Future IRS

Remove this Banner Ad

tim cotrill

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So I've never really had any interest in the sport but tonight seeing all our AA boys run out I'll admit it was a fairly entertaining game, did everyone enjoy it this year and does it have a strong future if we keep bringing out our star players?

So I've never really had any interest in the sport but tonight seeing all our AA boys run out I'll admit it was a fairly entertaining game, did everyone enjoy it this year and does it have a strong future if we keep bringing out our star players?

If we take it seriously then yes it does. If the players treat it as a free holiday then no it doesn't.

I have been to three now and love them :)

Watched the last few and they where boring as sh*t

Didn't watch it tonight based on that but from what everyone is saying, it was a ripper game. Will definitely watch next time

Well there is certainly interest when the best players are available and playing - nearly 1000 posts on the game day thread this evening proves that. That level of posting is just as big as any regular season blockbuster match game day thread you will see on bf.

The risk of injury to a star will always be there though, and if (when) this happens the future of IR will again be questioned.

But look, it's the only form of rep footy we have, so let's make the most of it by selecting the best players and just enjoy it for what it is.

I went to the game. Was a sensational atmosphere. Like a mix between an AFL crowd, one day cricket (mexican wave) and soccer (Irish chanting etc). So much fun. Very entertaining game too. Will definitely go again next time it is in Perth.

the atmosphere at the city end was amazing tonight. so many irish in full voice in a very friendly atmosphere. hell the irish were singing the aussie national anthem
the pre game and post game festival was awesome too

i just wish it had a second leg in adelaide

the atmosphere at the city end was amazing tonight. so many irish in full voice in a very friendly atmosphere. hell the irish were singing the aussie national anthem
the pre game and post game festival was awesome too

i just wish it had a second leg in adelaide
There was ALOT of Irish everywhere!
Was a great atmosphere at the game, sell out crowd was good too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another great concept almost ruined by incompetence by Vlad and his cronies

Indigenous all stars, what were they thinking :rolleyes:

Under Gil, they did what they should have done all along, and it was a resounding success.

One match per year showcasing the best of the best of the AFL.

Its not rocket science.

Being overseas I have only watched the highlights, but from what I saw it was a really entertaining game. I think the key though is to not over do it. They should keep this format: our AA side and just the one game. The old format of 3 or so games is just over-kill. Play the 1, make it entertaining, keep people wanting more for next year. Another big tick for Gill IMO.

Loved it. The people of Perth deserve a huge wrap for getting behind it.

The best IR game I've seen, played in the right spirit, in front of a big noisy crowd.

As others have said, I also think a one game series annually is about right, think of it as an equivalent of the Pro Bowl in the US.

The tv coverage was ok, but right at the end, Basil and the captioners, please get the name of the Irish Captain right, it was embarrassing. It's Michael Murphy alright.

Last edited:
Yeah, quite liked it. I think if it continues in a simillar format it can do quite well. I was a bit worried at half time thinking, if this is how easily an AA team wins, it might not have legs, but the Irish guys showed they are up to the task and can compete, so I definitely think it's something that can work long-term. Another match next year at Croke park, then back and forth, back and forth. Kudos to those at Perth, but I wish it was played at the MCG.

Tried to watch it but honestly, it's as boring as bat s**t. There's nothing at stake and despite the fact that the game was competitive, I really couldn't care less who won or lost.

As an event to go to insure it would be fun. But something to watch on tv, no thanks.

The most annoying bit was the coverage. Cameron Ling could not have been more annoying if he tried. Dead set, some of the crap that he came out with was cringeworthy.

I believe the series has some sort of future, but I think the IR rules should be scrapped and we just play the Gaelic rules. There's all ready enough concessions made that the AFL players are playing a different game anyway. And at least by playing a real game there'd be something actually at stake. And perhaps if the North American GAA could get a rep side together it could be a tri series.

I thought it was amazing! Glad the Irish came back in the end to make it more interesting. Wasn't Fyfe supposed to be playing?

Yeah, enjoyed it.

Gotta admit still that my overriding emotion when the siren went was pretty much relief that Hanley and Rockliff weren't injured, but yeah, there is hope for the format if it is taken seriously.

Was pretty amusing when tempers were fraying a bit in the last few minutes and you heard the message go out to the umpires along the lines of "there is only a minute left, don't let it get out of control."

The memories from the total brawl tour in the mid 2000s still linger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back