Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - Who will we draft? edition

Pick 11 - Who will it be

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems West Coast are interested in Mitch McGovern to join his brother at the club , however its understood several clubs are interested in Mitch as a second round pick and West coast will need to use there second round pick for Mitch McGovern if he was still available at pick 32 which may not be the case .The clubs interested are St Kilda , GWS , WB and Carlton .

Seems West Coast are interested in Mitch McGovern to join his brother at the club , however its understood several clubs are interested in Mitch as a second round pick and West coast will need to use there second round pick for Mitch McGovern if he was still available at pick 32 which may not be the case .The clubs interested are St Kilda , GWS , WB and Carlton .
geez I hope we don't used our second on him!3rd or 4th maybe but dean gore or another midfield slider like Menadue is much more likely

geez I hope we don't used our second on him!3rd or 4th maybe but dean gore or another midfield slider like Menadue is much more likely

Yes , ... the article in todays West says that originally West Coast were hoping to use a third or four round pick on Mitch but things have changed . I don't think we will get Mitch now but at least we may get another slider with both Boekurst and McGovern rising to second round picks .

As much as I'd love McGovern, I feel pick 32 would be paying overs

Isn't there a consensus within the recruiting community that Mitch has just as much scope for improvement as Jeremy did?

Hard to say he's not worth 32 (which isn't an amazing pick) based on his aerial traits and skill by foot.

He's 6cm shorter than Jeremy
Nobody even knows how tall Jeremy is!

The McGoverns are so good in the air that you can almost add another 4cm to their natural height anyway.

Coffey said McGovern's 193cm frame and raw athletic ability meant he could be moulded into a tall midfielder in the elite AFL ranks.

"He's played most of his footy forward, but given how mobile he is I think you'll see him push further up the ground," Coffey said.

"I think he's what AFL clubs are looking for in terms of his versatility. A guy like that, that size, who can kick it like he can, who has the awareness that he's got, if he's able to roll through a variety of positions it makes it that much more attractive."
From an article earlier this year. Mitch's height may remain a mystery too.

If Mitch eventually played as Jeremy did this year - I would have no hesitation taking him with a second.
That's the thing - if he has the potential to play like Jeremy in the future, and his skill-set says that he does, then 32 would be a fair enough pick to use.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeremy : 195cm/96kg (WCE website)
Mitch : 191cm/84kg (AFL website)

Mitch definitely smaller than Jeremy and not KPP size (3rd tall at best).

Plays bigger than he is though - great leap, marks at the highest point, goes hard at packs.

Brett Burton from Adelaide was only 185cm but his leap and arm length made him seem like he was 190+cm.

Regardless of his height he is a 20yo project player. He was considered undraftable two years ago. Now after 11 games where he averaged 10 possessions, 4 marks and less than 1 goal a game he is now worth pick 32? Take your blinkers off WCE recruiting department.

You would have said the same thing about McGovern 2 years ago (minus the undraftable).

KPP's take longer to mature - especially chubbier ones who came from the country who haven't been in the elite system as juniors.

Players are getting taller though. Ten years ago 181cm for a mid would have been considered normal now it's short. 192cm would be considered normal for a KPP now guys that size are being looked at in midfield roles - Lever for example at 193 is being talked of having an ability to play as a big bodied mid

At 191 Mitch isn't going to be able to play on a 196cm forward

That said being classed as a 3rd tall isn't a criticism - gunston is really a 3rd tall as is darling

It was a bonus for us that we got Jeremy in the rookie draft as given what we know now if we had to choose between him and Lycett with pick 29 back in 2010 it would be difficult to split them

Regardless of his height he is a 20yo project player. He was considered undraftable two years ago. Now after 11 games where he averaged 10 possessions, 4 marks and less than 1 goal a game he is now worth pick 32? Take your blinkers off WCE recruiting department.
If Mitch has the same untapped natural ability that Jeremy had at the same age then I'd happily part with 32 for him. I have no idea though if this is the case

Cousins, Kerr both 179cm and less would still dominate in the midfield against bigger taller bodies.

Height is important but onyl one factor of perceived success. IMO it is irrelevant when it comes to footy smarts, will and determination.

If Mitch has the same untapped natural ability that Jeremy had at the same age then I'd happily part with 32 for him. I have no idea though if this is the case

I'd rather invest in an u18 player at that pick. I guess the WCE just threw their arms in the air and said 'we are unable to identify a sliding talent' so the MO is take a Claremont player they are familiar with and watch every day.

Cousins, Kerr both 179cm and less would still dominate in the midfield against bigger taller bodies.

Height is important but onyl one factor of perceived success. IMO it is irrelevant when it comes to footy smarts, will and determination.
Agree with this especially when it comes to mids - ability is far more important than size

My main (and only) point is that at 191cm Mitch wouldn't be a KPP like his bigger brother

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back