Melb ..........McCartin
4. GWS ..........Pickett
5. C’wood ......De Goey
6. GWS ..........Laverde
7. GWS ..........Lever
8. G.C. ............Duggan
9. C’wood .......Moore
10. G’long ......Wright
11. W.C. .......Ahern
12. R’mond ....Marchbank
13. Freo .........Garlett
14. Adel .........Durdin
15. G.C. .........Langford
16. North .......Weller
17. E’don .......Garlett
18. Syd ..........Heeney
19.C’ton ........Menadue
20. E’don .......Goddard

Then Ellis, Viojo Rainbow, Miller, Cockatoo etc etc...

#19................Menadue

#28................Boekhorst

You have Garlett twice in your top 20. Freo at 13 and Essendon at 17.

I think what happens in these instances is that some people have already developed in their minds who they want, as the names have been floating around for some time now, so when an outsider comes into discussions, they surely can't be as good as the top 30 they've already done their homework on.

I think we're already getting some feel who we may not rate at #25 and lower (Heeney, Moore & Steele are already taken)
Start taking into account what Rogers has been saying and the list starts to take some shape.

I can comfortably say that I have not met with the potential draftees over 170 times, nor watched countless U18 games (none in fact) so based on my completely uneducated opinion, if Boekhorst is seen to give our team the best value/outcome at 28, then I'll sleep okay at night.

Last edited:
I hope we draft Jack Lonie with one of our pics. I saw highlights of him and he looks like a really good player. Reminds me of Hayden Ballantyne. I don't understand why people rate Mclean higher than Lonie. Lonie looks much better then Mclean. I wouldnt be upset if we drafted Lonie at 28. People may think that's a reach and too high drafting him at 28 but fills a need and don't think he will be available at our third pick. Plus I am pretty sure Lonie is a Carlton suppporter too. :D

I hope we draft Jack Lonie with one of our pics. I saw highlights of him and he looks like a really good player. Reminds me of Hayden Ballantyne. I don't understand why people rate Mclean higher than Lonie. Lonie looks much better then Mclean. I wouldnt be upset if we drafted Lonie at 28. People may think that's a reach and too high drafting him at 28 but fills a need and don't think he will be available at our third pick. Plus I am pretty sure Lonie is a Carlton suppporter too. :D

Lonie really took my eye through the finals as a player that could step up in the big league.
On limited viewing only, I'd take him over McLean but neither at #28. Doubt we'll see those boys.........but who knows?

BTW talk is of Boekhorst being of quality character which should come as no surprise if we're that keen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he's like his cousins, he'll be a mad Collingwood supporter.

Lonie is a Blues supporter, I believe but traditionally pure smalls don't go top 30 and often drift to late-rookie. I can see us picking up Ahmed Saad or Lonie with our first in the rookie draft if not at 65. McLean (dont quote me) has slightly more midfield potential... so less one dimensional.

Could see the following occuring:

19. Weller
28. D McKenzie
61. Lonie/Boekhorst
65. Wilkinson

Have re-jigged my Top 20 and will edit initial post in that thread... but knowing me it'll change in 20 mins.

The club would have leaked Cripps' name last year.

Imagine if all the fans had an idea of the top dozen or so names that we could snare with the prized 13th pick, only to have a name nobody had heard of read out, supporters would have been, "who?!", "Rogers is worse than Hughes!", "Club is a shambles" and this forum would have melted

You're not seriously suggesting the club would leak a name before the draft just to appease supporters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're not seriously suggesting the club would leak a name before the draft just to appease supporters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since when are we the only club who things get leaked about? Every year the first round is pretty much known before the draft, why is it an issue of someone finds out who we want? I doubt the opposition recruiters don't already know.

Practically none of us have seen him in the flesh, nor heard of him until Carlton's interest was leaked. Cal Twomey has never mentioned him in top 30 dispatches - although he tends to focus on the U18s. So us "armchair experts" can only go by his 'draft machine footage'. He has good evasion, a nice kick. But he didn't seem to win much contested footy, tackle nor spoil - whether that's just selected highlights, I dunno.

The drafting strategy is clear - trade for 3 blokes, pick up a delisted free agent, draft a discard in the PSD and a 21yo WAFL player - that's 6 new recruits for Round 1. So I won't be disappointed if we pick him at 28 but I wonder if he'd still be there at 46 if we hadn't traded for Liam.

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. We miss out on a prospective long term 'gun' 18 year old is all.

#inrogerswetrust

Clubs go to extremes now with the background checks and interviews (families, school teachers, club and state coaches and officials plus any other contacts they can find). I think it's more likely a bit of information about a club registering their interest in a player gets passed on by one of these parties than a club deliberately leaking information.

GoDoggies reckons we're looking at Jayden Foster with a late pick or as a rookie. Hope you don't mind me tagging you in here but I'm sure some may have questions given he's not particularly well known.

19 year old KPF - 194cm tall.

Sidelined for more than three months last year with a stress fracture in his foot, Foster returned as an over-age player with the Calder Cannons in the TAC Cup this year and quickly showed his skills in the forward line. A 194cm weapon, the son of former Western Bulldog Peter Foster kicked 49 goals in 16 matches, adding 10 possessions and four marks per game. The Dogs decided against nominating Foster as a father-son pick.

GoDoggies reckons we're looking at Jayden Foster with a late pick or as a rookie. Hope you don't mind me tagging you in here but I'm sure some may have questions given he's not particularly well known.

Bret Anderson or Nigel Carmody mentioned that on SEN last night.

Would be a good speculative pick at 61, 65 or hopefully Rookie Draft.

He has a late bloomer type like his old man. Leading goal-kicker in the TAC Cup but is more a lead up forward than a big pack mark dominating one. Would be a good rookie pick, wouldn't need to use more than that I'd think.

Has been to Carlton a couple of times and did some physical testing. All about how high you rate him and who else is still available. Freo would be he main danger of drafting him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back