FTA-TV 2017 AFL Broadcast rights

muppet007

Debutant
Jun 8, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I think it will be shared between Seven/Ten/Foxtel. Ten doesn't have enough in the bank to get the full FTA rights, in fact I don't think they'll have enough at all to bid.

I think it will be shared between Seven/Ten/Foxtel. Ten doesn't have enough in the bank to get the full FTA rights, in fact I don't think they'll have enough at all to bid.
Ten up on the sales block so might have Time Warner or someone similar funding them by then.

Sep 7, 2009
Bull Creek WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Man City, GS Warriors
Seven/Ten/Foxtel will be back to the future. Would like to see Ten partner up with Foxtel to give us the best AFL coverage. Live, Free and in HD. Seven also have Olympic commitments in 2020 and the Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast in 2018 which will interfere with AFL coverage.

Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
Seven/Ten/Foxtel will be back to the future. Would like to see Ten partner up with Foxtel to give us the best AFL coverage. Live, Free and in HD. Seven also have Olympic commitments in 2020 and the Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast in 2018 which will interfere with AFL coverage.
And Seven would have a major problem on its hands with most of their AFL commentators away on Olympic duty, as was the case for the 1992, 1996, 2008 Olympics. (The 2000 Olympics in Sydney was held after the AFL season, and the 2004 Games in Athens was when 7 didn't have the AFL rights.)

Connar

Team Captain
May 29, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Fremantle AFLW Team.
And Seven would have a major problem on its hands with most of their AFL commentators away on Olympic duty, as was the case for the 1992, 1996, 2008 Olympics. (The 2000 Olympics in Sydney was held after the AFL season, and the 2004 Games in Athens was when 7 didn't have the AFL rights.)

Yea, 1992 & 1996 Sandy & Bruce (Also away for 2008) as well as Dennis, Peter Landy & Drew Morphett were all away for the Olympics. Bruce went in 2012 (Nine had the Olympics TV Rights) & I imagine that Bruce, Hamish McLachlan & Basil Zempilas will all go in 2016 & I also imagine that Dennis will not go like he did in 2008. Dennis called the 2006 Commenwealth Games at Nine.

muppet007

Debutant
Jun 8, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Yea, 1992 & 1996 Sandy & Bruce (Also away for 2008) as well as Dennis, Peter Landy & Drew Morphett were all away for the Olympics. Bruce went in 2012 (Nine had the Olympics TV Rights) & I imagine that Bruce, Hamish McLachlan & Basil Zempilas will all go in 2016 & I also imagine that Dennis will not go like he did in 2008. Dennis called the 2006 Commenwealth Games at Nine.
Dennis is retiring at the end of the current broadcast rights.

Connar

Team Captain
May 29, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Fremantle AFLW Team.
A Year & a Half ago Bruce said if he had a choice between MCG & Flemington when he is retired, he will go to Flemington. To me I really hope that Ten has a better year in 2015 as they have also got the V8 Supercars TV Rights once again.

Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
A Year & a Half ago Bruce said if he had a choice between MCG & Flemington when he is retired, he will go to Flemington. To me I really hope that Ten has a better year in 2015 as they have also got the V8 Supercars TV Rights once again.
And you only have to look at the way Ten did the Bathurst 1000 (2006 for example), and then compare it to Seven.

Mar 5, 2005
Between the Big Sticks
AFL Club
West Coast
I am feeling upset there is no Sunday Night Football anymore!! I do enjoy Football on Sunday Nights. :cry:

Perhaps go with 5:40pm EST for games in Adelaide (5:10pm local) and Perth (3:40pm local).
The Crows were the pioneers of Sunday Night football in the early 90s while it keeps the game still in the arvo over in the west.

Connar

Team Captain
May 29, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Fremantle AFLW Team.
Perhaps go with 5:40pm EST for games in Adelaide (5:10pm local) and Perth (3:40pm local).
The Crows were the pioneers of Sunday Night football in the early 90s while it keeps the game still in the arvo over in the west.

There was a Sunday Night Game in the Last Round in 1997 between Port & St Kilda at Football Park, there was also another one a week later with the Qualifying Final between Geelong & North at the MCG.

speedybundy

All Australian
Jun 12, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Anyone wanting all games on free to air is deluding themselves, won't happen.

I really hope 9 put in a bid, as mentioned can't see them being serious contenders because of NRL/cricket but would be great all the same

muppet007

Debutant
Jun 8, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Nine Entertainment Co. CEO David Gyngell said at the company's AGM today that Nine will consider taking a part in the bidding process, but has said he doubts the rights could fetch as much as $2 billion.
Mr Gyngell also said Nine would consider taking part in the upcoming bidding process for AFL rights from 2017. Nine already had substantial sporting commitments in rugby league and cricket.

But he poured cold water on suggestions the rights could fetch as much as $2 billion.

"I think it's a joke, they're dreaming. They're not going to get it," he said

- Yahoo7 Finance

Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
Why didn't Ten not bid for the rights to televise the VFL, SANFL and WAFL competitions? Imagine a VFL game between Port Melbourne and Sandringham, or a SANFL match between Port and Norwood being shown live on Ten/ONE- in prime time, with a 7:00pm start (6:30pm pre-game show).

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
9 will only join the bidding process to mark up the price. so there will be very little competition for them when a year later when the nrl rights come up. the nrl will be looking for 1.5 billion and beyond

I don't see the NRL getting anywhere near the $1.5 billion figure. I doubt the AFL will get $1.6 billion either but I could be wrong as I did not think they would get $1.1 billion for the last TV rights deal.

Connar

Team Captain
May 29, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Fremantle AFLW Team.
I imagine that the Next AFL TV Rights will look like this:

Seven to Screen 4 AFL Matches per Round, all Finals, Brownlow Medals & Grand Finals live
Fox to Screen all 9 Matches per Round & all Finals & Brownlow Medals live.
Ten will screen 1 SANFL, VFL & WAFL Match per round, all Finals & Grand Finals live

Ten commentary Team SANFL:

PDP: Mark Soderstrom
SC: Tim Ginever
Boundary: Nick Butler

Ten Commentary Team VFL:

PDP: Stephen Quartermain
SC: Matthew Lloyd
Boundary: Mark Howard

Ten Commentary Team WAFL:

PDP: Tim Gossage
SC: Ben Allan
Boundary: Lachy Reid

Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
I imagine that the Next AFL TV Rights will look like this:

Seven to Screen 4 AFL Matches per Round, all Finals, Brownlow Medals & Grand Finals live
Fox to Screen all 9 Matches per Round & all Finals & Brownlow Medals live.
Ten will screen 1 SANFL, VFL & WAFL Match per round, all Finals & Grand Finals live

Ten commentary Team SANFL:

PDP: Mark Soderstrom
SC: Tim Ginever
Boundary: Nick Butler

Ten Commentary Team VFL:

PDP: Stephen Quartermain
SC: Matthew Lloyd
Boundary: Mark Howard

Ten Commentary Team WAFL:

PDP: Tim Gossage
SC: Ben Allan
So say if there's a state game on Ten between ie VFL and SANFL from Melbourne, the 10 commentary team would be:

Commentators: Stephen Quartermain, Mark Soderstrom
Special Comments: Matthew Lloyd, Tim Ginever
Boundary: Mark Howard, Nick Butler

Connar

Team Captain
May 29, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Fremantle AFLW Team.
So say if there's a state game on Ten between ie VFL and SANFL from Melbourne, the 10 commentary team would be:

Commentators: Stephen Quartermain, Mark Soderstrom
Special Comments: Matthew Lloyd, Tim Ginever
Boundary: Mark Howard, Nick Butler

What do you mean?

For WAFL Games the Ten commentary Team would be:

Commentators: Tim Gossage
Special Comments: Ben Allan

Back