Port faces 2Mil loss. What the?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he said the SANFL were responsible for looking after Grassroots footy. Port and the Crows certainly aren't and neither is any AFL club. In fact all AFL clubs could not possibly do less for Grass roots football.
The AFL are also doing nothing.

So who do you think should be looking after grass roots football?

Port was actually the only club in the AFL running teams from junior grade all the way through to AFL level last year. We also had development zones that were widely lauded as the best run in the state through the magpies.

The SANFL has forced us to disband our juniors and stripped the zones from us and redistributed them to the other teams, some of which have admitted they won't be able to service them as Port were. So yeah we were until the SANFL forced us to stop.

My point wasn't that the SANFL aren't "looking after" grassroots footy, just that perhaps they aren't doing that great a job of it, as the AFL.com article is suggesting.

Port was actually the only club in the AFL running teams from junior grade all the way through to AFL level last year. We also had development zones that were widely lauded as the best run in the state through the magpies.

The SANFL has forced us to disband our juniors and stripped the zones from us and redistributed them to the other teams, some of which have admitted they won't be able to service them as Port were. So yeah we were until the SANFL forced us to stop.

My point wasn't that the SANFL aren't "looking after" grassroots footy, just that perhaps they aren't doing that great a job of it, as the AFL.com article is suggesting.

The reality is mate that no one cares about grass roots footy, the AFL have sold it to the majority that footy is simply one comp and the rest are not worth worrying about.
You are one of the lucky ones who has your club in the AFL, most of us outside of Victoria had to find a new club to support if we wanted to watch the highest level. Meanwhile the clubs in our heart who we grew up following and admiring are doing it tough and slowly but surely heading for death. No one seems to care and that makes me pretty sad.

The reality is mate that no one cares about grass roots footy, the AFL have sold it to the majority that footy is simply one comp and the rest are not worth worrying about.
You are one of the lucky ones who has your club in the AFL, most of us outside of Victoria had to find a new club to support if we wanted to watch the highest level. Meanwhile the clubs in our heart who we grew up following and admiring are doing it tough and slowly but surely heading for death. No one seems to care and that makes me pretty sad.

The truth of the matter is the SA AFL clubs are generating and happy to provide more than enough money to run grassroots footy in the state and have been for over 20 years. What they aren't happy about is being fleeced by the very body they have propped up for that time to their own detriment.

The crows should be a powerhouse of the competition, up there alongside West Coast for revenue and profitability. The facts are after record memberships, attendances and selling all their corporate facility they are only just going to break even.

There is something very wrong with that.

The truth of the matter is the SA AFL clubs are generating and happy to provide more than enough money to run grassroots footy in the state and have been for over 20 years. What they aren't happy about is being fleeced by the very body they have propped up for that time to their own detriment.

The crows should be a powerhouse of the competition, up there alongside West Coast for revenue and profitability. The facts are after record memberships, attendances and selling all their corporate facility they are only just going to break even.

There is something very wrong with that.

Here it goes again on comparing the Crows with West Coast

The last figures we saw on Membership had

West coast with 43K members paying $16 M in membership

Crows 44K members paying $7.4 M in membership

The crows don't have the ability to compete with the West Coast because they wont charge their members the same $, throw that extra $8.6 M in membership $ into the crows financials and how much profit would they have made.

The SANFL kept claiming they backed the AO move as long as they were no worse off.

Several $million more revenue from stadium returns.
Guaranteed repayments for licence buybacks totalling over 15 $million.
Added exposure and revenue for the SANFL with AFL reserves sides.
Tens of $millions (maybe even 100+) worth of land that can now be sold, thanks to AO move.

No worse off? The last 12 months have been a river of gold for the SANFL, more money and with no responsibility.

The crows don't have the ability to compete with the West Coast because they wont charge their members the same $, throw that extra $8.6 M in membership $ into the crows financials and how much profit would they have made.

Yes and you are being disingenuous again.

Those are last years figures, the Crows are set to make a lot more this year.

Just to break even.

Seriously, just give up, Mattrox has bashed you pillar to post over on the Crows board and you are just looking silly now.

Yes and you are being disingenuous again.

Those are last years figures, the Crows are set to make a lot more this year.

Just to break even.

Seriously, just give up, Mattrox has bashed you pillar to post over on the Crows board and you are just looking silly now.

Mattrox said the only reason the crows couldn't compete was the WA economy was too strong, when you make a BS statement just back it up. Do you think the crows will get anywhere near $16 Million with 10K more members simple maths my good fellow!

Mattrox said the only reason the crows couldn't compete was the WA economy was too strong, when you make a BS statement just back it up. Do you think the crows will get anywhere near $16 Million with 10K more members simple maths my good fellow!

I responded to your post this has nothing to do with Mattrox. Just you playing weasel words again.

Why don't we compare them with the mighty Collingwood? Last year they were approaching 80k in membership and their membership revenue was just shy of $10.5 mill. They seem to be killing it on these numbers.

Here we go again. Retort with the distort. You've been shown up numerous times. How bout you actually compare the whole stadium revenue rather than taking a limited set of qualifying criteria?

Why not add the revenue that WCE make from the best seats in the house?
Why not add the revenue made from the ground advertising that the AFL clubs didnt have at AAMI?
Why not add the corporate inventory (corporate boxes etc) that the WCE get to keep and the crows dont have access to
Why not add the f&b revenue that WCE get to keep, completely.

Youre probably still trying to learn what google is and trying to find who claimed that football would get a decent uplift at AO and should in fact go there.

Here, ill give you another hand.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...at-adelaide-oval/story-e6frecj3-1225903680004

Have a read of that and tell me who makes the relevant claims of uplift.

But nah, charge double the prices like WCE do and you'll break even Port/Crows. You are a broken record.

The thing is the SANFL dont care about their clubs either. They would much rather throw parties for one another and pocket the rest. Average SANFL player makes less than $3,000 a year.

The thing is the SANFL dont care about their clubs either. They would much rather throw parties for one another and pocket the rest. Average SANFL player makes less than $3,000 a year.

Mate there are probably 10 blokes on every AFL list that are not worth $3000 per year. What players earn is not relevant. I think the SANFL do care about their clubs, it is Port Adelaide who don't and it is the Crows who don't. And you two clubs more than anyone need to care,respect and make sure SA footy is always the first priority. Something which clearly has been lost on both clubs and especially Port Adelaide and its supporters.

Mate there are probably 10 blokes on every AFL list that are not worth $3000 per year. What players earn is not relevant. I think the SANFL do care about their clubs, it is Port Adelaide who don't and it is the Crows who don't. And you two clubs more than anyone need to care,respect and make sure SA footy is always the first priority. Something which clearly has been lost on both clubs and especially Port Adelaide and its supporters.
We had some of the best junior development programs in the state but the SANFL decided to force us to scrap them...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MMMM Pocket the rest for a non profit organisation, please help me with that one?

Google is your friend, bub:

A nonprofit organization (NPO) is an organization that uses surplus revenues to achieve its goals rather than distributing them as profit or dividends.[1][2]

Although nonprofit organizations are permitted to generate surplus revenues, they must be retained by the organization for its self-preservation, expansion, or plans.[3] NPOs have controlling members or a board of directors. Many have paid staff including management, whereas others employ unpaid volunteers and even executives who work with or without compensation (occasionally nominal).[4] Where there is a token fee, in general, it is used to meet legal requirements for establishing a contract between the executive and the organization.

Designation as a nonprofit does not mean that the organization does not intend to make a profit, but rather that the organization has no owners and that the funds realized in the operation of the organization will not be used to benefit any owners. The extent to which an NPO can generate surplus revenues may be constrained or use of surplus revenues may be restricted.

So yeah, pocket the rest. Or rather, keep it in the bank so it can accumulate interest and they can bump up their salaries accordingly while claiming 'self-preservation'.

Google is your friend, bub:

So yeah, pocket the rest. Or rather, keep it in the bank so it can accumulate interest and they can bump up their salaries accordingly while claiming 'self-preservation'.

Are you guys sure, you aren't from the USA and aren't part of one of those conspiracy theory cults that you see. Its like the whole world is being destroyed by the SANFL because of this mind blowing power they have over everyone to get what they want. You think its purely to increase the salaries of 4 or 5 guys at the top who you seem to think are making in excess of $1 Million salaries each year? This is friggen hilarious these cults exist in Australia or is it too much weed that is making you a little paranoid?

No. You brought the WA teams into it with "the Crows don't charge enough for memberships" red herring.

1) Our premium memberships are limited because the SMA keep 8000 of them which generate $4.4 which neither club has access to.

2)We could not bear the cost of the rest of the seats at WCE prices. Our economy is different to WA and our demographics are different.

3)I never talked of the notion of "competing with WCE". This is a strawman (again) because the crux of the argument is a fair split of the bigger pie.

Bottom line is that the SA clubs need to be successful at the highest level for sustained periods for the good of SA football. If this happens there will be even more money for the SANFL via AO.

Please provide me with a list of these 10 players from each club which are not worth $3000. And don't come back with a list of 1st to 3rd year players. Also keep in mind that some AFL depth players are Magery Medal quality and would get significantly more than $3000.

Your argument is bullshit.

This is friggen hilarious these cults exist in Australia or is it too much weed that is making you a little paranoid?

This post is projecting yourself onto others. You are part of the SANFL cult who is paranoid that throwing a couple mill back to the clubs will be detrimental to the SANFL. I believe the official name of this cult is "No AFL in SANFL".

The hilarious part is you posted this and I'd be laughing except it is actually a major problem (sect) in SA football.

Last edited by a moderator:
This post is projecting yourself onto others. You are part of the SANFL cult who is paranoid that throwing a couple mill back to the clubs will be detrimental to the SANFL. I believe the official name of this cult is "No AFL in SANFL".

The hilarious part is you posted this and I'd be laughing except it is actually a major problem (sect) in SA football.

Is there really a group called that...wow

No. You brought the WA teams into it with "the Crows don't charge enough for memberships" red herring.

1) Our premium memberships are limited because the SMA keep 8000 of them which generate $4.4 which neither club has access to.

2)We could not bear the cost of the rest of the seats at WCE prices. Our economy is different to WA and our demographics are different.

3)I never talked of the notion of "competing with WCE". This is a strawman (again) because the crux of the argument is a fair split of the bigger pie.

Bottom line is that the SA clubs need to be successful at the highest level for sustained periods for the good of SA football. If this happens there will be even more money for the SANFL via AO.

I didn't bring West Coast up, every other supporter on here wants to compare the AFC with WC and wonder why the WC make 6.6M profit, and its obvious with the fact they sell 43K memberships and net $16 million in 2013 it could be $19m in 2014 but its a s**t load more than the crows and port with less members

So this is the real root of the matter what have the SANFL been doing with all of these millions of so called missing $, because as far as I can see they are running SA footy, are you suggesting this money is going to a cult or they are misspending these so called millions of dollars, because if so I reckon there might have had an enquiry called by now, wouldn't you?.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back