Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - Who will we draft? edition

Pick 11 - Who will it be

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is Weller though. I don't particularly want Ahern at 11, but i just can't see the justification for why everyone is so against him.
That's the big knock on both those two, good footballers but at that size they'll be pushed off it by bigger mids.

So is Weller though. I don't particularly want Ahern at 11, but i just can't see the justification for why everyone is so against him.
My issue isn't with Ahern (or Duggan) as players - but rather what they'd add to the side. Masten was considered the second best midfielder in the draft pool, yet now he's relegated as a flanker who averages just over 1.5 clearances per match and more than double UP/CP ratio across his 118 game career.

Now put him in another side and Masten would be a really handy player, but he's not really doing much for us. What does this have to do with anything? Well I can't help but worry that these smallish 'silky' flankers are the types that can look great in sides with solid midfield bases, but they can't be expected to drag a side off the canvas and win matches.

The fact that Masten was a strong contested player at U/18 level makes me worry that the bigger bodies and less time to react at AFL level might negate the 'silk' of the smaller framed types like Ahern and Duggan (who seem capable but not strong contested players).

Ahern at least has pace, but unless he uses it it'll be a long time before he can start to help our midfield problem. Duggan I feel will basically replace Bennell or Sheppard and might not ever spend significant time in the middle, and I'm really sceptical of the whole 'he's not quick, but seems to make up for it with smarts' thing.

I will be ropable if Pickett, Laverde, DeGoey, and Cockortwo are all gone by our pick
I reckon Cockatoo will be available but I can't see us picking him. Prepare for disappointment if you think we'll suddenly take a risk with our first pick, as much as I'd love him in the wings.

It's unlikely but possible...
1) Petracca
2) Brayshaw
3) McCartin
4) Pickett
5) Langford
6) Goddard
7) Ahern
8) Duggin
9) Moore
10) Wright/Lever/De Goey
11) Laverde :eek:

Having said that if he was too slide past GWS one would expect Gold Coast to take him at #8, but they have been strongly linked to Duggin.

why would the pies take langford over laverde?

why would the pies take langford over laverde?

tumblr_lwcaabfTnv1qgfo14o1_500.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting. Also, people seem to be locking in Goddard to GWS rather than Wright or Lever - is this a thing?

Geez man, you gotta learn to elaborate. Why come?

Was a short question so I gave a short answer, well hes not a midfielder for a start and Don't really want to use pick 11 on a project player, and like Cockatoo he hasn't played alot of footy this year , then there's the knee reconstruction, I do rate him but really think we can get a quality midfielder in this draft instead of a project defender !

Was a short question so I gave a short answer, well hes not a midfielder for a start and Don't really want to use pick 11 on a project player, and like Cockatoo he hasn't played alot of footy this year , then there's the knee reconstruction, I do rate him but really think we can get a quality midfielder in this draft instead of a project defender !

Is he really a project defender? I think he could come straight in and be a 3rd tall in the McGovern vein, meaning Turbo Shooter McLuvn (height unknown) can own CHF. Potentially has been talked up as developing into a mid and has great leadership potential. One of those guy that if he wasn't injured we'd never get a sniff at.

Did you ever play against him?

Not many KPPs can come straight in especially those coming off an ACL.

Not many KPPs can come straight in especially those coming off an ACL.
Agreed. But we're not really drafting for next year it's 3 or 4 years down the track so a player like lever who is quality would still have some attraction for us if he was still on the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back