Mega Thread 2015 Pre-Season Training Reports #ffcpreseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The annual Silent Alarm pessimism during pre season. Nobody is overreacting here or saying things like "players x, y and z are training the house down!!"
Come on...
Why go into a season with your hopes up only to be dissapointed at the end?(Been there done that).
Better to go into a season with low expectations and if the season exceeds your expectations, you will be screaming the house down with euphoria!

Come on...
Why go into a season with your hopes up only to be dissapointed at the end?(Been there done that).
Better to go into a season with low expectations and if the season exceeds your expectations, you will be screaming the house down with euphoria!

Thanks captain optimism !!

Not that number Hurley. Still much to learn

B27vXAxCcAAW1rF.jpg:large

Really encouraging to see the development of Tabs.

On another note, is there training today? Anyone end up going? I need my fix man!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that number Hurley. Still much to learn

B27vXAxCcAAW1rF.jpg:large

Not surprised that Tabs has pulled out all stops and worked uber hard during the break. I read somewhere that he is quite hardworking and focused trainer - apparently spent all his holidays last year running like a madman so he could come back strong the next season. I reckon that's part of what Ross rates in the guy. I hope he carries his late season confidence from last year into this season, even if his finals run was lackluster. He really needs to step up and be a tall foil for Pav.

What days are training during the pre-season? Will the Saturday sessions start now or after the older guys have come back?

Not surprised that Tabs has pulled out all stops and worked uber hard during the break. I read somewhere that he is quite hardworking and focused trainer - apparently spent all his holidays last year running like a madman so he could come back strong the next season. I reckon that's part of what Ross rates in the guy. I hope he carries his late season confidence from last year into this season, even if his finals run was lackluster. He really needs to step up and be a tall foil for Pav.

What days are training during the pre-season? Will the Saturday sessions start now or after the older guys have come back?

Training will usually be Mon, Wednesday and Friday.

Taberner is looking quite the prospect. If you took his highlights from the AFL last year along with his fitness benchmarks and put him in this years draft he'd go a hell of a lot higher than the rookie draft. What really impressed me last year was his ability to get on his own or in a position to mark the ball around goal. His lead-up work is great but its taking those marks in the goal square that really make him look like a forward.

The annual Silent Alarm pessimism during pre season. Nobody is overreacting here or saying things like "players x, y and z are training the house down!!"
I'm just saying, keep a relative level of expectation or else you're no better than the West and Eagles' fans you end up having a go at.

And so far, considering we've underachieved (no flag), for two seasons, my pessimism has been right on.

I'm just saying, keep a relative level of expectation or else you're no better than the West and Eagles' fans you end up having a go at.

And so far, considering we've underachieved (no flag), for two seasons, my pessimism has been right on.

Mind you - I reckon we could win the flag, have Pav as AA captain, 6 players in the AA team, Fyfe win the Brownlow, Norm Smith, Doig, MVP, and AFLCA in one season - and you'd still be unhappy :p

Most years turn out not quite as intended - doesn't stop people getting excited about New Years :p Enjoy the unsubstantiated optimism while we can

Taberner is looking quite the prospect. If you took his highlights from the AFL last year along with his fitness benchmarks and put him in this years draft he'd go a hell of a lot higher than the rookie draft. What really impressed me last year was his ability to get on his own or in a position to mark the ball around goal. His lead-up work is great but its taking those marks in the goal square that really make him look like a forward.

He missed a dead setter in the goal square in the Sydney Final.

I was back in Australia for the Port game at Subi (the one we won). I remember when seeing him live how good he was below his feet for a big lad.

I was back in Australia for the Port game at Subi (the one we won). I remember when seeing him live how good he was below his feet for a big lad.
That is the aspect of his game that I first noticed at pre-season training when he first came to the club. I remember they had him and Howson and a couple of other of the big lads doing drills gathering the ball off the ground and giving off by hand and Tabs seemed so much more nimble and coordinated compared to the rest. I remember noting this in a training report I wrote at the time.
Alex Pearce looks good in this area too.

Mind you - I reckon we could win the flag, have Pav as AA captain, 6 players in the AA team, Fyfe win the Brownlow, Norm Smith, Doig, MVP, and AFLCA in one season - and you'd still be unhappy :p

Most years turn out not quite as intended - doesn't stop people getting excited about New Years :p Enjoy the unsubstantiated optimism while we can
I just want a flag.

I don't know why that's such a ludicrous standard. Especially after top four finishes and 20 years of nothing.

And a coach on, what, a million bucks a year?

I just want a flag.

I don't know why that's such a ludicrous standard. Especially after top four finishes and 20 years of nothing.

And a coach on, what, a million bucks a year?

It's not ludicrous, it's fair enough.

Some of us have a lot of s**t to talk while pretending to work though, it's nice to speculate about the promise a new year brings without injections of pessimism in a training thread.

Sure but he got into the right position to take it uncontested. Not an easy thing to do in Sydney's defensive zone. He clunked a few this year too.
He seems to have a good knack for getting to the right spot which shows a bit of footy nous.

I would rather have him in our side than not. That dropped mark in the square last year was costly. The fact is, Pav was right behind him and would have eaten the ball had Tabs not been there. The look on Pav's face said it all when the ball went straight through Matt's arms. We were starting a bit of a run too IIRC.
But, he will learn from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back