WWE Network (On Foxtel, Kayo and Binge)

Do you think you'll get the WWE Network?

• I'll get it

Votes: 69 63.9%
  • I'll pass

Votes: 39 36.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching some Beyond the ring stuff, like the Brock Lesnar one at the moment. Michael Hayes...Does he not realise its scripted or is he just really trying to push that its "real". They way he talks about things like RVD holding his own with Brock (like its a real fight) and the things he said in the Monday Night Wars vids...Im just not sure what to think...

Watching some Beyond the ring stuff, like the Brock Lesnar one at the moment. Michael Hayes...Does he not realise its scripted or is he just really trying to push that its "real". They way he talks about things like RVD holding his own with Brock (like its a real fight) and the things he said in the Monday Night Wars vids...Im just not sure what to think...

Arn Anderson is worse (funnier) with his maintenance of kayfabe.

That being said, you could take the RVD/Lesnar thing as Hayes saying that from a performance perspective it's good/surprising that RVD could make a believeable match with someone like Brock, selling his offense and getting his own stuff in without looking like he's just getting overpowered or beaten up in an extended squash.

My problem with the network is I don't know where to start! I've started watching NXT but also want to get through some early WCW ppvs and ECW Hardcore TV as well as catching up on some old Survivor Series and the Beyond The Ring docos - meanwhile I'm watching 1999 WWF off my hard drive haha

I've been watching a lot of WCW PPVs and I've liked them quite a bit, I can certainly see why there were a lot of WCW only fans. One thing that has annoyed me though is how WCW did their entrances with the music playing for ages before the wrestlers even came out

WCW was a much better product in the early 90s that's why. Just take a look at Bash 92 with that awesome tag tourney. Beach Blast with the Rude/Steamboat 2/3 falls match too. Still nothing beats the vhs copies though haha.

There's something about it that feels really early '90s video store too. Like it's a B-grade straight-to-video action film or something.

BTW, I watched a bit of the Perry Saturn YouShoot interview, where he mentions that towards the end of his WWE tenure, he was pretty much high "24/7". Had a look at his match with Raven from 'Unforgiven 2001' (Saturn's final one-on-one PPV match with WWE) to see an "example" of what he was talking about, and geez, he's either a great actor/seller, or he's totally fried by the finish. Raven looked in better shape body-wise than I ever remember him being in as well (maybe because he very rarely wrestled shirtless), lean and defined.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WCW was a much better product in the early 90s that's why. Just take a look at Bash 92 with that awesome tag tourney. Beach Blast with the Rude/Steamboat 2/3 falls match too. Still nothing beats the vhs copies though haha.

30 minute iron man match, but i agree with you. that period of wcw is one of my favourites in wrestling. extremely underrated.

i remember around a decade ago i was kind of obsessed with owning original vhs copies of old wcw shows. would often spend $40 to $50 each on them

My problem with the network is I don't know where to start! I've started watching NXT but also want to get through some early WCW ppvs and ECW Hardcore TV as well as catching up on some old Survivor Series and the Beyond The Ring docos - meanwhile I'm watching 1999 WWF off my hard drive haha

You know, I commented in this very thread back in August that I couldn't understand why people were complaining about content that isn't there - I also found the amount of content very intimidating.

But it gets better dude. If you're anything like me you probably want to watch stuff that you haven't seen before. But to watch that stuff is to remember that not all wrestling is good, and as I believe the Attitude Era shows, there's still a hell of a lot of s**t even in the good eras.

I wanted to watch the old ECW shows - I watched 2 and realised that my mindset has gone well beyond violence and unprotected chair shots to the head. I haven't watched it since.

I started watching Nitro from the start - I watched 3 and, aside from some cool matches with Pillman, Liger and some other guys, these shows were boring as hell. I didn't continue.

Instead, I went straight to the week before the NWO angle - I watched up to (and including) the PPV that was 3 weeks after they debuted. I know this angle gets really hot - but apart from one hot angle that, in its infancy only rescued a really crap show for 1-2 segments a week, these shows still suck. I might go back to these... but I watched that PPV about 6 weeks ago, and I haven't gone to the next Nitro yet.

(as an aside, it's funny how critical we are of Raw now. I know 1995 was the end of a down-period, but the shows from this era are horrendous.)

I started watching the countdown shows - I've seen about 4-5 of these, but quickly realised that these are a bullshit, cheaply made insult to everyone who bought this Network expecting original content.

Don't get me wrong - I love the Network, and there's plenty of stuff I do enjoy. I do enjoy a lot of the original content; I enjoy a lot of the "outside the ring" stuff (ie. dvd documentaries); I've stopped bothering with Fox 8 ad breaks and watch NXT (it's been a bits s**t recently)... and I was another who really got it because I wasn't happy to pay $35/month to follow the product, but I'm more than happy to pay the $11-12/month Australian for it.

I guess I'm really saying don't let it intimidate you, cos you'll give up on a lot of what you try anyway if you're like me.

My favourite bit is something I never even considered in buying the Network - once you look past how far production values have come, the old World Class stuff is just mind-blowingly good, simple wrestling and storylines. I'm very busy with work these days, and I also "lose" a lot of my free time on cricket, A-League and NFL - so I don't get to watch as much of the World Class stuff as I'd like to... but the main reason I opened this thread wasn't to reply to Demonic Ascent - it was to suggest that you all give some WCCW stuff a go. (If you only want to watch one show, go for episode 54, Flair vs Kerry Von Erich... if you want to watch a storyline, try the 3 weeks leading up to that event as well)

Last edited:
I haven't seen any WCW ppvs before 96 bar maybe the odd one I picked up at the video shop back in the day (the Lethal Lottery one is one I remember and a "spin the wheel" gimmick on a Halloween Havoc maybe?) so I really want to get stuck into that old stuff.

I still love the hardcore stuff so will definitely work through ECW and am looking forward to the more alternative storylines and wrestling of guys like Mysterio, Eddie, Benoit etc before they became big.

I also missed most of WWF post 2002 so am looking forward to that (haven't even seen the Wrestlemanias from that period I think I haven't seen WM 20-27) so am looking forward to that but am waiting to work through where I'm at currently which is Survivor Series 99 and will watch it sequentially.

And then there's the old WCCW stuff as you said and the other older stuff that I'll flick to occasionally. I get the feeling I'll watch a bit of NXT then just probably the odd show mainly the specials though on what I've seen its worth investing an hour a week watching that rather than 3 hours to watch Raw (even though I skip through most of Raw anyway).

All in all as someone who was never considering getting the network I think I'll be holding onto it until WM at least and as long as they don't jack up the price probably longer - will probably end up splitting it with my bro as he'll want to watch the current PPV's at the least so for $6-7 a month why would I cancel. I can't imagine the price will stay so low though they're probably under charging for it if anything so I can see it eventually getting up to at least double what it is now.

30 minute iron man match, but i agree with you. that period of wcw is one of my favourites in wrestling. extremely underrated.

i remember around a decade ago i was kind of obsessed with owning original vhs copies of old wcw shows. would often spend $40 to $50 each on them

This is why wrestling should be run by a "wrestling guy" ala Bill Watts. You even got clean finishes to a championship match from Vader/Sting and the crowd was absoloutly stunned lol, i loved it. Yeah my brother and I have a very very large wrestling tape collection. All commercial masters ranging from WWF, NWA/WCW to AJPW/NJPW/AJW and alot of UWF/UWFi etc. still collect to this day.

Just a question if I got home half way through Survivor series and wanted to watch it from the very start is that possible with the network?
When you click it an option will come up saying "watch from start".

Say I've got people coming over tomorrow night to watch Survivor Series, will it be readily available to watch around 7pm?
Yes. It's readily available to watch right after it's finished.

Back