List Mgmt. 2014 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Judging by this we don't have much interest in Laverde and if we want to make sure we get Pickett then we need to grab him at 4

The Giants have been linked most strongly to four players at their picks: Jarrod Pickett, Hugh Goddard, Jordan De Goey and Paul Ahern. Collingwood have been linked to several, as the Pies always are. Lachie Weller, Jayden Laverde, De Goey and Ahern all seem right in their mix and they have visited Pickett and Kyle Langford in the past week. If they don't choose Laverde, it will be fascinating to see how far down the order he gets, and he may go outside the top 10.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...keys-to-firstround-order-20141121-11rbuh.html

I think it's Collingwood's pick 5 that is really creating this.

From what I can gather from all the speculation our preferred selections are:

4 - Pickett - outside run and X factor
6 - Goddard - Key position defender
7 - De Goey - Inside mid

However Colloingwood are heavily into De Goey and may pull the trigger at 5.

If that happens I think we will change tack and look at Ahern for more speed and X factor or Wright for another tall.

At this stage it looks like our picks are coming from these players.

Not real keen on Da Goey, he has an alleged habit of going missing..
Would also prefer Durdin to Goddard.

Perfect fit for my hopes would be;
Pickett at 4
Laverde at 6 if Pies don't grab him, Durdin if they do.
Durdin at 7 if not taken at 6, Langford if he is.
At 23, as a massive reach we grab Caleb Daniel, kid will be a cult figure at any club that takes him, we need them and we need the publicity.
Conner Blakely if we are being conservative.

Last edited:
At 23 I'm warming to Jack Lonie, he would be s nice point of difference small to work off Jezza, General and co.

Dev is playing that role now but I see Dev playing up the guts more as he has an incredible tank.

Lonie looks like Ballantyne

Lever or Goddard as the KPD you guys select, who is more likely? I would've thought Lever and I rate him far and away better then Goddard (though knee may concern) but it seems Goddard is all the talk at the moment.

Lever or Goddard as the KPD you guys select, who is more likely? I would've thought Lever and I rate him far and away better then Goddard (though knee may concern) but it seems Goddard is all the talk at the moment.

Aside from the knee, a lot to like in Lever, and deffnetly the better of the two. Goddard is taller and will be able to cover the taller forwards. We are thin on tall defenders, so he fills a need. Will be interesting which we take, if either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two players have received late invitations to this week's draft on the Gold Coast, raising the potential for them to be chosen with top-10 selections. Northern Knights forward Kyle Langford and West Adelaide tall Sam Durdin have both been asked to attend the draft, after another handful of players were earlier invited.
Christian Petracca and Paddy McCartin, contenders for St Kilda's No.1 pick, will attend, along with midfield prospects Angus Brayshaw, Jarrod Pickett, Jordan De Goey, Paul Ahern, Jayden Laverde, Liam Duggan and Lachie Weller. Key forward Peter Wright and defensive prospects Hugh Goddard, Jake Lever and Caleb Marchbank have also been invited to the draft, to be held at the Gold Coast convention centre on Thursday night.
http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-n...increases-draft-intrigue-20141123-11s9va.html

Well I'm sold:
Having spent the past four years in the Melbourne Grammar boarding house, the Giants can be confident in his ability to thrive away from home. “I would love it,” Goddard said of his potential move to Western Sydney. “I would be grateful for the opportunity anywhere and GWS are an up and coming club. “I’ve been ready for a while and I just want to get in there (AFL system) and earn the respect of everyone and become a part of it.”
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...top-flight-footy/story-fnau1fjg-1227132337376

Not real keen on Da Goey, he has an alleged habit of going missing..
Would also prefer Durdin to Goddard.

Ahern has an alleged habit of going missing too...
Not keen on either of them really but prefer Ahern.
Goddard over Durdin for me. He's bigger than Davis too. 196cm and 93kg with a wide frame for more weight. I had concerns he was lumbering but several sources say his speed is really good.

Ahern has an alleged habit of going missing too...
Not keen on either of them really but prefer Ahern.
Goddard over Durdin for me. He's bigger than Davis too. 196cm and 93kg with a wide frame for more weight. I had concerns he was lumbering but several sources say his speed is really good.

I think Goddard more than being lumbering he is not very effective in aerial contests as he doesn't get very far off the ground but with his height and wingspan he still seems very effective in the contest and he is a point of difference to tall the 192cms athletic defenders we have. Think he could be ok

I've come around to Pickett and Goddard after more research. Lever would need years to get the weight up.
4 Pickett
6 Goddard
7 Still thinking
Like Connor Blakely and Reece McKenzie but a bit early for both

I've come around to Pickett and Goddard after more research. Lever would need years to get the weight up.
4 Pickett
6 Goddard
7 Still thinking
Like Connor Blakely and Reece McKenzie but a bit early for both

I had a dream last night that we took De Goey at 4 and the there was a hush in the auditorium!!

No disrespect to De Goey but hoping we grab Pickett at 4 because if we don't he will be a Pie!

I think Goddard more than being lumbering he is not very effective in aerial contests as he doesn't get very far off the ground but with his height and wingspan he still seems very effective in the contest and he is a point of difference to tall the 192cms athletic defenders we have. Think he could be ok
Exactly he's ground-bound and down but uses his pace to make a contest and his body to win it. His size 196cm and 93kg gives us a monster marker for the likes of Cloke etc. Lever at 84kg is years away from the weight needed and is supposedly slower.

I had a dream last night that we took De Goey at 4 and the there was a hush in the auditorium!!

No disrespect to De Goey but hoping we grab Pickett at 4 because if we don't he will be a Pie!

Correction:
I had a NIGHTMARE last night that we took De Goey at 4 and the there was a hush in the auditorium!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back