What I Love About the HFC

Remove this Banner Ad

It's been ages since I've posted but I've loved reading all the premiership stuff.

The great thing about this club is that it isn't just against Geelong that we win when it matters, it's in the dna of the club.
12 premierships from 18 grand finals - 66%
24 prelim finals for 18 wins - 75%
Since the prelim final loss in 1977 this club has played in 16 prelim finals for 13 wins - 81.25%.
When it matters!

What I love about HFC is the passion and realism that so many people involved in the club bring. Most know how to win & lose graciously - Clarko's speech post 2012 GF still lives in my mind - I love the people I've met over the years at games, whom I never would have had I not become indoctrinated during prep after Scott Maginness came to my school & his mum not been my teacher. I may never have followed AFL or sport at all.... Scary thought

What I love about HFC is the passion and realism that so many people involved in the club bring. Most know how to win & lose graciously - Clarko's speech post 2012 GF still lives in my mind - I love the people I've met over the years at games, whom I never would have had I not become indoctrinated during prep after Scott Maginness came to my school & his mum not been my teacher. I may never have followed AFL or sport at all.... Scary thought

And how lucky i am, my father is a Saint, luckily i had some very influential Hawks uncles :D Praise the lords

My oldie is a mad Sainter too, and all my family. I still remember changing when I was 7 to the Hawks all them years ago, in 1983. Wise choice :) Felt weird for a week though. Never seen a more shattered bunch in those close St Kilda Grand Final losses. Drunk, out the back yard under the tree. Saints socks taken off and thrown 10 metres whilst I've now experienced 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014. 8 flags in 32 years.

Also, don't underestimate the merger threats in 1996. It really galvanised us, made us more passionate supporters and the experience made us stronger as a club. Just look at Melbourne who chose the easy path.

I love the fact that it's a good club with great values. When I came of an age to start following footy, my dad (a passionate hawks supporter himself) told me to watch a few games and interviews and choose the club that most appealed to me.

I could see the passions for this great club and the people associated with it right from the start. I went back to my dad and told him hawthorn were the team for me. He grinned and said 'knew you'd make the right choice."

The rest, as they say, is history.

I love the fact that it's a good club with great values. When I came of an age to start following footy, my dad (a passionate hawks supporter himself) told me to watch a few games and interviews and choose the club that most appealed to me.

I could see the passions for this great club and the people associated with it right from the start. I went back to my dad and told him hawthorn were the team for me. He grinned and said 'knew you'd make the right choice."

The rest, as they say, is history.
Would be tough living on the street at such a young age if you came back with a different answer.

I love that we remain a beacon of light, success and ethics when much around us is turning to s**t. Especially amongst the traditional Melbourne clubs. The Bummers, pathetic drug cheats and no success for a decade and a half. The stinking Blues, pathetic salary cap cheats and no success for 2 decades. Richmond, perpetual also-rans with no success for more than a generation. 12 flags in the same period of time that the Pies have won 2.

Then of course there's the sticking it up of COLA this year.

No cheating, constant success, dramatically increasing membership and turning massive profits in extremely difficult and competitive times. This club is a true marvel.

I just love the sheer and utter joy that they have given me over the last 40 years.....
Same here, but for me it's been over the last 48 years.
So many great players over those years as well as the 11 premierships I have been privileged to enjoy. And enjoyed I have.
Can't imagine the disappointment supporters of clubs like the Bulldogs and Saints must go through each year. Like I say, I have been privileged to support a great club like Hawthorn.
One must never get arrogant though, as I still remember those mid 60s dark days, when I first started to follow the mighty Hawks.

One would have to wonder. Is this the greatest time in our club's history. If not, it's right up there and has the potential to become our greatest period. That IMHO that would become indisputable if we were to take the premiership next year, and that is certainly possible.

Have to feel for my dad, who followed across from the VFA in 1925 to his passing in 1969. I remember to this day he once said, "We will never be any good." Well, you got that one wrong, dad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One would have to wonder. Is this the greatest time in our club's history. If not, it's right up there and has the potential to become our greatest period. That IMHO that would become indisputable if we were to take the premiership next year, and that is certainly possible.

Have to feel for my dad, who followed across from the VFA in 1925 to his passing in 1969. I remember to this day he once said, "We will never be any good." Well, you got that one wrong, dad.
At least he saw one flag!

I go for Hawthorn because it's my Mum's team, and thankfully she made the right choice - her family all go for Richmond or Collingwood (my great-great uncle was a dual Collingwood premiership player in 1902-03). My old man's family don't really follow the footy, but he was a Melbourne supporter, and my Step-Dad's family are all fanatical Carlton. When I plunked for the Hawks, it was right at the the end of our golden era, and while I can't remember 88 or 89, 91 was the first GF I remember watching (I wanted James Morrissey to win the Norm Smith - I had his number on my back because we have the same surname). I had to endure the wilderness years as I was growing up, and I remember how genuinely scared for our survival I was in 96, with the worst part being that as I was 13-14 at the time, there wasn't anything I could do about it because I couldn't afford to buy a membership. Thankfully we pulled through, and look where we are now (with me able to afford a membership too!).

This happens often, that whenever someone asks me who I support, and I tell them Hawthorn, they make some snide comment about "bandwagon" fans. I know that's not true, because even when it was not fashionable to be a Hawthorn supporter, I was well-known for my pride in the club that always seemed to lose, whether it was the s**t I copped at school in 95 (when we only avoided the wooden spoon because Fitzroy still existed), to going into work in 06 and finding a "Go Dees!" sign plastered over the register after a heavy loss (how has that tide turned!).

But what I really love about the HFC is that I've been able to share my passion with someone else. I failed with one of my brothers, as his Dad got his Carlton claws into him, and my other brother doesn't follow the footy (only a nominal Hawthorn supporter), but I was able to make sure that my sister followed the brown and gold, and she hasn't looked back since. She even made sure that our niece, the daughter of the nominal Hawthorn supporting brother, has had a Hawthorn bomber jacket since she was only a couple of months old (and she is yet to experience a year when Hawthorn aren't premiers!).

Just being able to contemplate the bolded is one of the reasons I love the club!

Even mine is rather old, I like it so much because of all the memories it brings with. Maybe if Hodgey can juggle three cups in October next year, I will have to give serious consideration to an update.
Hodgey can juggle 3 cups, he may need to balance one on his head next October.

Love your avatar too, BTW....

I Love the characters the club has produced.

Arthur
Kennedy Snr
Parkin
Hudson
Crimmins
Scott
Matthews
Tuck
Langford
Dipper
Brereton
Dunstall
Crawford
Mitchell
Hodge
Clarkson

My Dad and my Mums brother are mad Hawks supporters so I was luckily educated on the Hawthorn way early. Now my Daughter is a Hawks supporter (after the Adelaide game this year) and my Son doesn't know it yet but he is a Hawks supporter too. All of us are members here in Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back