Australia Test squad - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reckon Wade has done enough in this series to edge ahead for the keeper spot if Haddin doesn't come up. 3 out of the 4 games he's come in under huge pressure and had to basically bat like a Test match. It's a pity he couldn't go on and transform one innings into a big 70-80+ knock, but he's shown alot more fight and guts than alot of other blokes in the top order.

Seems to have sharpened up his keeping too, although he hasn't had to face up to much spin.

I would rather wade gave up the gloves as his keeping to pace never looked bad to me it's spin where he looks all at sea and i don't think he has improved on that front, i think given the chance as a frontline bat at say 6 he would be a decent test bat for us as unlike haddin(recent ashes excluded) wade seems to have the knack of lifting when the team is severely under the pump.

Some will say wade shouldn't be in the running for a top 6 spot, all i can say is if a team can give people like bailey and maxwell top 6 batting spots it can give wade a crack.

Last edited:
I would rather wade gave up the gloves as his keeping to pace never looked bad to me it's spin where he looks all at sea and i don't think he has improved on that front, i think given the chance as a frontline bat at say 6 he would be a decent test bat for us as unlike haddin(recent ashes excluded) wade seems to have the knack of lifting when the team is severely under the pump.

Some will say wade shouldn't be in the running for a top 6 spot, all i can say is if a team can give people like bailey and maxwell top 6 batting spots it can give wade a crack.

I doubt I'll every think he's any good as a keeper, but he could easily be a test class batsman if he gave up the gloves. Got plenty of fight.

CA treat us with such contempt.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-india-2014-15/content/story/801957.html

However, on Friday, CA issued a press release that said Waugh had spoken to Pat Howard, the general manager of team performance, and conceded that he used the wrong terminology by saying the early selection was for marketing when he should have said "logistics". CA also noted the same process had been used ahead of last year's 5-0 Ashes clean-sweep.

"If the selectors feel they need more time to select the squad that option is always there," Howard said.

Mark Waugh: We'd love to select the squad after the last Shield games.
CA: Well if the selectors want the extra time they can always have it
Everyone: So they'll select the squad after the last Shield game?
CA: Pfft no

I can see him being a #6 who averages around 40 at Test level, which is all you expect of your #6 really.

Surely you aren't campaigning for him to be in the test side?
It's not possible now due to lack of games in FC cricket, but he should've been given a good crack at it a long time ago.

Had three consecutive season of 35+ FC wickets, with averages of 17, 25 and 20, and barely sighted in the shield since.

It's gonna be much the same this year. He'll get a few FC coming up when the tests are on, but then we'll roll into ODI's, big bash and he'll be a good shot to make the world cup squad.

Funnily enough his best chance at getting back into the minds of selectors for test cricket will be if he misses the WC squad. When he wasn't picked for the first games in SA I was a bit surprised but he should cement his spot now he is back in.

In a ODI....remind me how picking Bailey off ODI form went again?

Yet you posted this after a T20 game.

Boyce has turned more in this match than Lyon has his whole career! Play him in Brisbane
Surely they have to consider Cummins for the test series

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Marsh and Watson are playing this series, then I'd like to see one of the young leggies given a go at Adelaide or Sydney, in place of one if the pace bowlers. I think Zampa would be ahead of Boyce though.
Zampa's last 2 FC games...

1/145 against Victoria
0/42 and 1/85 against NSW

What has he done exactly to leapfrog Lyon and O'Keefe?

Zampa's last 2 FC games...

1/145 against Victoria
0/42 and 1/85 against NSW

What has he done exactly to leapfrog Lyon and O'Keefe?

I don't want him to take Lyon or O'Keefe's (whoever is in the sides) spot, I'd like to see a young leg spinner given an opportunity as well as us playing our preferred off spinner. I just think their is a lot of upside to leggies and it's a good opportunity to blood one.

I don't want him to take Lyon or O'Keefe's (whoever is in the sides) spot, I'd like to see a young leg spinner given an opportunity as well as us playing our preferred off spinner. I just think their is a lot of upside to leggies and it's a good opportunity to blood one.
Seems a little disrespectful to India to use the series to blood players. I'd prefer we go in with our strongest attack and clean sweep the series.

2 spinners? Nah, we need at least 3 quicks every game. We have to be brutal and win 4-0, and we will do that by playing and preparing pitches to our strengths.

2 spinners? Nah, we need at least 3 quicks every game. We have to be brutal and win 4-0, and we will do that by playing and preparing pitches to our strengths.

That's with Marsh and Watson though.
Seems a little disrespectful to India to use the series to blood players. I'd prefer we go in with our strongest attack and clean sweep the series.
Yeah maybe, and I doubt it would happen, I'd just like to see it.

Good cherry picking of stats. I thought you were better than that
Surely recent form is important, especially for a leg-spinner?

What were Warne's stats leading up to his Test debut? May look them up, genuinely interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back